Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Steampunk

Unread 03-28-2011, 01:17 PM   #1
Smurfasaur
ebay addict

steampunk fabrick help

hello there!

I'm making a steampunk costume for a con coming up and I am totally new to steampunk, the fabrics included. I need to make a underbust type thing, and it looks like it should be leather. BUT leather is 1 expensive, 2 I have never worked with it. My question is, is there any other fabric that would be acceptable for this? That would look right? I really havent seen to many steampunk cosplays up close enough to see what other people were using so I need your guys help! pretty pweese
Smurfasaur is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-28-2011, 02:04 PM   #2
Clem O'Grady
I ain't yer darlin'

Take a look at microsuede or microfiber. It has the look of suede but is made out of synthetic fibers instead. You can get it in any color you'd care to, pretty much, and it sews up nicely.
Clem O'Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 02:08 PM   #3
Smurfasaur
ebay addict

awesome! thank you so much. is it stiff or would i need some kind of thick interfacing? because i also have to be able to attach brass findings to it.
Unread 03-28-2011, 07:22 PM   #4
Clem O'Grady
I ain't yer darlin'

I'm assuming by findings you mean grommets and the like? Some microsuedes are pretty thick, so I would say use your discretion.

Interfacing or some sort of interlining would probably be good for holding shape and supporting embellishments. Something like twill or denim will be inexpensive and work well. Also, you might like to look into getting a tailors awl if you're going to be setting a lot of grommets, as it will compromise the fabric less and prevent the material from tearing and fraying.
Unread 03-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #5
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

You could also always try to get some vinyl. It's really not that hard to work with, just make sure you get the right needles for it. Vinyl is also much cheaper than real leather. I was daunted by it the first time I used it, but it's really not that bad to work with.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 01:29 PM   #6
Smurfasaur
ebay addict

by findings i mean grommets and hooks and clasps that look like they are for hinges or something that should not be on fabric! they are probably going to be pretty heavy, but thank you so much guys! do you know if either of those fabrics can be bleached? i was thinking of getting black and spraying it with bleach from a spray bottle to give it texture
Unread 03-30-2011, 09:46 AM   #7
Clem O'Grady
I ain't yer darlin'

On bleach: Microsuede yes, vinyl no.
Unread 04-02-2011, 12:38 PM   #8
Smurfasaur
ebay addict

i figured not on vinyl, but do you think spraying it from a bottle on black micro suede and immediately washing it would give a cracked leathery effect?
Unread 04-04-2011, 09:44 AM   #9
Clem O'Grady
I ain't yer darlin'

It'll give you more of a worn leather effect, vs a cracked one. Microsuede is just what is says, a synthetic version of suede, which wears as it ages. It doesn't crack because its a softer leather.

You can buy vinyl that has the appearance of cracked leather, though.
Unread 04-04-2011, 04:59 PM   #10
Smurfasaur
ebay addict

i wasnt really going for cracked but i was going for worn! ill do a small test first