Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > AMē

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-26-2011, 06:36 PM   #1
Thymidine

Passports and Autographs

I'm a little confused about the "priority" line for autographs. If me and my friends all purchase 3-day passports, or even 1-day passport, will we be GUARANTEED an autograph from a guest if they have autograph sessions? (Like SCANDAL?) I think it would be a great incentive for us and even other attendees to buy passports to have the once in a lifetime opportunity to get autographs and know that we will get them.

I know at AX sometimes we had tickets and lined up, but still didn't get autographs and went home sad.
Thymidine is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-26-2011, 06:48 PM   #2
daylight
Sugar Junkie

From what I understand the passport holders will have a separate line, and I know seatings to panels are guaranteed (right?).

I mean, unless everyone at the con has a passport then im sure you'll be able to get your autograph, and I seriously doubt everyone there will have one, me and my sister aren't getting one, and I have a feeling a good amount of the attendees will be friends that were brought along on short notice, and wont have had time/know to get a passport.
Unread 03-27-2011, 11:00 AM   #3
Thymidine

Hm thanks for some great insight. I would like to save some of my money to purchase other things there, namely food.

So you are basically saying that unless I plan to take advantage of some of the benefits such as Disneyland and other discounts, there really isn't any meaning to purchasing a passport? I should still be able to get into events and autographs, correct?

I'm just wondering how the con can continue to survive if attendance is free. It sounds like a weird concept to me. If the majority of attendees attend for free, how will AM2 pay for things such as GOHs and cost of the anaheim convention center. The majority of people that I have talked to have told me to not buy a passport because it is "not worth it" because if the majority of people go for free and there are not that many passport holders like you said, then even regular free people can get access to the "priority" items. Just my three cents.

Last edited by Thymidine : 03-27-2011 at 11:23 AM.
Unread 03-27-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
sicdedman
SicLeatherFace

Chase Wang is a good business man so he wont go into something like (Renting the Anaheim Convention Center,Starting AM2,Inviting All these GOH & Bands,Renting space in Hotels,ect. without some type of Income and a little bit of Money making on the side for the Future of AM2.

people will purchase Passports,More people than you think just to take advantage of Disney land Alone. yes AM2 is free,but there will be Plenty of money generating inside AM2. People can't stop spending money on Entertainment and that's just what AM2 is. Concerts,Autograph's,Karaoke,Arcade,ect.ect...

people keep asking whats the point in having the Passport when the CON is Free... Well it's only an Option, just like when you go to the movies, they have the Snack bar for Popcorn,M&M's,drinks, they are there but you dont have to buy it,unless you want make the Movie Going Experience a little better with some Fresh Butter Popcorn,same goes with the passport. they offer the passport to bring money in to pay for the con, on the side you get some good discounts, priority Line's to Concerts,Autograph sessions, ect.ect...

Now about the Autograph lines. what they should do is do just like the Concert First come first serve, when you get your passport,they should give you a ticket that has All the guest of honor names on it for the 3 days, with a number on it. when you are in line ready to get your autograph for that person lets say (Scandal) some one will cross out the name of (Scandal) to show you got that autograph. (I'm just thinking) sounds good in my head lol. but prob sounds weird to others or maybe a little too difficult to execute.....
PMX 2014 *8th Year* *3rd Year Staff* -- Loscon 2014 *3rd Year Staff*
sicdedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2011, 02:34 PM   #5
daylight
Sugar Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymidine View Post
Hm thanks for some great insight. I would like to save some of my money to purchase other things there, namely food.

So you are basically saying that unless I plan to take advantage of some of the benefits such as Disneyland and other discounts, there really isn't any meaning to purchasing a passport? I should still be able to get into events and autographs, correct?
oh, no, thats not what I meant. looking at the post now I can see how there was a misunderstanding, im sorry XD

what I meant to say was that if you have the passport then you are probably sure to get your autograph, because the passport line will go in first, and not everybody in the con will have a passport.

I think the passport is a very good deal and I think if you want to ensure an autograph you should get one. The reason I wont be buying one is because im bringing along my sister and she doesn't really like Anime, I would feel bad making her buy a passport, and I wouldn't ditch her just to get in the passport line so I decided not to get one, autographs aren't the most important thing to me so I figure its no big loss ^_^
Unread 03-27-2011, 03:20 PM   #6
Thymidine

Thanks for your insight I think I will get one then because I really want to get an autograph and hopefully have great seats for all the concerts and panels!
Unread 03-28-2011, 12:49 AM   #7
LelouchYamazaki
Prince in the Mountain

you figure there will be AM2 memorabilia there with the summer event will being in money. I agree with sicdedman about chase wang being a smart businessman especially having his own PR company, and doing work for AX for so long increasing its numbers.

the passport idea is smart because its not like you have to have it to get in, but you get some extras for having it. I want it for front row to the concerts better than $20 (or whatever they charge for each event) per.
LelouchYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 01:09 AM   #8
daylight
Sugar Junkie

^ I thought the main events were free to get into?

and yeah. I think they will make enough money, if they weren't sure they were then I dont think they would be doing it. im defiantly going to be spending a bunch of money there, and gonna get a AM^2 T shirt too
Unread 03-28-2011, 11:57 AM   #9
ElCapitan
Dictator

Quote:
...will we be GUARANTEED an autograph from a guest if they have autograph sessions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylight View Post
From what I understand the passport holders will have a separate line, and I know seatings to panels are guaranteed (right?).
Please note that there is never a guarantee for any event. If 10,000 people buy passports and try to go to a given concert, some of those people obviously aren't going to get in. That isn't realistically going to happen, but I'm just presenting a hypothetical situation to make my point.

The same sort of issue applies to autographs, except that the "seating" capacity is much smaller, so you're a lot more likely to run into the cap. This is in part because a GOH typically signs maybe a couple hundred autographs but thousands of people can watch a concert. The problem is compounded by the fact that there are more uncontrollable factors with autographs. We can't control if the guest is feeling sick and has to stop early, or decides to do a sketch with each autograph (and therefore completes fewer autographs overall), or so on.

Quote:
I'm just wondering how the con can continue to survive if attendance is free. It sounds like a weird concept to me. If the majority of attendees attend for free, how will AM2 pay for things such as GOHs and cost of the anaheim convention center. The majority of people that I have talked to have told me to not buy a passport because it is "not worth it" because if the majority of people go for free and there are not that many passport holders like you said, then even regular free people can get access to the "priority" items.
The whole sustainability issue has been discussed a bit in this thread. If you have any further questions, please feel free to add to the conversation there. I'd like to keep it all in one place so it's easier for people to read. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylight View Post
^ I thought the main events were free to get into?
They are indeed free. As far as Main Events are concerned, the Passport is kind of like a season-pass. Instead of buying tickets for each concert separately, you just buy one and have priority seating for all of them.

Derf Tang
Operations Director, AMē 2012
ElCapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 08:04 PM   #10
LelouchYamazaki
Prince in the Mountain

meh males perfect sense, if there are 1000 seats and 999 people bought tickets will be amusing since it would be hell to get front seats, but one person who didnt buy the passport would get a seat.

It's the perk for those who buy it, but I wonder how many people will buy the AM2 passport I am going to be one of them, when I see the full list of people who are going XD.
LelouchYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote