Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Fullmetal Alchemist

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-29-2011, 05:17 PM   #1
Ichigo Oblivion

Ed Elric Jacket

I'm not quite sure what fabric to make the red jacket out of. I read one thread that said twill, but it's expensive. Should I pick a different fabric, or go ahead and splurge on the twill?
Here are some reference pictures:

Also, does anyone have any recommendations on what to make the shirt and pants out of?
Ichigo Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-29-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
Gypsyangelf4i
Places to go,People to be

I had mine made out of Twill. It IS expensive, but how often are you going to make this jacket? Mine takes alot of abuse at the con and holds up quite well. I did start making another jacket out of Bottomweight and it was turning out quite nice before I lost interest. Look for sales and coupons to help cover fabric expenses, but honestly. The jacket with fabric + liner + paint for symbol on back probably ran around $65-$70.
Ironically, Greed's jacket doesn't seem as elaborate,but I'm already into it for over $80 XD

For the shirt, some decent cotton with light to medium interfacing would probably work well. They make a great light interfacing that's soft fabric not plasticy, and it can be ironed on.

The pants are tricky because they're kinda shiny. I've seen everything from pleather to crepe. I just cheated and found some shiny polyester pants from NY & Co for $35. They work great.

Last edited by Gypsyangelf4i : 03-29-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Gypsyangelf4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 06:26 PM   #3
Kelley
Devil of Details

Twill is actually the "cheap" solution. I think that's probably the cheapest you're going to get.
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 06:33 PM   #4
Zarai13

I used twill for mine as well for the coat and the black shirt. I just bought a pair of black pants to wear with mine, but would love to make a pair out of pleather eventually. Just keep an eye out for coupons and sales and it shouldn't end up being too expensive.
Zarai13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 09:36 PM   #5
Yumei

I made my whole Edward cosplay outfit.. pants, black jacket and red jacket from country classic cotton from Joann's. Thats probably not recommended but it was what I had on hand and could afford when I was making his outfit. I have not gotten any bad complaints on how it looks. I've had the cosplay for five or six years and still wearing it to future cons. I wear his red jacket out and about like I would everyday cloths. You just have to take your time while cutting and sewing.
That was a cheaper way to go but since the price of it went up I'm not sure. You might wanna compare prices first cause if there not much of a difference you can just go with your first choice of twill.

Last edited by Yumei : 03-29-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Yumei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 10:45 PM   #6
harmonyisarine

I just made an Ed Elric jacket out of wool suiting from Jo-Ann's and it moves perfectly (side note, I always saw the jacket as a wool and unlined, because of the way it hangs, but each person sees it differently ^_^). When I make the full cosplay for my sister (the jacket was for me because it's made of win), I plan on using different cottons for the black jacket (heavier/stiffer) and the black tank top-type shirt (thinner, softer) and then leather or pleather for the pants.
harmonyisarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 05:29 PM   #7
Ichigo Oblivion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley View Post
Twill is actually the "cheap" solution. I think that's probably the cheapest you're going to get.
I don't even want to know the expensive solution. Thanks for the suggestions, guys!
Ichigo Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2011, 11:39 PM   #8
creativecrater
browncoat trekkie

HAH wow i feel so cheap. I went to downtown LA's fashion district and got $2 red (cotton?) material to make my sister's Ed jacket. I'm so new to sewing and the whole hobby i didn't want to get nice material and fail miserably. It was also my first self-patterned piece of clothing and it was VERY last minute. It came out a bit on the small side overall and the hood is too large, but it works rather nicely. I just wish I'd lined it--so my advice is DEFINTELY line your jacket, no matter what you choose to make it out of.

"Get Ready. This is the I.C.U. The Intensive Cosplay Unit. Dirty bit."
creativecrater is offline   Reply With Quote