Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Street Fighter

Unread 03-22-2011, 04:53 PM   #1
princeofdacosmo

Ryu costume (street fighter)

Hi! im still trying to learn how to post stuff i really never make my own threads b/c i dont know how they work but i need help fixing up the top part of Ryu's outfit.(and alot of other parts)

Im trying to rip the sleeves but i cant get them to look right im using scissors and my hands but i cant get the right look.

Somone told me to add pictures to what i have so far so i think i did. The two pictures are of me and i also tried getting as strong looking as him but it didnt work at all T.T and i only have a few weeks till the con. I also want to know how to make it so that the costume doesn't wrinkle around the shoulders.

I also wanted to know why when i looked up for reference there is one Ryu which has darker short hair and another with more light brown longer hair

princeofdacosmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-22-2011, 05:53 PM   #2
Hayroon
Vampire Hunter

Well the difference in hair color is probably just because of different artists and just use modge podge or fabric stiffener to keep the shoulders from wrinkling.
Hayroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
princeofdacosmo

what is modge podge? and should i cut the sleeves down more?
Unread 03-22-2011, 06:11 PM   #4
daylight
Sugar Junkie

modge podge
Unread 03-22-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
princeofdacosmo

nooo i mean like will it make it hard like a rock or will it still be flexible? i see a bunch of things on how to remove it on clothing but nothing about using it for clothes. i meant on his past experience what it does to clothes
Unread 03-22-2011, 08:35 PM   #6
IddaKnoe
Idda Knoe

Is the wrinkling you're talking about from the armpit to the shoulder/neck? Assuming that's what you're talking about, it's because a gi isn't meant to be worn open like Ryu wears them. There is all that fabric to cover your chest that's pushed back. If you look at the second picture, do you see how it's ripped around the arm? It looks like you cut the sleeve off just before the seam. It looks like you need to open the armpit of it up more, and do the ripping there too. That should relieve the bunching, and it would keep the area around the arm pit from rubbing uncomfortably too.
I would be brave, for there is much to dare.
I would be friend of all—the foe, the friendless;
I would be giving, and forget the gift;
I would be humble, for I know my weakness;
I would look up, and laugh, and love, and lift." - Howard A. Walter
IddaKnoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2011, 09:45 PM   #7
princeofdacosmo

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo that makes so much more sense! i noticed he had larger arm openings and i wasnt finished cuttign the sleeves. id rather have too much fabric than too little. but the wrinkles were even more until i ripped it under the armpit a bit. i just have to do it more thank you
Unread 03-22-2011, 10:17 PM   #8
IddaKnoe
Idda Knoe

It's not how much you cut away as much as where you are cutting it from. Try pinching the fabric up toward the arm hole, and see where it helps the most. Then take a little off, and test it again. Repeat as much as you need. When you have it where you want it do it on the other sleeve. Like you noticed ripping it releases that bunching too. To avoid taking away too much when you are cutting keep in mind you'll be ripping it, and that it will loosen it up more. Glad I could help
I would be brave, for there is much to dare.
I would be friend of all—the foe, the friendless;
I would be giving, and forget the gift;
I would be humble, for I know my weakness;
I would look up, and laugh, and love, and lift." - Howard A. Walter
IddaKnoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2011, 01:26 PM   #9
aznwolverine
I lika do da cha cha

? Tbh, it looks fine to me, but I love that dedication. It might be from the gi base itself. Like what material it's made from or the size.

And yeah Ryu's hair got dark as he gets older. It's really up to the artist sometimes.
aznwolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 11:49 PM   #10
saleen98r

Cheap fun costume

I went with the easy route and just bought the costume. I'm lazy. In character, no smile here because we all know Ryu don't smile.

saleen98r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2014, 11:59 PM   #11
Wolverine

Yeah, it's weird. The different artists that have drawn/rendered Ryu throughout his many game + media appearances through the years have each given him an almost unique look based on his/her (-referring to the artist-) interpretation of the character, despite Ryu having the same exact clothes and overall char. design among practically all of his various renditions and such. Example: Ryu has an almost buzzcut-styled haircut in SF IV compared to much longer locks in SF II.
Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote