Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Soul Eater

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-30-2011, 07:28 PM   #1
Secret92

Patty's Shorts?

I'm thinking of cosplaying Patty at some point, because her air-head-y-ness-thingy is kinda like me. (Um, in case that whole moment there didn't make it obvious, that is. ) The hat, top, and shoes should be easy enough for me, but I have to admit... the shorts sort of stump me a bit.

I don't really know how I'd get the shorts to be puffy without looking too stupid. Because, like, I'm not extremely experienced with sewing (I know the basics, but that's about it), so I'm kinda not sure how to go about it. I know I could just cut the fabric to be thicker and puff out, but how would I get them to stay up and not slide down without choking off the blood supply to my legs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
William T. Spears (Black Butler): 100%
fem!Danny Phantom (Danny Phantom): 100%
Rao (Okami): 100%
Pajama!William (Black Butler): 100%

Patty Thompson (Soul Eater): 45%

Project A-Kon 23
Priestess Seto (Yu-Gi-Oh!): 100%
fem!Marik (Yu-Gi-Oh!): 65%
Madame Red (Black Butler): 5%
Secret92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-10-2011, 05:48 PM   #2
Xion is a lie. Like cake.

I'm not sure if you're still looking for a how-to on this, but I'll give it my best shot.

Here's the reference pic of Patty that I used, assuming you want your shorts to end up looking like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/22513167@N04/2702081945/

Basically, to attain the poofiness would be achieved somewhat like this:
1. Take the measurement around your body of where you want the shorts to sit. Take this measurement and cut a waistband to that size. Do the same thing for the cuffs where the shorts end-- you'll want two cuffs, each one matching your right and left thigh measurements (make sure you add 5/8" in seam allomance and 1/8" in ease to the measurements before you cut your fabric).

2. Then, you'll want to take the three measurements-- the waistband, left thigh cuff and right thigh cuff-- and multiply them by three (write these three new numbers down!).

3. At this point, you'll probably want to find a basic shorts pattern (from a fabric store or pattern company's website) to base the rest off of. Now you'll want to alter the pattern so that their shorts body's waist and leghole measurements match the newer, "3x" measurements that you wrote down earlier. If you tried on the shorts at this point they'd be huge in the waist and legholes, but this is what we want. Once you have cut these pieces out of your fabric (I'd recommend using some muslin to create a mockup first), you're going to sew the side seams and crotch seams and then gather the shorts. To gather, you set your machine to the longest stitch length possible (usually somewhere around 5-- the higher the number, the longer the stitch) and sew in a straight line about 3/8" in from the edge of the waistband. Make sure while you're doing this that you DO NOT backstitch, and that you leave very long tails of string (the strings on the end of the seam that you usually cut off). Repeat this gathering process for the legholes. When you're done stitching, pull the bottom "tail" (there will be two- one for the top thread and one for the bottom bobbin thread) and the fabric will scrunch up. You're going to pull the strings, gathering the fabric until the gathered waistband and gathered legholes match the measurements of the waistband and leghole cuffs, respectively.

4. Then you'll pin, wrong sides together, the gathered seams to their respective cuffs/waistband. Sew those together (make sure you set your machine stitch length back to whatever it was before-- usually about 2.5-- and DO backstitch this time!) and turn it right side out and voila, you'll have poofy shorts!

I know this was a very long explanation but it's a relatively simple concept! If you need more help or don't understand any of it, please feel free to pm me Good luck with your Patty cosplay!
Finished:
Maka--Soul Eater
Axel--KHII
Princess Yue-- Avatar: the Last Airbender
avatarded is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 06:18 PM   #3

I'm not sure if you're still looking for a how-to on this, but I'll give it my best shot.

Here's the reference pic of Patty that I used, assuming you want your shorts to end up looking like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/22513167@N04/2702081945/

Basically, to attain the poofiness would be achieved somewhat like this:
1. Take the measurement around your body of where you want the shorts to sit. Take this measurement and cut a waistband to that size. Do the same thing for the cuffs where the shorts end-- you'll want two cuffs, each one matching your right and left thigh measurements (make sure you add 5/8" in seam allomance and 1/8" in ease to the measurements before you cut your fabric).

2. Then, you'll want to take the three measurements-- the waistband, left thigh cuff and right thigh cuff-- and multiply them by three (write these three new numbers down!).

3. At this point, you'll probably want to find a basic shorts pattern (from a fabric store or pattern company's website) to base the rest off of. Now you'll want to alter the pattern so that their shorts body's waist and leghole measurements match the newer, "3x" measurements that you wrote down earlier. If you tried on the shorts at this point they'd be huge in the waist and legholes, but this is what we want. Once you have cut these pieces out of your fabric (I'd recommend using some muslin to create a mockup first), you're going to sew the side seams and crotch seams and then gather the shorts. To gather, you set your machine to the longest stitch length possible (usually somewhere around 5-- the higher the number, the longer the stitch) and sew in a straight line about 3/8" in from the edge of the waistband. Make sure while you're doing this that you DO NOT backstitch, and that you leave very long tails of string (the strings on the end of the seam that you usually cut off). Repeat this gathering process for the legholes. When you're done stitching, pull the bottom "tail" (there will be two- one for the top thread and one for the bottom bobbin thread) and the fabric will scrunch up. You're going to pull the strings, gathering the fabric until the gathered waistband and gathered legholes match the measurements of the waistband and leghole cuffs, respectively.

4. Then you'll pin, wrong sides together, the gathered seams to their respective cuffs/waistband. Sew those together (make sure you set your machine stitch length back to whatever it was before-- usually about 2.5-- and DO backstitch this time!) and turn it right side out and voila, you'll have poofy shorts!

I know this was a very long explanation but it's a relatively simple concept! If you need more help or don't understand any of it, please feel free to pm me Good luck with your Patty cosplay!
Finished:
Maka--Soul Eater
Axel--KHII
Unread 07-11-2011, 01:15 AM   #4
Secret92

Thank you very much! This is really helpful; much better than I'd expected, really. I don't think I'll have any problems now, but if I do, I'll be sure to PM you~

Thanks once again
William T. Spears (Black Butler): 100%
fem!Danny Phantom (Danny Phantom): 100%
Rao (Okami): 100%
Pajama!William (Black Butler): 100%

Patty Thompson (Soul Eater): 45%

Project A-Kon 23
Priestess Seto (Yu-Gi-Oh!): 100%
fem!Marik (Yu-Gi-Oh!): 65%
Madame Red (Black Butler): 5%
Secret92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2011, 08:30 PM   #5

No problem! I'm glad it's of help. Sorry for the double post, I asked the mods to remove the second one ^^; And please feel free to PM me if you need any further help! ^^
Good luck on Patty, and I be sure to post pics of your results!
~avatarded
Finished:
Maka--Soul Eater
Axel--KHII
Unread 07-26-2011, 10:18 PM   #6
pyrodancer

I kinda make my own patterns as I make my costumes, but what avatarded described is pretty much the same method I used to make my Patty shorts.

I took measurements of myself, made the pattern of the shorts really big. then I gathered the top of the shorts, then sewed the waistband over it. For the bottom part (the thirghs) I put in elastic instead of gathering, so that I can have it fit my thighs comfortably, and if I hike it up just a lil bit, it gives and extra poofy-ness. I really like my shorts, they turned out awesome, and they're really comfy! good luck with your shorts!!
pyrodancer is offline   Reply With Quote