Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-30-2003, 08:35 AM   #1
!*Jessi-Chan*!
Teach Me, Miss Litchi!

Exclamation Walmart Wigs

Those Halloween wigs in Walmart are super cheap.....I know they're not of quality, but would YOU all buy them...esp. if you're on a budget! That $6...$7...$8 pricetag lured me to buy a long pink one for my furture Utena...

Potential Costumes Aisha Clan Clan, WilyKat, Storm
!*Jessi-Chan*! is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-30-2003, 08:47 AM   #2
Catpaw
Beyond the Viewing Window

they r crap... my opion... *Beats up wig*
Catpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2003, 10:09 AM   #3
Hikaru Tsuki
Glorificent

I would only buy one of those wigs if I was only intending on wearing it once and for something small. But even then I may not. They look so cheap they seen to be a total waste of money. =P
Hikaru Tsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2003, 10:09 AM   #4
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

I wouldn't, no. Cheap wigs, especially acrylic ones, are hard to work with, tangle easily, fall apart easily, and don't look like real hair. I would rather spend the money for a better product every time.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2003, 11:04 AM   #5
Hikaruchan
Have camera, will travel

I picked a couple of them up just cause they were fairly cheap. Of the ones I got (most were the higher prices ones that I scrutinized the pics to try to weed out bad ones), only one is crap - the other 3 were surprising okay. Planning on using one of them for Lachesis if it phototests okay.
Hikaruchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2003, 12:03 PM   #6
makonurikoryoko

I used one from target fo rmy dejiko costume an dit pretty good. Though I picked up a long supposedly straight pink one which i planned on cutting up anyway and it was all wavy XP
makonurikoryoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2003, 12:11 PM   #7
DarkindDreamer

i've used those wigs for several things.. when properly styled and trimmed they can look very very good.. 2 of my best wigs i get the most complements have come from wal mart over the years.
Unread 10-30-2003, 12:28 PM   #8
Gren
Gender Bender

Might use them to harvest wefts for spikey wigs (which never need brushing as they are solidly locked into their spikes) or a nappy poofy wig like Inu Yasha. Otherwise? Nooo.
Unread 10-30-2003, 04:59 PM   #9
Susumari
.//fasshon o n n a no ko

yep. my friend got a witch one, and i think it turned out good. she wore it to school. lol, some ppl thought it was her real hair.
Unread 10-30-2003, 06:06 PM   #10
Bahzi
Hi gaiz!

Eh, some of the wal-mart ones you can actaully get a comb through, some you just can't. They do have quite a few of them, but for a serious costume, there's no way in hell I'd trust it, besides, if I want to wear the costume a few months later, I want the wig to still be usable, they're mostly oneshot deals.
Bahzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2003, 06:50 PM   #11
Songstress_Yuna
Mar-Mar

I picked one up from..Err..San Fransico(sp?) a store at a mall near me, It was about 10 bucks and Im planning on using it for me Kikyo Costume, and It's not that bad at all. I can comb it and everything. I just need to learn how to put it on properly.
Songstress_Yuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2003, 09:46 PM   #12
!*Jessi-Chan*!
Teach Me, Miss Litchi!

My pink wig has just been sitting on my dresser.....on my ghetto wig stand (a aresol can and a bowl sitting ontop of it...) for at least....a month maybe....I don't really know how to tell the quality of wigs, however, but it seems good. No tangles...i'm scared to try and bush it though b/c of where it comes from. I'm afraid it'll just fall apart! Is there a sort of...test i would put it through to see if it's good enough for my Utena. (her French Aristocrat costume!)

Potential Costumes Aisha Clan Clan, WilyKat, Storm
!*Jessi-Chan*! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2003, 03:14 AM   #13
KaraokeKate
The Wig Lady

Wig Fiber Samples...

I really ought to start a new topic just for this.

For those of you curious what a "good" wig should feel like, but don't want to spend the $30 to find out, I've got a ton of swatches I can send.

There is a HUGE difference between "cheap" and "good" wigs. More often than not, your $10 would be better spent on something else.

www.katiebair.com
KaraokeKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2003, 11:42 AM   #14
Hikaruchan
Have camera, will travel

Snort, I have $60 dollar wigs - so I know what higher quality feels like. Sometimes if its not a competition costume I just want to keep the cost down, as long as the wig looks decent - like my ghetto InuYasha where the cheap wig is about the best part of the costume.
Hikaruchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2003, 03:13 PM   #15
AniMajor
Kouhosei

Back when I thought costumes were for Halloween and parties, I got Wal Mart wigs for everything. Like my Sailor Saturn costume. I got a black wig, had to cut it short and put bangs into it. It was alright for that one night, but afterwards it really looked like crap. Another one I got was for my original character Halloween costume, and I got a blond wig and cut it short. Then I used the hair color spray stuff and put streaks in it. It worked for the night, and luckily I knew how to put my hair up so that it wouldn't come out. When I did my first convention cosplay, it wasn't around Halloween, I didn't know of any wig stores, so I knew I had to get it online. I though that since I was getting it online, I could get something as close as possible to the wig I needed. That was also the most expensive wig I bought, but it didn't feel like a broom when you combed it, and it didn't go bald when you combed it either.

I did get a Wal Mart wig for my friend's Miroku, and it came out decent, after we spent the night ripping the sparkly things out of it.

In short, Wal Mart wigs are good for Halloween, if you're on a tight budgent, but don't expect them to last more than a night.
AniMajor is offline   Reply With Quote