Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-28-2011, 06:14 PM   #46
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarinalove View Post
I could careless but I do find it a little creepy when the people are not paying attention.

I thin nude images can be done artfully and so can lingerie shots. Victoria secret catalog anyone? But the whole random photog. And girl not "paying attention" gives a very bad vibe. While an image of the girl paying attention or being in character and maybe klutzy and flash panty-can be cute! I will update this with links later of what is artfully apropriate versus down right degrading.
Also choose places where children are not around-please.
I agree with this. There's a huge difference in between being classy and being, well, a slut.
That "accidental" or klutzy sort of way, I guess is ok, as opposed to *pulls skirt/wear skirt right high up -"hey people, look at mah panties! I am so sekushii desu"* :roll:

Slutty is not classy and vice versa.
Usagi Tsukino (School Uniform) - Sailor Moon
Sailor Cosmos - Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
Bubbles - Powerpuff Girls Z

x-Steffi-x is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-28-2011, 06:28 PM   #47
Eau de Decus
Her Second Self

I really don't care. Do it if you want to, or don't do it if you don't want to. It's your costume and your body. I'm not here to tell someone what they can and cannot do and I think I've reached that point in my life where I can acknowledge that underwear is just another article of clothing that I see every time I go to a department store, or, god forbid, my own dresser.

Mountains out of molehills...etc etc etc.
Eau de Decus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 06:38 PM   #48
Space Robot 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sploosh View Post
I dunno. It's sort of a double-standard; why is it okay for guys to run around shirtless? Why is it okay for two girls crossdressing as guys to make out? In the end, they're both sort of titillating, fanservice-y things (even if one is more likely to get an R-19 label slapped on it.)

Then again, in the end, you're taking pictures of someone's underwear. IDC if it gets you off, but it's not really appropriate in public.

Oh, and I will agree with those saying that unwilling panty-shots are completely crossing the line, but I think that taking pictures of people unwilling to pose for them aren't a good thing regardless of content.
First off, I consider myself a feminist, so personally I hate to see some degrading themselves, especially to the pervs of anime/gaming world. Ugh. I'm not comfortable with panty-shots, but If the subject of those type of pictures is ok with it, that is her choice. It's never ok without her permission, not cool.

I do want to bring up kind of what sploosh and sephygoth were talking about. What is the difference between a skanky costume and a panty shot. To me depending on how bad the costume is they are almost the same thing. Is there a difference? Should there be? Where does a shirtless dude fall on the skankyness meter?
Space Robot 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 08:38 PM   #49
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Robot 5 View Post
I do want to bring up kind of what sploosh and sephygoth were talking about. What is the difference between a skanky costume and a panty shot. To me depending on how bad the costume is they are almost the same thing. Is there a difference? Should there be? Where does a shirtless dude fall on the skankyness meter?
The fetish is what I have partly issues with --- I haven't been active in the cosplay world for long, and yet I've seen multiple 'sneak pictures of female cosplayers underwear' plastered all over the walls of some of the folks who added me over FB from conventions (Partly my fault for accepting without wondering who the heck they are --- only realizing once seeing that display that they were photo creeps).

Context is one aspect to consider I suppose, and some are fine with such exposure.

I'm more on the side of 'being ashamed of my fellow men'.
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 08:43 PM   #50
Soku

As long as the person complys to the photos being taken, I see no problem, especially if it is during a photoshoot, I'd be a bit weirded out if it happened in the middle of the dealers room.

Also, the girls are cosplaying from what I believe is an ecchi manga, so panty shots and bust shots are kind the norm =P

And on the same note, whats the difference between panties under a skirt and short shorts crawling hald way up your butt? Or a micro bikini?

And how come I never hear or see threads about guys who run around in speedos? Or shirtless?
Miwako Sakurada - Paradise Kiss
Goku - Saiyuki

Convention plans for 2011
Tsukino Con-Attended
Cos&Effect-Will be going
Soku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 08:45 PM   #51
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soku View Post
And how come I never hear or see threads about guys who run around in speedos? Or shirtless?
Because there's less of attraction attached to it?

Seriously, think about it.
Unread 03-28-2011, 09:06 PM   #52
Cnvrg2Infinity

No, I don't think it's a good idea - you don't know what kind of people are out there is my personal opinion. If you wear shorts under then that's a bit of a different story. But pantie shot? Definite NO!
Cnvrg2Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 09:28 PM   #53
lyraparry11

I wouldn't let someone get a panty shot of me, ever. I don't see any appeal in it at all. I really have no intention of prancing about with my undies showing, or with their being any chance of them showing. Even while wearing short skirts in day to day life, I wear shorts.
Anime Boston attendee since 2009
lyraparry11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 09:36 PM   #54
Soku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildread View Post
Because there's less of attraction attached to it?

Seriously, think about it.
So men in speedos can't be attractive? Hmmm....
Goku - Saiyuki

Tsukino Con-Attended
Cos&Effect-Will be going
Unread 03-28-2011, 09:49 PM   #55
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soku View Post
So men in speedos can't be attractive? Hmmm....
Not really what I was going for, but hey, it might be so considering the lack of discussing about it.
Unread 03-28-2011, 10:41 PM   #56
tarinalove
alsoknownas Katarini

panties do not equal nudity, but like hell am i gonna flash a guy who is not my boyfriend for his camera so he can "enjoy himself". Also sexual harrassment laws should be taken into consideration.
And i am not the type of person who enjoys having random strangers just take my photo without asking anyway.

https://www.facebook.com/RinaMeowsir
I take commissions, just send me a message. <3
tarinalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 11:12 PM   #57
Soku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildread View Post
Not really what I was going for, but hey, it might be so considering the lack of discussing about it.
Haha, I think the point I'm trying to get across is that most things that I've seen that are geared towards inappropriate/skanty/not publicly acceptable are almost always gears towards females. For example, pimp Mario, lots of people think it's awesome, but I don't think a pimp Peach would fly with the majority.

I think I'm getting off topic though, and I don't think you're wrong either =P
Goku - Saiyuki

Tsukino Con-Attended
Cos&Effect-Will be going
Unread 03-28-2011, 11:24 PM   #58
sploosh

^ Chalk it up to the ol' double standard and hope that it represents a leap forward for women.

Then again, fanservice directed at women tends to be tamer anyways; I've noticed that it often manifests itself as formal wear. Less objectionable than lots of boobies.
sploosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 11:58 PM   #59
fabrickind

I think that within the "beach-appropriate" rule of thumb, skimpy costumes aren't the same because the costume is -meant- to be seen. Undies are private and not meant to be seen, so if someone goes out of their way to sneak a photo of someone's undies, they are violating privacy.

Of course, I could care less about consensual panty shots, so that doesn't really matter to me. If a girl wants to flash her panties, she can go right ahead since they are her panties and her body, I can't really judge.

I've noticed that guys can sort of get away with skimpier things without being slut-shamed or called indecent... I mean, a speedo is nothing that you won't see at a beach, and I hardly see anything for buys skimpier than that. Obviously if something is popping out on either sex, that's a problem, but if it's all contained, a speedo is still technically less fabric than a bikini. Of course, it's the old double standard where women are expected to be modest and "proper." Oh yeah, and unattractive or overweight people are more likely to be called out for indecency, it's just how this kind of thing works. It's not right, but it is how it is.

Though, I think that the double standard is also applicable in men vs women showing undies... I see guys all the time with their pants sagging so low pretty much all of their boxers are showing, and no one cares, but if a girl's panties show, a huge production is made. It's just cloth, but I don't need to see it either way, thank you.
fabrickind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 02:00 AM   #60
Kelley
Devil of Details

I don't care if other people do that - as long as all parties are aware and consenting. No consent is obviously a HUGE no-no.

Personally, I probably wouldn't do a "panty shot" the way it's usually meant to mean. I'm not a fan of that kind of sexuality, but I'm not here to judge.

I wouldn't be opposed to doing artistic pictures with little or no clothing - but I would have to appreciate the artistic outcome. I like good erotic pictures, but there's an aesthetic out there that really grosses me out - overproduced and icky and also completely underproduced and sad. I would be okay being a part of something I could appreciate the artistic merit in.

Which I guess relates back to panty shots... I just don't appreciate the possible artistic merit there. I can see recreating a character who is well known for that - in that case, it only follows. But... just not my thing.
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote