Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-21-2011, 09:06 AM   #1
ZombehPanda
Lil Disturbing / Lil Cute

Buying vs. Making?

Is it looked down upon in the cosplay community to buy your cosplay instead of making it yourself? I mean, I know creators out there who sell would say no but I'm certain there has to be some ratio that makes their own and looks down on people who buy.

I have no sewing experience. When I did try when I was younger I sucked at it horribly. I loveeeeee designing clothes on paper but have never learned how to take that creativity to the real world. Will I still be acceptable to the cosplay community if I wear bought cosplays for at least the first year I try out cosplaying?

Future Cosplay~
-Amu- Shugo Chara (0%)
-Chi- Chobits (0%)
-Selphie- FinalFantasy VIII (0%)
-Jill Valentine- Resident Evil (0%)

Current Cosplay~
-Misa Amane- Death Note
ZombehPanda is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-21-2011, 09:48 AM   #2
Pocketfightr
Merc who grants wishes

This topic seems to come up every other week. If you can't make, it's perfectly acceptable to buy as long as you don't enter a competition and claim you made it.
Nene (Bubblegum Crisis) -eventually?

2014 Cons:
Detour
Acen
Dragon*Con
Nebraskon
Pocketfightr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2011, 09:48 AM   #3
jalynissuper!

well.... I personally think it'd be ok. for a first or even a second cosplay. As most cosplayers need to start somewhere. But my suggestion to you, would be to make a few of the smaller things yourself. Like if you were to get a Miku Hatsune outfit online add more details yourself as most online sellers make a very basic cosplay.

As for sewing ability. I'm personally not very good myself. I can't sew a straight line to save my life. but i keep trying. and once my mom has grown tired of hearing me curse at the sew machine for the millionth time she usually offers assistance. lol Ask your mom or a fellow cosplay friend for help!
jalynissuper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2011, 09:58 AM   #4
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

I make my own out of cheapness mostly (jk).

Okies, on a serious note and to answer the question, no one will care (unless you enter a contest) whether you made your cosplay or not. To be honest, after 8 years of cosplaying, I have never been asked if I made what i was wearing. I only get asked about props, or where I bought my wig.
mokulen22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2011, 10:06 AM   #5
Saki Ree
LETS REV IT UP! :3

Everyone has different abilities. Some people cant sew, so they buy their costumes. :3 its perfectly acceptable!
Cosplay isnt a competition on who has the best costume and who bought theirs and who made theirs. Its about having FUN!

AnimeNEXT 2011:
Judai Yuki - YuGiOh GX
WRGP!Bruno - YuGiOh 5Ds
Edward Elric - Fullmetal Alchemist

My DeviantART: *click*
Saki Ree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2011, 10:20 AM   #6
ZombehPanda

Ya I was wondering because even if I bought most of the pieces of my cosplay I am going through the trouble to find the pieces to buy. It's not like there is a premade set of the outfit, ears, hair, shoes, stockings, gloves, etc all in one. If you took the time and trouble to mix/match the bought pieces to make a good cosplay can't you still enter in a convention cosplay contest? As long as people know you didn't create the parts just the overall look.

BTW sorry if this is repetative. I'm just now starting and I guess I just want to be as legit as possible.

Future Cosplay~
-Amu- Shugo Chara (0%)
-Chi- Chobits (0%)

Current Cosplay~
-Misa Amane- Death Note
Unread 03-21-2011, 11:54 AM   #7
jalynissuper!

you could probably enter the hall cosplay contest. which goes on all day. i don't really know how that works though. but masquerade contests usually have the rule that the cosplay has to be made at least 80% or some other percent by you. they ask about the construction of the outfit, and other things to see if you really made it. You could probably do a skit but not be judged if that's what your wanting but with buying the items, the judges will probably just write disqualified on their sheet of paper and move on.
jalynissuper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2011, 12:14 PM   #8
ZombehPanda

Ah, that makes sense. I do want to try my hand at creating later on but I figured for my first cosplay I'd enjoy just buying. I have some stuff I have always wanted to make just for personal keepsake. Like I've love to make a specific hoodie I've always had in mind. My mother says the hard part is knowing the pattern. Are patterns hard to find? I'm not sure I understand what a pattern would be? Is it just tracing a already formatted shape and cutting it from material and then sewing it properly?

Future Cosplay~
-Amu- Shugo Chara (0%)
-Chi- Chobits (0%)

Current Cosplay~
-Misa Amane- Death Note
Unread 03-21-2011, 12:15 PM   #9
DS454

We talked about this on an other forum not to long ago and this is the best answer with a easy understanding with out be to confusing

"Think of proper cosplayer to a costume as a proper chief is to a meal. A chief doesn't grow all the vegetables or butchers the meat but he/she seeks out his ingredients and combines them into his/her own creation. He/She might use a recipe but those are more suggested guidelines rather then LAW"

If you want to compete in a store bought cosplay, prepare for a beating of your life from other cosplayers that compete for a living. I am not one of them people, but once your name is out there that you enter and store bought it is hard to come back from that.

NOW, if you just enjoy dressing up, BUY IT ALL! haha I am so tired of making cosplays, that I am going to start buying them. As I am taking a break and have a baby due in aug. Wife and I really dont have time to make them, so we just buy a few and goto a con and have fun with friends.

If you go to other forums and post alot, you get to know people and get to ask stuff and if people live close a nice saturday and a pizza all ways good to a cosplay school class. I have done that for people.

Have a great time learning your new trade! and allways ALLWAYS if you learn to sew buy DOUBLE!

Anime Boston 2010
Duo Maxwell
Dark Magician
Dark Paladin (yugioh Dark Magician Hybred) w/ Dark Paladin Girl

Connecticon 2010
Duo Maxwell

AnimeNext 2010
Dark Paladin w/ Dark Paladin Girl
Duo Maxwell
Maybe Dark Magician.
DS454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2011, 12:35 PM   #10
ZombehPanda

Thanks for the kind words of support Ya I'm not interested so much in competeing though I had a mild curiousity about it. I'll worry about that mmmmmmmmuuuuuch later. XD

btw! I love Duo Maxwell! I saw that on your profile you said you have cosplayed as him before. Next time take pics :P I wanna see how it turned out.

Future Cosplay~
-Amu- Shugo Chara (0%)
-Chi- Chobits (0%)

Current Cosplay~
-Misa Amane- Death Note
Unread 03-21-2011, 12:40 PM   #11
harmonyisarine

Patterns aren't hard to find at all. Just go to a local fabric store or peruse a bit online and bam! Patterns. The organizations at stores are usually pretty easy once you get it down, but I'm sure the associates would help if you asked until you got the hang of it. I used to sew exclusively by pattern, then I began altering patterns, and now I free-hand draft almost all of what I sew to save on money (patterns can be cheap, but I need everything I can get for cloth).

The patterns themselves are just outlines of sections of the garment on thin paper. You cut the pieces out, pin them to your cloth and cut out the pieces. Then you follow the directions for sewing them all together. Read through the directions at least once prior to starting and, if you don't have an experienced sewer on hand, google anything that you don't understand. Tutorials for everything online.

As far as buying costumes, I don't see the issue at all except, as said previously, if entering competitions that specify it must be made by you. Heck, if I didn't know how to sew or decided to cut them off, all of the people in my cosplay group would have to go out and buy their costumes, but we'd still have fun! And if you're willing to spend more money and want a better made costume, just find a commissioner rather than the mass-made costumes.
harmonyisarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2011, 12:55 PM   #12
DS454

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombehPanda View Post
Thanks for the kind words of support Ya I'm not interested so much in competeing though I had a mild curiousity about it. I'll worry about that mmmmmmmmuuuuuch later. XD

btw! I love Duo Maxwell! I saw that on your profile you said you have cosplayed as him before. Next time take pics :P I wanna see how it turned out.
You know, I have a ton of him and not one on here! I can not do it for some reason (post photos here)

AS for competing, it is a real pain, stress and %^&*!

My wife and myself run our own con and I hear a person say " I work on it for a few months" I work on mine/ours for a good year, from the time a con ends, I think what I wana do next year and start it and most times finish a few hours before judging. It is really fun, most of my friends all win in masters up and down the east coast. We have to start going to other cons hahaha can not keep winning at the same con every year, not nice!

BUT really learn bit by bit and if you see a cosplayer and it is a odd cosplay, like my Dark Paladin from yugioh, you know that it is not store bought. Feel free to walk up to them and ask stuff. I know I enjoy it 90% of the time the other 10% I am tired or need food. If that is the case, I tell people, I am going to eat and get changed, find me later and we can chat. 99.9% of the friends have no problem with bringing you to our over packed hotel room that should be called a storage unit, dress frames, sewing machines, material, repair kits, booze, etc. If we have 4 people in my room, we have 6-8 cosplays on dress forms. IT really is exciting when you met people and get to that level of cosplay and you are new to it, so you would be lke a kid in a free candy store when that door opens. I love that look on peoples faces that I just meet and they come in the room.

Oh dont glomp! people will kill you! BUT also feel free to come up and ask for a hug and a photo. You will learn that in years to come as you make your own stuff.

Anything else you wana ask, feel free to pm me or post here

Anime Boston 2010
Duo Maxwell
Dark Magician

Connecticon 2010
Duo Maxwell

AnimeNext 2010
Dark Paladin w/ Dark Paladin Girl
Duo Maxwell
Maybe Dark Magician.
DS454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2011, 01:20 PM   #13
Kiotoko_Solo
HEY! LIS-.. *shot*

Buying is perfectly fine if you know the boundaries.

Maybe it's me but Ive had bad experience with people that buy theirs. ._. Ive had people who bought theirs cuss at me, mock me, call my cosplays absolute crap just for the fact mine was handmade and not "perfectly" manufactured. Well Ive run into so many of those kinda people, I can spot one from a mile away.

Just don't mock people who make their cosplays.

Don't enter a contest saying "I'm going to beat all of you (insert bad word here) cause I BOUGHT my cosplay." (TRUE STORY MAN.)

And don't claim the bought cosplay as your own. (had that happen to, only reason I know it was bought is cause it had the freakin tag still on it ._.)

Awards won:
MechaCon IV Cosplay Contest: Best in Show
LouisiANIME Cosplay Contest: Best Craftsmanship Award
LouisiANIME Ball Room Contets: 3rd and 2nd place
Animania April 2010: 1st Place
Kiotoko_Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2011, 02:38 PM   #14
KittyKax
Little Miss Starlight

There's no shame is buying your costume, with me I buy costumes because if there's a cosplay I wanna wear (Ed from Fullmetal Alchemist, Yuuki from Vampire Knight) I don't wanna wait till I become a better sew-er to make it, I wanna wear it now! lol
And we cosplay buyers I think go through just as much stress buying as cosplayers who make theirs, sure it's two different situations, but the one who makes it has to find the right fabric, cut the fabric into patterns, sew and add the details, etc. We buyers have to research sellers/commissioners, find the best deal, then WAIT for our costume to come worrying over whether it'll come in time lol

And like someone else pointed out, 90% of the time nobody's gonna ask if you bought your costume or not, it's the don't ask don't tell policy lol, and if they do ask, then just be honest, no shame in it :3 an
Unread 03-21-2011, 03:08 PM   #15
ZombehPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS454 View Post
IT really is exciting when you met people and get to that level of cosplay and you are new to it, so you would be lke a kid in a free candy store when that door opens. I love that look on peoples faces that I just meet and they come in the room.

Oh dont glomp! people will kill you! BUT also feel free to come up and ask for a hug and a photo.
HAHAHA I DO NOT glomp. OMG I know what you mean though. Overactive people who will tackle you to the floor. That stuff hurts D:

You are so right. I'd love to see that. Would be so awe inspiring.

@Kiotoko_Solo: That's horrible! Wow that's sad that people would act like that. I guess there are people like that in every bunch. I'm really not like that. I think it's so much cooler if you know how to make stuff! I don't deny the ones who can make their own are much more skilled than myself which is why it would make sense to only let creators compete in cosplay contests. After some thought I realized it's a lot more dedication.

Future Cosplay~
-Amu- Shugo Chara (0%)
-Chi- Chobits (0%)

Current Cosplay~
-Misa Amane- Death Note