Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-28-2011, 11:31 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musouka_Ningyou View Post
Before i say anything, just know that I would -never- personally do it. I find it to be quite violating.

If it is in a private photoshoot with a trusted photog and done tastefully, then I don't have as big of a problem with it as long as everyone thinks it through and consents. I don't necessarily need to see the pictures, but if it's in character, tasteful, and the cosplayer is fine with it, well, it's your panties showing, not mine, so why should I care? (Though it does often come off as attention-seeking, but again, why should I care if that's what they want to do?)

Panty shots where the person isn't aware of it or doesn't consent to it are a HUGE no-no. That's a pretty big violation of privacy. Ladies, ALWAYS wear shorts of some type under your skirts! It will save you from creepers and stiff breezes alike. I don't care if it is "in character" or "with a short skirt like that she's asking for it/should know that this would happen/etc." or whatever other excuse the creeper uses, if she doesn't consent to a panty shot, DON'T TAKE IT.
This. I seen a cammy with her ass hang out more (w/o the tights).

2012:Anime La, Sac Anime Winter, AOD, Wondercon, Cherry Blossam Festival, Fanime, SDCC (ax alternative)

Might Go:Am2, Anime Expo

Upcomng Cosplays: Sokka battle wolf, Aang monk robes finale, Krillen, Rock Lee, Aang firenation, Alex Armstrong, Zuko book 3.
Avatar Alvaang is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-28-2011, 11:51 AM   #32
MoonVR

It's a bit inappropriate, but as long as the people in the photo are down for it, then it doesn't matter. The image of cosplay won't be hurt by a few kids looking to have fun in a costume, even if it is a little "pervy". However, some socially awkward people will think that this kind of fan service means they are open to harass these girls either with picture stalking, pestering, etc. - I've seen it and it gets ugly.

But who am I to judge, these girls seem to be having fun.
MoonVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 12:04 PM   #33
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

I don't personally care what other people do, but I wouldn't do a photoshoot with my ass hanging out.

It isn't about what is appropriate or inappropriate, to me, more what you're comfortable or uncomfortable having posted on the internet.
mokulen22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #34
sploosh

I dunno. It's sort of a double-standard; why is it okay for guys to run around shirtless? Why is it okay for two girls crossdressing as guys to make out? In the end, they're both sort of titillating, fanservice-y things (even if one is more likely to get an R-19 label slapped on it.)

Then again, in the end, you're taking pictures of someone's underwear. IDC if it gets you off, but it's not really appropriate in public.

Oh, and I will agree with those saying that unwilling panty-shots are completely crossing the line, but I think that taking pictures of people unwilling to pose for them aren't a good thing regardless of content.
sploosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 12:52 PM   #35
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Seventh Sea View Post
Call Steffi a slut will they?! I eat thems D8
Haha, I don't know whether they would have called me that, or other people seeing the photo. But I wouldn't necessarily care as I've been called a slut (and worse things) before. So not anything new xD

Thanks for the look out for me anyway!
Usagi Tsukino (School Uniform) - Sailor Moon
Sailor Cosmos - Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
Bubbles - Powerpuff Girls Z

x-Steffi-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 01:44 PM   #36
Yukikittie

I don't think it's very classy. But if you want to have your panty shots, go for it!
Just don't take pictures of other peoples panties without asking for permission. :/
Saw someone post a panty shot of a Panty on DeviantArt, without asking for permission. Ticks me off since that is so insanely rude, and the girl who posted it reasoned that the character is Panty, so OF COURSE it's perfectly okay. D:<

Last edited by Yukikittie : 03-28-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Unread 03-28-2011, 01:53 PM   #37
oni-buu
Back-Alley Seamstress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celia Rose View Post
I personally don't care if a cosplayer decides to take these kinds of shots. It's their panties they're putting on display, not mine.

There are plenty of pantsu cosplay shots out there, anyway, but not enough to really detract from photos of the non-pantsu variety. If you don't like it, then just exit the tab/window. Simple as that.
This.

Who are people to judge others?

Do I want panty shots taken of me? No. [Which is a shame because I do like wearing cute undies.] Is it my place to slut-shame those that do? No.

As long as the party agrees, they can do whatever.
Otakon
???
Anime USA
???

oni-buu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 02:18 PM   #38
lotus machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by oni-buu View Post
This.

Do I want panty shots taken of me? No. [Which is a shame because I do like wearing cute undies.] Is it my place to slut-shame those that do? No.

I'm so glad someone said this.

I agree completely.
lotus machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 02:26 PM   #39
Seraphy
Nagare~

If the cosplayers don't mind, then I see nothing wrong with it. If the series is known to have shots like it, then I don't think its unnatural. Even though others may see it differently, I don't think it's that much different from people at the beach. People may wear small bikinis or thongs, and those can show more butt than panty shots. Just my opinion of course.
Seraphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 02:38 PM   #40
Amanita

I'm not going to shame somebody for being less modest than myself, but I do think there's a time and place for it. An all-ages con with little kids around probably isn't it.

And I'm another who believes that those who take panty shots without the consent of the cosplayer deserve a swift kick in the biscuits, and a kick from the con. Accidental exposure is one thing, intentionally trying to get pervy shots is another. I've said before that biker shorts or cheerleader bottoms under skirts are a great idea and I'll say it again. It just makes good sense for girls and ladies to protect themselves, whether it be from wind or pervs with cameras, or any other unforeseen circumstances.

The unfortunate thing is as somebody said- the downside of panty shots is that some people begin to feel entitled to them, and begin demanding them, even from people who want no part of it. Yes, the one being demanded of can say no. But it's nice not to be hounded in the first place.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #41
Emrys

Even if everyone involved can justify taking photos like that I don't think panty shots should ever be put ANYWHERE online. Just, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkariUnryuu View Post
Without precedent I can only say there are probably very few instances where panty shots could be pulled off artfully - that is not one of them. MAYBE you can get away with it if you're a burlesque performer or avant-garde performance artist à la Yoko Ono... but if you were in a performance trade like that I would hope you have better things to do with your art than take panty shots.

(I'm not trying to generalize about performance art, just pointing out that you could probably find an example in extreme cases, but even then it wouldn't be the focus of the art.)
Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 03:46 PM   #42
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

If the cosplayer wants to do that and asks for that certain type of shot to be taken, why not? Just do it somewhere private and there's no problem with that.

But taking such shots without permission or asking other cosplayers to do it for you is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukikittie View Post
Saw someone post a panty shot of a Panty on DeviantArt, without asking for permission. Ticks me off since that is so insanely rude, and the girl who posted it reasoned that the character is Panty, so OF COURSE it's perfectly okay. D:<
I saw that same one the other day :/ The fact that they didn't even realise that it was wrong even after he got so many comments about it is just.. ugh.

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Future Cosplays (not working on yet):
Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi

Last edited by ToroSonyCat : 03-28-2011 at 03:49 PM.
ToroSonyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 03:47 PM   #43
Jothalion

Quote:
Originally Posted by oni-buu View Post
This.

Brilliant summing up
Jothalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 03:48 PM   #44
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukikittie View Post
I don't think it's very classy. But if you want to have your panty shots, go for it!
Just don't take pictures of other peoples panties without asking for permission. :/
I'm seeing a lot of sick things lately on DeviantArt regarding cosplay. Nevertheless I report them all. None of them even had a mature tag which made it even more innappropriate. Cosplay sites and DeviantArt is not a place for one to be whoring themselves.
Usagi Tsukino (School Uniform) - Sailor Moon
Sailor Cosmos - Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
Bubbles - Powerpuff Girls Z

x-Steffi-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 04:03 PM   #45
tarinalove
alsoknownas Katarini

I could careless but I do find it a little creepy when the people are not paying attention.

I thin nude images can be done artfully and so can lingerie shots. Victoria secret catalog anyone? But the whole random photog. And girl not "paying attention" gives a very bad vibe. While an image of the girl paying attention or being in character and maybe klutzy and flash panty-can be cute! I will update this with links later of what is artfully apropriate versus down right degrading.
Also choose places where children are not around-please.

https://www.facebook.com/RinaMeowsir
I take commissions, just send me a message. <3
tarinalove is offline   Reply With Quote