Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Fullmetal Alchemist

Unread 03-22-2011, 05:39 AM   #1
Ryushi612

Roy's Gloves

Hey, Im thinking about doing a Roy Mustang Cosplay this summer and of course one thing you can't be without for roy are the classic Flame Alchemist gloves. I have seen a bunch sold online for cheap, but they always seem to be of remarkably poor quality, I was wondering if anyone had ever tried to make their own, and if so what kind of process made it look the best. Thanks.
Ryushi612 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-22-2011, 06:41 AM   #2
ZombehPanda
Lil Disturbing / Lil Cute

The Roy outfit I showed you has gloves included. I can't speak for the quality but I'd assume it's nice like the rest of the outfit. :P

Future Cosplay~
-Amu- Shugo Chara (0%)
-Chi- Chobits (0%)
-Selphie- FinalFantasy VIII (0%)
-Jill Valentine- Resident Evil (0%)

Current Cosplay~
-Misa Amane- Death Note
ZombehPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2011, 07:08 PM   #3
lynlynlora
has the worst ideas ever.

could always jut buy white gloves and put the pattern on there yourself, probably with a stencil and a dye pen or something lik that. tricky, though.
Unread 11-02-2011, 01:43 PM   #4
harmonyisarine

We actually made gloves for our Roy. I agree with the quality of the online gloves, and I also wanted a cloth with a bit of shimmer/metallic element, something that looked like it should be able to make a spark when snapped. With this in mind, I stopped by Jo-Ann's and got a small amount (1/8 or 1/4 yd, can't remember which) 4-way stretch swimsuit fabric in white. Any 4-way stretch fabric will work for this method, though.

To make a nice but super easy Roy glove, just get your fabric, your Roy's hand (preferably still attached to your Roy), and a pen or pencil, something with a pointy tip (chalk won't work). Fold your fabric so that you have a square of fabric a bit bigger than the hand, right sides together. To made the next parts easier, just cut the square off the rest of the fabric now. Have your Roy put their hand on the fabric, hand-turkey style (in case you don't do hand turkeys, that's with fingers splayed, but not the entire way). Trace around the hand, and a few inches up the wrist. Remove hand, sew along that line. It's fun but absolutely unnecessary to try the glove on now (you'll have a square webbed hand!). cut the extra fabric off very close to the stitch line. Fray check if the fabric seems to want to fray. Try the glove on now, and figure out where along the wrist to cut it. Cut that edge with a bit extra to turn under, and hem it. Now turn the glove right side out and draw the symbol on with a fabric paint marker (I found them at Jo-Anns). Make sure the glove is on when you do this! Voila! Super easy glove (and I was scared it would take forever, it took maybe 10 minutes start to finish (an artist friend did the circle, I'm not nearly so good at drawing)).

This is the only pic we've really got online yet.
harmonyisarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

We went out and bought a pair of satin white gloves for our roys costume. And then procedeed to create the stencil! We used a silk screener cause we had access for it, but you could tape the stencil down n use either puffy paint or fabric silk screener paint (both can be found at your local craft store)
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote