Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-23-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
silver*shooter
Fledgeling Cosplayer
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 16
Tips For Calorie Cutters

1. Drink your coffee black. I'm sure you've heard it before, but I can't stress it enough- black coffee tastes amazing, and without all the added sugars/ calories from milk and cream and whatnot, its SO healthy for you. The caffiene speeds your metabolism, so you can lose fat faster, and it helps digestion. Black coffee is magical.

2. ALMOND MILK. Almondmilkalmondmilkalmondmilk. It is SO incredibly good for you, actually better for you than regular milk as far as vitamins go, and its only 40 calories for a cup of unsweetened almond milk! If you are a cerial addict like myself, and you have your Lucky Charms or Special K or Cheerio's or whatever, and you eat cerial for breakfast, lunch, and dinner (seriously, I LIVE off of this stuff, so I'm assuming I'm not alone lol) then a great way to make a better bowl of cerial is to cut out the calories from the milk and use almond milk. It's healthier than/ thicker than/ more satisfying than/ more vitamin-enriched than skim milk and soy milk. SOOO switch to almond milk! SERIOUSLY!

3. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT. SKIP. BREAKFAST. Breakfast is actually supposed to be your second-to-heaviest meal of the day... So go ahead, scramble two eggs (you don't have to eat the yellow part if you don't want to- its only full of fat. The white part has all the protiens/ nutrients that you need.) and grab a slice of Smart Wonderbread (50 calories per slice, no high fructose corn syrup) and toast it, slap on some jam. Drink a glass of almond milk or black coffee with it all. You'll feel full for a very long time, and it'll jump-start your metabolism.

4. Only eat when you are HUNGRY. Yes, I mean stomach-grumbling, pain inside you hungry, not 'oooh chocolate, it tastes good so I'm going to eat it' hungry... if you know what I mean. Listen to what your body tells you... not what your tastebuds tell you. Seriously. If you're really trying to lose weight, and you eat five oreos, and at the end of the week you haven't lost any weight... well, those oreos just made you depressed in contrast to the few moments in which you were eating them and thought they were wonderful. Now, this doesn't mean that you can't snack- like I said, eat when you're HUNGRY. But grab a banana or an apple instead.

5. Don't skip lunch. Lunch is supposed to be your largest meal of the day. Make yourself a sammich with that 50 calorie smart bread I told you about in #3, and put ham, lettuice, cheese, mayo, whatever in it. Eat some fruit with it, drink black coffee or some otherwise low-calorie drink, have a yogurt and a small salad with it... go all-out. Have fun with lunch. Lunch is your friend. Make sure you eat it in the afternoon, though. Not at 11:30 am... It's too soon after breakfast, and you'll feel hungry later.

6. Eat a light dinner. You're not going to be doing very much at the end of the day, so don't eat a ton because you won't have any time to burn off those calories. So yeah. Light dinner.

7. Protien is GOOD for you! Protien speeds your metabolism and makes you HEALTHY and STRONG. (Great, now I sound like my mother lol.) Eat Cliff bars or Luna bars, or Cliff Kids bars because if you read the vitamins on the back of the wrapper, you'll be shocked to know that one cliff bar, averaging 240 calories, has 100% of your daily Vitamin E inside it! Not to mention all the b-vitamins, and ohmygod I don't even know all of them. They're just SO GOOD FOR YOU. EAT CLIFF BARS DAMMIT!

8. Make sure you drink at least 8 cups of water every day. I can not stress enough how important that is, especially with all the coffee. Coffee dries you out and can cause maaajor headaches if you don't drink enough water. Besides that, water is just plain good for you. It helps with metabolism, and if you drink 8 cups of water every day for a week and you didn't already, you'll probably lose 5-10 lbs. Why? WATER WEIGHT. When you don't drink enough water, your body retains fluids. It might make you look bloated a bit at first, but that really only happens when you drink too much water at once... Your body will take what it needs, then store some water molecules alongside the fat cells in your body, giving you the bloated appearance. So drink your water throughout the day... Don't go all day without, then at the end be like "oops, I forgot water today. *chugs*" That is not good for you.

*9. If you're not a terribly big fan of eating two heavy meals and one light meal with snacks every day (it's not for everyone) then try eating 5 SMALL meals throughout the day. By SMALL meals, I mean a bowl of cerial (with almond milk ;D ) for breakfast (maybe round 8 am?), an apple and a yogurt around 10 am, half a white-meat sandwich on Smart Wonderbread at 12, another bowl of cerial with almondmilk around 3 pm, a banana and a slice of toast at 5, and a chicken breast with mushrooms and rice at 7. Like I said, SMALL MEALS. If you can't do that without feeling totally hungry, then do the other one, but if you can do this, then its a lot better for your metabolism.

10. No Sugar Fiber Powder. It's 20 calories per packet, fills you up, and keeps you regular.

11. Eat red meat only 2-3 times a week. Red meat has a lot of good fats (yes, GOOD fats, fats that your brain needs to function properly) but it can be high in calories. Get lean cuts of ground loin and make them into a bunch of spheres, then slap them on the grill. You get healthy, home-made, delicious hamburgers. But on other days, try eating chicken and turkey instead. It's lower in calories and plenty good for you.

Good luck, loves.

Shopping list:
Almond Milk (stay away from the chocolate almond milk... it defeats the purpose of low-calories and is addicting.)
Cliff bars
Smart Wonderbread
Fruits
Vegetables
Soup (NOT CAMPBELLS! EW! SO MUCH SODIUM! SO BAD FOR YOU!)
Fruit on The Bottom Yogurt
Fruit Leathers (forgot to mention, only 50 calories and delicious snacks)
Instant Coffee
Green Tea with Chai Mate' or Celestial Seasonings' Morning Thunder (mmmm)


<3

Last edited by silver*shooter : 03-23-2011 at 02:54 PM.
silver*shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 03-23-2011, 01:49 PM   #2
Royaline
☆彡
 
Royaline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 52
So helpful! Thanks for posting this.

I absolutely love black coffee and almond milk. More reason to drink them. <3
Royaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
RuJa 4EVA
Registered User
 
RuJa 4EVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 193
Only one thing to perhaps change -

You're supposed to eat small meals every 3-5 hours. So even if you're not stomach-rumbling hungry every 3-5 hours, you should still be eating small things during that time. This ensures that your metabolism doesn't slow. And since it's small meals every 3-5 hours, I wouldn't recommend having a huge lunch if anyone was planning on it.

Almond milk sounds awesome! Is it tasty?
__________________
My deviantART~My Facebook
RuJa 4EVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2011, 02:26 PM   #4
saberslash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 201
Other things that might need mentioning

- Make sure to drink at least 64oz of water a day (8 cups). You need the water to flush the bad stuff out of your system. Even being slightly dehydrated can cut the metabolic rate by 25% or more.

- the No Sugar fiber powder sold at many stores is ~20 calories per serving and acts as a great filler (makes you feel fuller). It also helps keep you regular, as a drastic diet shift can wreck havoc with certain functions.

- Like ground pork/beef? Replace it with 93/7 or better ground turkey. Less calories, plenty of protein, and less fat.
saberslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2011, 02:39 PM   #5
silver*shooter
Fledgeling Cosplayer
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuJa 4EVA View Post
Only one thing to perhaps change -

You're supposed to eat small meals every 3-5 hours. So even if you're not stomach-rumbling hungry every 3-5 hours, you should still be eating small things during that time. This ensures that your metabolism doesn't slow. And since it's small meals every 3-5 hours, I wouldn't recommend having a huge lunch if anyone was planning on it.

Almond milk sounds awesome! Is it tasty?
lol yeah, I'm aware of the small meals thing, its wonderful and I use it personally... I just disagree with it when I'm addressing a group of people. Like, for me, I eat a small breakfast, some green beans, then I have a small lunch, maybe an apple and some more green beans, and then I eat a small dinner... But for some people, a 'small meal' means an entire sandwich (probably a peanut butter sandwich- I don't know why so many people consider peanut butter a snack food, its really not that good for you at all ahaha) and then they're eating an awful lot of sandwiches every day and well... Doom. x) I'll add it in anyway, though, with a * next to it. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saberslash View Post
Other things that might need mentioning

- Make sure to drink at least 64oz of water a day (8 cups). You need the water to flush the bad stuff out of your system. Even being slightly dehydrated can cut the metabolic rate by 25% or more.

- the No Sugar fiber powder sold at many stores is ~20 calories per serving and acts as a great filler (makes you feel fuller). It also helps keep you regular, as a drastic diet shift can wreck havoc with certain functions.

- Like ground pork/beef? Replace it with 93/7 or better ground turkey. Less calories, plenty of protein, and less fat.
Wow... I forgot to add the drinking water thing. Lmao it really should be #1 on the list, eh? I guess I just do that so often myself without even thinking about it that I failed to mention it because... well... y'know. x)
No Sugar Fiber Powder? I've never heard of it. Is that its actual name? And what stores? I kinda want some now >.> hehe
I didn't mention turkey because I personally hate turkey. Hatehatehate. HATE IT. Its just... gross... 8D I'm a freak. I'll add it though.

Thanks to you both~
silver*shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2011, 03:01 PM   #6
BraveKnight
Registered User
 
BraveKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 945
yeah I gotta agree with you on everything but the only eating when you are starving. I was always taught that if your stomach is growling at you its starting to eat at the good stuff (i.e. my muscles!!! oh noes!). To keep a steady metabolism going I think it would be better to try and encourage the many small meals rather then wait till you are truly hungry. Your body might even see the food coming at it and be like "oh man better hold on to some of this for later". Everything else though was very well written!!! I appreciate all the tips and I really should look into almond milk over skim... its just so expensive ><
BraveKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2011, 03:11 PM   #7
saberslash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver*shooter View Post
No Sugar Fiber Powder? I've never heard of it. Is that its actual name? And what stores? I kinda want some now >.> hehe
I use This, but if unavailable, Metamucil has there own version as well.
saberslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2011, 03:21 PM   #8
Midnight Raine
Registered User
 
Midnight Raine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 373
I disagree with a few of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver*shooter View Post
3. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT. SKIP. BREAKFAST. Breakfast is actually supposed to be your second-to-heaviest meal of the day... So go ahead, scramble two eggs (you don't have to eat the yellow part if you don't want to- its only full of fat. The white part has all the protiens/ nutrients that you need.) and grab a slice of Smart Wonderbread (50 calories per slice, no high fructose corn syrup) and toast it, slap on some jam. Drink a glass of almond milk or black coffee with it all. You'll feel full for a very long time, and it'll jump-start your metabolism.
Why not skip breakfast? Lots of people aren't hungry in the morning. Therefore, if they're trying to cut calories, it makes perfect sense to skip breakfast. If you're cutting calories, then eating when you aren't hungry is absolutely illogical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver*shooter View Post
6. Eat a light dinner. You're not going to be doing very much at the end of the day, so don't eat a ton because you won't have any time to burn off those calories. So yeah. Light dinner.
Some people are more hungry in the evening, or sleep better when they've had a lot to eat.

And I don't get that last part... of course you'll have time to burn off the calories: specifically, the next day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver*shooter View Post
11. Eat red meat only 2-3 times a week. Red meat has a lot of good fats (yes, GOOD fats, fats that your brain needs to function properly) but it can be high in calories. Get lean cuts of ground loin and make them into a bunch of spheres, then slap them on the grill. You get healthy, home-made, delicious hamburgers. But on other days, try eating chicken and turkey instead. It's lower in calories and plenty good for you.
Lean cut round steak has 208 calories per quarter-pound, whereas chicken breast has 184. In my opinion, the difference is not significant enough to justify going against personal taste. I'd say that steak can easily fit into a weight loss diet.

I also want to add that it seems like people focus too strongly on the manipulation of metabolic rates. While stimulants such as caffeine do have a small effect on metabolic processes, there's not very much that a person can do to affect their metabolic rates in a significant way in terms of diet. Eating frequently vs. frequently, eating at certain times, or whatever else, will not have an effect on metabolic rate. So, you can just do whatever is easiest for you.
__________________
2012 Convention Schedule:
Ohayocon
Anime Central
Colossalcon
Otakon (... possibly)
Youmacon
Midnight Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2011, 03:30 PM   #9
BraveKnight
Registered User
 
BraveKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 945
lol I think this is going to turn into a health debate soon =P

I always felt that every meal was important. Breakfast is just a good meal because typically your body has been asleep for around 6-8 hours and you typically don't have food before you go to sleep unless your big on milk or casein before bed. Anyway I digress. I think its just the idea that your body has been starving for most of the night and to prolong your body's time without food might be a bad idea.

There is a wealth of knowledge out there though and peoples bodies definitely react differently to different methods. Anyway I'll get off my soap box now. -.-
BraveKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2011, 04:19 PM   #10
ne0ven0m
Dr. Feelgood
 
ne0ven0m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 353
^ I have to often stop myself from going into debate/jerk mode when I read certain things on here. And I'm with you on breakfast, I'm usually starving when I wake up. But I understand what Midnight_Raine is saying too. As long as your total calorie intake during the day is the same, then meal time isn't really that important.

But in regards to the OP, the only disagreements I have are:

1. red meat: Say you have a fatty cut of steak. If you want compensate for the extra calories from the fat in there (which I agree is good for you), just cut something else down in that meal, perhaps a carb source. Not all calories are created equally because protein takes a tad bit more energy to digest compared to carbs and fat. It's not a major contributor to weight loss, but if you make small changes by subbing in more meat rather than rice/pasta/bread over the course of a year, that's BIG TIME benefits.

2. protein bars - This is kinda weird coming from someone who has a whey shake every day, but the difference is that I make my own shake. So I have full control of what goes in it. Often, most protein and energy bars are just glorified candies, just check the sugar content. You're MUCH better off getting that protein from natural sources like any meat, dairy products, and eggs.
__________________
Dragon*Con-goer for life!

2014 Plans: Winter Soldier mashup, Deathstroke, Deadpool/Adventure Time mash-up, TBD

My Blog:http://ne0ven0m.wordpress.com/
ne0ven0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2011, 03:57 PM   #11
silver*shooter
Fledgeling Cosplayer
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveKnight View Post
yeah I gotta agree with you on everything but the only eating when you are starving. I was always taught that if your stomach is growling at you its starting to eat at the good stuff (i.e. my muscles!!! oh noes!). To keep a steady metabolism going I think it would be better to try and encourage the many small meals rather then wait till you are truly hungry. Your body might even see the food coming at it and be like "oh man better hold on to some of this for later".
I was exaggerating... lol yeah, eat when you feel hungry, not when you're starving XD



Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Raine View Post
Why not skip breakfast? Lots of people aren't hungry in the morning. Therefore, if they're trying to cut calories, it makes perfect sense to skip breakfast. If you're cutting calories, then eating when you aren't hungry is absolutely illogical.

Some people are more hungry in the evening, or sleep better when they've had a lot to eat.

And I don't get that last part... of course you'll have time to burn off the calories: specifically, the next day.

Lean cut round steak has 208 calories per quarter-pound, whereas chicken breast has 184. In my opinion, the difference is not significant enough to justify going against personal taste. I'd say that steak can easily fit into a weight loss diet.

I also want to add that it seems like people focus too strongly on the manipulation of metabolic rates. While stimulants such as caffeine do have a small effect on metabolic processes, there's not very much that a person can do to affect their metabolic rates in a significant way in terms of diet. Eating frequently vs. frequently, eating at certain times, or whatever else, will not have an effect on metabolic rate. So, you can just do whatever is easiest for you.
Braveknight has the right idea.
When you sleep, you're burning an average of 1 calorie per minute. By the time you wake up, if you're not hungry, then your body is probably still asleep. Sometimes we need to tell our bodies what's good for them instead of listening to them (if your body randomly got a craving for soda after you'd been trying not to drink any, would you fight it or just give in? Same thing applies to not being hungry in the morning.) Your body needs nutrients always, and when it runs out, then you need to refuel.

If someone is hungrier in the evening, they could eat more protien and drink more milk but make the other portions of their meal smaller... Now, I don't mean green vegetables, because they have so few calories that it hardly counts to begin with but... If, for example, you're at a restaurant and there's a bread basket, or you eat soup out of a hollowed-out bread loaf, then skip on the carbs. Meat, specifically protien, makes you feel fuller quicker and for a longer period of time. And as far as sleeping better after eating goes... Well, that makes me think of Thanksgiving, where everyone stuffs their face with turkey and collapses and falls asleep. Wanna know why they fall asleep after gorging themselves? The turkeys are drugged. Not with anything necessarily bad, but whatever it is that's in their feed, it activates sleepiness in the consumer and is far from natural.

Burn them the next day? No... By that time, you'll be consuming again, and then you'll not only have the calories from dinner last night sitting in your gut but the calories from your breakfast and snacks to burn. Yes, I did say that you burn calories in your sleep, but your body is made that way for a reason: so that if you eat a portion-wise meal, you will wake up with a net intake of 0 calories. If you eat two or three times your portion size, the sleep won't be able to make up for it, and then you'll just be piling on the calories and, eventually, the weight. Night-eating is a very bad habit... I know, because I get hungriest at night. But when you're trying to lose weight, its a horrible idea to eat an hour or more after you've finished dinner.

The steak and chicken thing is more of a matter of nutrients than anything, although honestly, if you were to eat red meat for a week, you've eaten about 140 more calories than you needed to. But if anyone's really stuck in their carniverous, OMNOM-IRON-RED-MEAT-OMNOM mood, then be my guest. These are just facts, whether or not everyone likes them. Its not about preferance, its about health and weight loss, and if there is an option here and there it should be a healthy option. Both red meat and white meat are healthy. That's why I said red meat should take up about 3 days or less of the week... Not that it should be banned forever and ever because it is the spawn of satan.

I beg to differ with your conclusion about how frequently you eat having no effect on metabolism. A friend of mine is fairly overweight, but she only eats dinner every night, albeit a huuuge dinner with lots of pastries for dessert. She skips both breakfast and lunch. And its not like she doesn't exercise, she's one of her volleyball team's best players and they meet every day. But she is fluffly. On the other hand, eating at least three meals a day keeps your metabolism revving- it centers itself on burning off what you've put into your body and distributing it throughout. If you rarely put anything into your body, though, it will assume that there's not as much work to do and will become lazy and just keep the nutrients, aka keep the fat/ calories and store it in your body, enlarging your fat cells, causing weight gain. Its good to listen to your body, though, I will give you that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ne0ven0m View Post
^ I have to often stop myself from going into debate/jerk mode when I read certain things on here. And I'm with you on breakfast, I'm usually starving when I wake up. But I understand what Midnight_Raine is saying too. As long as your total calorie intake during the day is the same, then meal time isn't really that important.

But in regards to the OP, the only disagreements I have are:

1. red meat: Say you have a fatty cut of steak. If you want compensate for the extra calories from the fat in there (which I agree is good for you), just cut something else down in that meal, perhaps a carb source. Not all calories are created equally because protein takes a tad bit more energy to digest compared to carbs and fat. It's not a major contributor to weight loss, but if you make small changes by subbing in more meat rather than rice/pasta/bread over the course of a year, that's BIG TIME benefits.

2. protein bars - This is kinda weird coming from someone who has a whey shake every day, but the difference is that I make my own shake. So I have full control of what goes in it. Often, most protein and energy bars are just glorified candies, just check the sugar content. You're MUCH better off getting that protein from natural sources like any meat, dairy products, and eggs.
I'll definatley give you the red meat thing, because it's true that not all calories are created equal. However, as far as protien bars go... Not all of them are just sugary snacks wrapped in fancy paper that claims they're good for you. Clif bars have only 45 out of 240 total calories from fat, low sodium level, 15% of your daily carbs but 20% of daily fiber, only 22 grams of sugar, and 20% of daily protien. I could go and type all of the vitamins that are in them, too, but my fingers would fall off... But with 100% of Vitamins E and C, they really are good for you, as far as staying goes. Not to mention the 70% organic ingredients. Now, I'm not saying that Clif bars are meal replacements and that everyone should eat five a day. No, one a day is plenty, I'd even go as far to say that half of one a day is fine because you get vitamins from other foods. And they're only 99 cents each at Trader Joe's... And yes, meat, dairy, and eggs are wonderful, definatley better, sources of protien as far as your body's processing what you put in it goes, but if you're hungry and you don't feel like something that'll fill you up for five minutes or less (yogurt) or you're in a rush (like in the morning) then a Clif bar is definatley better to grab than some random cerial bar lol.
silver*shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2011, 04:15 PM   #12
ne0ven0m
Dr. Feelgood
 
ne0ven0m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 353
^ I suppose you and I differ on what counts as a "sugary" snack. I looked up the info on Cliff bars from their site. Like you said, most of them have over 20g, which to me, is too much. I'd rather just have a small piece of actual tasty chocolate if I'm gonna "spend" 20g of carbs that day. In fact, look at the ingredients list on those bars, and more often than not, sugar is in the first 3 things listed (which is usually done in order of descending quantity). It's cleverly disguised as "brown syrup" or something similar.

Next, the vitamins and nutrients thing. I realize it's impossible for anyone to get ALL their nutrients from their real foods in each day, but a multivitamin solves that, and for much cheaper than bars. Plus, it'll have nutrients the bars don't.

Finally, the protein that's in Cliff bars comes from soy. Now, soy in small quantities from sources like real tofu or edamame isn't bad. But if you start adding soy bars, soy milk, soy meats, etc. then it starts becoming a problem for your health. Check out the article done by a Ph. D. highlighting some of the dangers of too much soy consumption:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...poison_protein
__________________
Dragon*Con-goer for life!

2014 Plans: Winter Soldier mashup, Deathstroke, Deadpool/Adventure Time mash-up, TBD

My Blog:http://ne0ven0m.wordpress.com/
ne0ven0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2011, 05:00 PM   #13
HomeDepot
Registered User
 
HomeDepot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 759
^shh. Soy is essential to the US agricultural economy. We can't let people go learning that it is at best not a superfood, and at worst quite harmful in large quantities.
HomeDepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2011, 06:23 PM   #14
KrazyGaara
Registered User
 
KrazyGaara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 61
Thanks for posting this. It's so helpful. I love almond milk^^ Been drinking that and a lot of water since I cut out soda about the beginning or middle of last year , but i might have one here and there
__________________
Cosplays
Moogle-50%
Future Cosplays
Pokemon Gijinka(haven't decided which one yet)
Toboe
Cheshire Cat
Key Dog


FaceBook
I am currently looking to form a cosplay group. If you're in the area, PM me if you're interested
KrazyGaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2011, 07:45 PM   #15
Midnight Raine
Registered User
 
Midnight Raine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver*shooter View Post
Braveknight has the right idea.
When you sleep, you're burning an average of 1 calorie per minute. By the time you wake up, if you're not hungry, then your body is probably still asleep. Sometimes we need to tell our bodies what's good for them instead of listening to them (if your body randomly got a craving for soda after you'd been trying not to drink any, would you fight it or just give in? Same thing applies to not being hungry in the morning.) Your body needs nutrients always, and when it runs out, then you need to refuel.
This doesn't make sense. I'm not hungry in the morning, but I'm definitely not still asleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver*shooter View Post
If someone is hungrier in the evening, they could eat more protien and drink more milk but make the other portions of their meal smaller... Now, I don't mean green vegetables, because they have so few calories that it hardly counts to begin with but... If, for example, you're at a restaurant and there's a bread basket, or you eat soup out of a hollowed-out bread loaf, then skip on the carbs. Meat, specifically protien, makes you feel fuller quicker and for a longer period of time. And as far as sleeping better after eating goes... Well, that makes me think of Thanksgiving, where everyone stuffs their face with turkey and collapses and falls asleep. Wanna know why they fall asleep after gorging themselves? The turkeys are drugged. Not with anything necessarily bad, but whatever it is that's in their feed, it activates sleepiness in the consumer and is far from natural.
Again, why avoid carbs or big meals before bed? That makes no sense.

Also, I dunno where you've been eating, but if the turkeys they give you are drugged, you might wanna start questioning things. This is starting to sound a little paranoid. Y'know, it's pretty normal to feel sleepy after stuffing your face, yeah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver*shooter View Post
Burn them the next day? No... By that time, you'll be consuming again, and then you'll not only have the calories from dinner last night sitting in your gut but the calories from your breakfast and snacks to burn. Yes, I did say that you burn calories in your sleep, but your body is made that way for a reason: so that if you eat a portion-wise meal, you will wake up with a net intake of 0 calories. If you eat two or three times your portion size, the sleep won't be able to make up for it, and then you'll just be piling on the calories and, eventually, the weight. Night-eating is a very bad habit... I know, because I get hungriest at night. But when you're trying to lose weight, its a horrible idea to eat an hour or more after you've finished dinner.
This makes no sense, mathematically. You're claiming that it is best not to eat a large meal before bed because you won't have a chance to burn it. Allow me to prove this wrong.

Let's say that you intake a total number of calories C, per day, and burn amount F. F > C, so you're at a deficit.

Now let's assume that you eat X% of your calories right before bed - say, you start at 10 PM and go to sleep at midnight. You then sleep, and consume .2*C calories in the subsequent 22 hours. You burn F by the period beginning at 10 PM and ending 10 PM the next day. The total deficit over that period remains F - (X%*C+(1-X%*C) = F - C, and can be seen to be independent of the value of X.

You're not adding the numbers correctly. You're assuming that the number of calories consumed the next day are maintenance level, and that the current day is a surplus, which is contradictory to the idea of a deficit. In other words, there's absolutely no reason not to eat the majority of your calories later in the day, if that's what you like to do. It won't affect your weight loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver*shooter View Post
The steak and chicken thing is more of a matter of nutrients than anything, although honestly, if you were to eat red meat for a week, you've eaten about 140 more calories than you needed to. But if anyone's really stuck in their carniverous, OMNOM-IRON-RED-MEAT-OMNOM mood, then be my guest. These are just facts, whether or not everyone likes them. Its not about preferance, its about health and weight loss, and if there is an option here and there it should be a healthy option. Both red meat and white meat are healthy. That's why I said red meat should take up about 3 days or less of the week... Not that it should be banned forever and ever because it is the spawn of satan.
If you eat red meat, you just end up eating slightly less. If you hate chicken and love steak, surely you'd prefer to eat 1 pound of round steak instead of 1 pound 2 oz of chicken, yeah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver*shooter View Post
I beg to differ with your conclusion about how frequently you eat having no effect on metabolism. A friend of mine is fairly overweight, but she only eats dinner every night, albeit a huuuge dinner with lots of pastries for dessert. She skips both breakfast and lunch. And its not like she doesn't exercise, she's one of her volleyball team's best players and they meet every day. But she is fluffly. On the other hand, eating at least three meals a day keeps your metabolism revving- it centers itself on burning off what you've put into your body and distributing it throughout. If you rarely put anything into your body, though, it will assume that there's not as much work to do and will become lazy and just keep the nutrients, aka keep the fat/ calories and store it in your body, enlarging your fat cells, causing weight gain. Its good to listen to your body, though, I will give you that.
Not at all; your friend is fat because she eats way more than she needs to. It has nothing to do with when she eats.

Meal frequency or timing has nothing to do with metabolic rate.
__________________
2012 Convention Schedule:
Ohayocon
Anime Central
Colossalcon
Otakon (... possibly)
Youmacon
Midnight Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:23 PM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.