Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread Yesterday, 01:20 AM   #1
MidoriUma

Destroying people's costumes

I was waiting until I was able to type this without almost trembling with anger, but it's been almost six days now and no such luck, so whatever.

DO NOT FUCKING TOUCH SOMEONE'S COSTUME WITHOUT PERMISSION.

I spent five months and over a hundred dollars of materials (including paint and worbla) on a costume that I was super proud of and so ludicrously excited to wear for the one big anime convention in my country.

And what happens? Some piece of human trash (and yes, there are people with no redeeming worth in this world), JUMPS on my costume in the hotel lobby while I'm checking in. Not an accident, not a mistake, it was highly visible and nowhere near anyone's travel path. Costume crushed.

The person who did it kept running around. I was too stunned to speak or even react in any way. Some woman came up and "apologized", saying I could probably fix it and not to get mad because her son had autism. Um no, I can't fix it, not without many dozens of hours of work and new materials at the very least. Definitely not for the convention that weekend. I waited all year for this and in 30 seconds it was taken away.

I told the convention on the off chance that they could do something, but they wouldn't because it happened off con property. The hotel was extremely apologetic and offered me a free breakfast (??wtf??) but refused to give me their names or contact information to pursue legal action. So yeah, I walked away empty handed.

Apologies if this seems like a stupid rant, but for the love of God do NOT touch people's costumes without their explicit prior permission.

MidoriUma is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread Yesterday, 01:26 AM   #2
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Jeez. Some people are just plain pieces of shit.
My friend told me about one of her friends that was cosplaying Maka from Soul Eater, and some chick I guess walked by, saw it (in plain sight) and stepped on it and didn't even bother to say sorry. Just stepped on it and kept moving.
-Peach (Super Smash bros 3DS)
-Gohan (DBZ, Cell Saga, Either SSJ1 or SSJ2)
-Nepgear (Hyperdimension Neptunia)
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 01:37 AM   #3
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Autism or not, if someone can't control themselves to the point of not doing such an absolutely terrible thing (or hey, what was this parent doing instead of keeping their kid from running around the lobby?) they do NOT belong at a convention! That's an absolute nightmare, but I'm afraid even if you had their names pursuing legal action is basically pointless. IF they decided your case was valid (a destroyed costume done by a kid with zero self control, not very likely), it costs a hell of a lot more in legal fees than a new costume ever will (unless you get a competent judge who makes them also pay that out? Absolutely not worth it. My mom's a contractor and has had to drag small claims cases through the court system so many damn times, and RARELY gets all that she's owed (were talking in the thousands to tens of thousands, here. Even with a court order to pay up, barely anything can be enforced and its yet more legal fees and court dates to enforce it).
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/

Last edited by ShinobiXikyu : Yesterday at 01:41 AM.
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 03:07 AM   #4
Amanita

A cousin of mine is what you could call "Special Needs", and his parents never made excuses for him like that. They taught him how to behave, and didn't let him get away with stuff like that. As a result, he's great to be around now that he's grown up. Parents who let their kids get away with bloody murder and expect everyone else to just suck it up and not get mad are doing their children no favors, none whatsoever.

People who can't keep their hands to themselves or control their kids are one reason I opted to make my costume armor out of leather this year. It's much tougher and more likely to survive unwanted manhandling. Too bad that both Nova Scotia and New York City law both probably frown on attaching a few of these things to my gauntlets:
http://www.studsandspikes.com/spikes...awz-large.html
Unread Yesterday, 06:54 AM   #5
fujyoshi
half elf flame haze

I'm on the (autism)spectrum too, but as a cosplayer even I know not to tackle someone like that who put that kinda work into there cosplay over a 6 month time span and money spent etc. My guess is that the kid was probably more a moderate case and probably was there first time to a convention, though the parent should have still told them how to act beforehand x-x Last year I worked on my Ikazuchi no Fusanoshin cosplay literally up until the week of the convention and competed in it and everything I'd be pissed as I don't know what if someone broke a part of it. <,<

AnimeNEXT 2015 cosplay
CC(empress) -code geass
Lavi(3rd uniform) - D gray man
fujyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 07:13 AM   #6
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

At the risk of being flamed, I think this was just a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. You said this happened off property so the hotel had nothing to do with the convention, and if you have a kid with severe autism it's really not his fault. I'm really sorry that happened to you, but the kid really didn't know any better. Should the mother have kept a closer watch? Probably; but you don't know what happened right before that. She could have been holding his hand and then he sprinted away when she was caught off guard. It's awful that your costume was ruined, I wouldn't wish that on anyone, but this really was just a tragic accident. It's not like a fully functioning adult glomped you and ruined your costume.
------------------
Gryffindor and proud!!!
------------------
Fabulousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 07:27 AM   #7
NaughtsApproach

i think calling a kid who has autism scum of the earth because he doesnt have the knowledge of how to present himself in public yet is really out of line....

yes, he should be learning these social skills, especially since he had autism, and it doesnt come naturally. and yes the mother should have probably kept a better eye on him to prevent him jumping on you. AND yes you have the right to be mad, i would be....but to call him someone who has no redeeming qualities as a human being is damn near as bad as him jumping on your costume.

things happen...bad things...deal with it. confront the mother at the time and have a DECENT conversation. and get over it.

(i will probably be flamed for this but i am an adult and i will get over it)

Western CO Cosplay group

:Website:
http://futagocosplay.wix.com/futagocosplay

:FaceBook page:
http://www.facebook.com/WeAreFutagoCosplay

Take a look at our pages!<3
NaughtsApproach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 08:06 AM   #8
AnimeLuxray25
v I made them all. v

Free breakfast will rebuild your costume, obviously. That sucks, Midori. I'm really sorry this happened to you, no cosplayer deserves all their hard work being ruined like that. Autism, while that's totally understandable it doesn't excuse such behavior. Yet, there's no telling what happened between him and his guardian in the moments leading up to that. I hope he didn't damage any other costumes. "Glomping" is banned at conventions for a reason.

~ " don't judge other cosplayers, 'cause in the end we all look silly wearing wig caps " :3 ~

2015 Cosplay: Poochyena Gijinka. [Pokémon] - 100%
2016 Cosplay: Leafeon Gijinka. [Pokémon] - 35%

2015 Conventions: Omni Expo, Anime Festival Orlando, Holiday Matsuri.

deviantART: AnimeLuxray25
AnimeLuxray25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 08:14 AM   #9
Syon

I think if something like this happened to me, I would rage. That kid would learn quickly to resepct other peoples properties, if I got to catch him.
Unread Yesterday, 09:08 AM   #10
MidoriUma

To clarify, this wasn't a child, he was around 16-20. That's plenty old enough to control yourself, autism or otherwise. It's pretty easy to tell me to "get over it" when it's not your time, money, or dreams that got crushed.

MidoriUma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 09:29 AM   #11
Syon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidoriUma View Post
To clarify, this wasn't a child, he was around 16-20. That's plenty old enough to control yourself, autism or otherwise. It's pretty easy to tell me to "get over it" when it's not your time, money, or dreams that got crushed.
16 to 20 ? Holy shit...
Unread Yesterday, 09:31 AM   #12
Tiara

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidoriUma View Post
I feel like do not have a very clear understanding of autism (hint: some people have it more severe than others).

It definitely sucks he broke your costume, but I think the parent is more to blame in this situation.

Last edited by Tiara : Yesterday at 09:35 AM.
Tiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 09:53 AM   #13
Destinyamber
大好き

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiara View Post
I feel like do not have a very clear understanding of autism (hint: some people have it more severe than others).
^ This.

I really do feel for you Midori and I understand your anger, but you can move on from this. The money/time loss really sucks especially when you put a lot into it and don't have much money/time to spare redoing it. I would be upset about that too, but you can always try and make it again when you have the time/money. I'm sorry someone destroyed your costume, but I just can't understand the intense anger you have against that autistic person. The spectrum of autism can be so wide and even a normal parent can't keep an eye on every single action their child does. Yeah, the parent probably should have reacted better, but what could they have done in that situation besides apologize?

Shit happens. You can be angry all you want, but eventually you got to let it go and decide what you want to do from here. Taking it out on an autistic person isn't going to make your costume not destroyed.

2015 Con Schedule:
Tora-Con: Apr 18 &19
ColossalCon: June 4-7
CamillusCon: July 11
Liberty City Anime Con: Aug 28-30
Roc-Con: Sept 11-13
Destinyamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 09:57 AM   #14
Kitsuko

If you don't mind me asking, how badly damaged was it and for what costume? And is it beyond any sort of repair? :c I know Worbla can be remolded with some patience and the right heating tools, but if he actually snapped any of the pieces, there might also be a way to fuse it together with something and just hide that part with paint. It sucks you'll have to fix it, but hopefully it's salvageable and all that money won't go to waste.

As for the guy who did this, autism or not I don't really find that as a valid excuse. I mean yeah, this guy was probably on the moderate to severe side of the autism spectrum, but I've been around quite a few people with autism and usually they're well behaved regardless of their issues. That's probably because their parents don't make excuses for them and let them get away with everything ever. The fact that the mom didn't even offer to pay the damage cost is beyond frustrating. If her kid is that hard to handle and that out of control, I'm sorry, but he shouldn't be going to public events like that. Sorry if that makes me sound like a monster, but seriously if you know your child has to be watched constantly and you can't keep them in check; don't bring them to stuff like that.

I would have instantly talked to the mother about paying for damages because it really is her fault.

Megara from Hercules- 40%
Morrigan from Dragon Age- 17%
The Abandoned Doll from Bloodborne- 0%
Lucky Chloe from Tekken 7- 0%
Anna from Frozen-- Ican'thelpit (This will likely get dropped if I run out of time on the other costumes)- 0%
Kitsuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 10:15 AM   #15
Tiara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsuko View Post
If you don't mind me asking, how badly damaged was it and for what costume? And is it beyond any sort of repair? :c I know Worbla can be remolded with some patience and the right heating tools, but if he actually snapped any of the pieces, there might also be a way to fuse it together with something and just hide that part with paint. It sucks you'll have to fix it, but hopefully it's salvageable and all that money won't go to waste.

As for the guy who did this, autism or not I don't really find that as a valid excuse. I mean yeah, this guy was probably on the moderate to severe side of the autism spectrum, but I've been around quite a few people with autism and usually they're well behaved regardless of their issues. That's probably because their parents don't make excuses for them and let them get away with everything ever. The fact that the mom didn't even offer to pay the damage cost is beyond frustrating. If her kid is that hard to handle and that out of control, I'm sorry, but he shouldn't be going to public events like that. Sorry if that makes me sound like a monster, but seriously if you know your child has to be watched constantly and you can't keep them in check; don't bring them to stuff like that.

I would have instantly talked to the mother about paying for damages because it really is her fault.
The part in bold you pretty much answered yourself in the sentences. How they act will depend mostly on the support and help they get from their family/caregivers. And maybe this kid is usually well behaved and this was just a bad time.
Tiara is offline   Reply With Quote