Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Otakon

Unread 10-21-2002, 10:33 PM   #1
Mandy Mitchell
Soul Reapers Unite!

How is Otakon like?

I've never been to Otakon before but I'd like to hear how Otakon is like. I might like to go there someday since Otakon is the largest con in the East Coast. I'm opened to hear what anyone would like to say about his/her experience at Otakon.
Mandy Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-21-2002, 10:41 PM   #2
Kamui Motoaki
Edge Master of FOOD ^_^

Its big. . . and a lot of ppl. . . the Cosplay is great. . the dance is Fun. . and you don't have to wait like a million years to get into the Dealers heheh ^_^

I love this con. . .^_~
Kamui Motoaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2002, 10:54 PM   #3
Celine
Remember me?

Well, I've had miserable experiences both years I have gone, but I don't actually think it is the fault of the con itself. Baltimore is just a really awful city. Be sure to get a nearby hotel, preferably one that's connected by skywalk to the convention center. The weather is miserable. Expect hot, sticky, and some rain. Yuck.

Besides that, the layout of the con is weird, though everything is spaced out pretty well. They had an excellent gaming room this year. There are tons of cosplayers and lots of open areas for cosplayers to mingle and get good photo shoots (such as the several hundred FF cosplayer group).

Since it's in a convention center, everything closes for several hours during the late night/early morning. That's kinda different than some other cons. Who knows, maybe they will change that.
Celine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2002, 10:54 PM   #4
Keurblitz
My Gender: Female

Otakon is FUN! Especially the dance at night, the video game room, dealer's room and all that fun stuff.

Oh yeah, and *ahem Will goes to Otakon, so you might wanna stalk him ^_^ like all the other die-hard fangirls on the board.
Unread 10-21-2002, 11:08 PM   #5
Aya Mizu
Sakurairo

I only went one time in 2001 and despite the chemical floods that threatened to eat everyone, I had a good time! ^_^ I'd go back with friends again if I could afford it. I'd definitely recommend getting THE closest hotels too because ours was still a block away to walk.
Aya Mizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2002, 11:19 PM   #6
Oshi
Rugged. Like the moon.

It's BIG, that's for sure. Easy to lose someone, hard to find someone. Cellphones are a must. o_o;;
But, being the largest on the east coast, they have all the super-cool stuff. Huge ass dealers room, really cool guests... etc.

This is THE one to go to if you're in the eastern US.
Oshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2002, 11:21 PM   #7
Aya Mizu
Sakurairo

*nods* Definitely. I was using my cellphone every hour while I was there trying to find friends. I also recommend getting a nation-wide cell plan for that ^^; Roaming charges are scary.
Aya Mizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2002, 11:58 PM   #8
Gingerbread Man
You people scare me......

I only went once and had a miserable time...but that's because of two reasons, The people I went with and the fact that I got there at 8 on saturday evening after sitting through an aggressive drivers course. But I'm willing to give it a second chance if it ever get the time.
Unread 10-22-2002, 10:46 AM   #9
khamryn
SE Addict

>"Oh yeah, and *ahem Will goes to Otakon, so you might wanna >stalk him ^_^ like all the other die-hard fangirls on the board."

u.u;;;; please don't stalk Will. ::cough::

Anyway....

My first time at Otakon I had a blast. There are some very good points about the con. ^^ The past two haven't been that great but that was more for personal reasons then anything the con did. Definately try and get a close hotel and preferably one connected via skywalk. It makes things easier. ^^
Unread 10-22-2002, 10:55 AM   #10
shadow
Arf..

Quote:
Originally posted by Keurblitz

Oh yeah, and *ahem Will goes to Otakon, so you might wanna stalk him ^_^ like all the other die-hard fangirls on the board.

Poor Will.....
Maybe I should mail him a stun gun for protection hahaha.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2002, 11:19 PM   #11
KuroBara
dog of the military

I've been to the past 2 otakons, and they've been great experiences. The weather does suck, there's no getting around that. It will be humid, and it will ruin all of the work you put into straightening your hair to cosplay as Mirielle Bouquet...(still a little bitter)

Other than that, make sure your shoes are comfy as the convention center is large. There's lots of oppurtunity to take pics of cosplayers, which is my favorite thing to do there.
Unread 10-23-2002, 12:22 AM   #12
Mandy Mitchell
Soul Reapers Unite!

Just by reading everyone's responses, I might like to visit Otakon at least once just to see what it's like. AX is the only large anime convention that we have down here in Southern California.
Mandy Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2002, 12:55 AM   #13
Keurblitz
My Gender: Female

Quote:
Originally posted by shadow
Poor Will.....
Maybe I should mail him a stun gun for protection hahaha.
He has to service all the fangirls, even if he refuses to ^_^ So using a stun gun is out of the question LoL
Unread 10-23-2002, 09:34 AM   #14
shadow
Arf..

Wow he has to "service" all the fangirls... must be a tough job. hahahahaha
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2002, 10:41 AM   #15
katchoo
Gaming Angel

Do we have a date for the con yet?

thanks,
katchoo ^_^
katchoo is offline   Reply With Quote