Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Steampunk

Unread 04-01-2011, 03:33 AM   #1
CyberCandy
Just a v i r u s

Newb To Steampunk

I've always admired Steampunk fashion from afar. It's always something I've been interested in, but been afraid to do because I'm too fimilar with it. Since I first saw images of Steampunk fashion in a magazine called Coilhouse, it seems like steampunkers have been growing out of the woodwork so to speak. So I really want to obtain my very first steampunk outfit.

Though to be honest, I don't feel comfortable with making it. Eventhough I've seen a lot of photos of steampunk, i still don't quite understand it. I think it's mostly because I'm a really colorful person. & from what I've seen steampunk has lots of earthtones, mostly shade of brown and gold. So are there any 'rules' persay to Steampunk?

Also, I was wondering if there were any decent website to buy steampunk clothing and accessories from? C:

thanks so much<3

CyberCandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-01-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

For the colors, it's been said before, that while steampunk is usually very earthy with the browns and drab colors, maybe splashes of red, you can go bright and colorful. If you are doing something more aristocratic, back in the Victorian times they used every color they could get their hands on, so you could always work with something of that sort to create a steampunk character and have your bright colors too.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2011, 12:10 PM   #3
Shine-Chan
Happy Little Tv

There is no reason to shun color as a steampunk. The victorians loved some eye bleeding bright colors too. Some of my best pieces use bright sari fabric and my favorite combos are screaming blue and black and vivid green and black. You should look at some of the steampunk flicker groups or the brass googels forum for insparation on useing color.

As far as places to buy clothes have you thought about going to thift stores and altering things? You can get amazing one of a kind things that way. Also if you want to buy show stoper pieces I would look at etsy. There are some wonderful artests on there and the steam team is a good place to start. And try looking at the steam fashion live jornal. A lot of makers show off there or offer discounts and they are wonderful to newbes looking for help too.
Shine-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2011, 02:49 PM   #4
Clem O'Grady
I ain't yer darlin'

I really recommend the Steam Fashion community on live journal. On the first sticky post is a list as long as my arm on places to buy steampunk items and clothing, as well as some tips for putting together an outfit.

And yes, colors are good. The photography was black and white, but the fashion wasn't. Sky's the limit.
Clem O'Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2011, 12:10 AM   #5
CyberCandy
Just a v i r u s

thanks so much everyone C:

Unread 04-02-2011, 12:51 PM   #6
fallenone121

As has been pointed out the steampunk ideals has no real 'clear cut' rules behind their forms because it is based largely on Victorian fashion. The only real rule would be to be able to explain 'why'.

If the character your are playing out is lower class, would it have higher class fabrics?

Would you really need clockwork parts as 'decorations' on a multitude of your garments?

Would a lady of court have a hand spanner or goggles?

There is little limit to colors or what exists in forms and fashions, since Victorian is the style that bore into existance the stripey bathing suits.

I would say that if you could wear it in lolita or frontier fashions you could wear it for steampunk. And frontier fashion was the one known for the rule of (due to their use of sack cloth for low income clothes):

"If you can get your hands on it, you can use it."
Honey - Ouran High School Host Club (90%)
Mal Reynolds - Firefly / Serenity (10%)
Commander Shepard - Mass Effect (0%)
Spike - Cowboy Bebop (0%)
fallenone121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2011, 12:54 PM   #7
fallenone121

Steampunk clothing websites:

www.gentlemansemporium.com (yes, they have a women's shop)

www.clockworkcouture.com

www.etsy.com (great for accessories)
Honey - Ouran High School Host Club (90%)
Mal Reynolds - Firefly / Serenity (10%)
Commander Shepard - Mass Effect (0%)
Spike - Cowboy Bebop (0%)
fallenone121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2011, 06:06 PM   #8
kaligoddess
Frost Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenone121 View Post
Steampunk clothing websites:
www.gentlemansemporium.com (yes, they have a women's shop)
The ladies' side is the aptly named http://www.ladiesemporium.com/ And the steampunk specific side is http://www.steampunkemporium.com
Unread 04-03-2011, 02:50 PM   #9
Psycho_Kitty
It flies, it dies

I'm also new to steampunk I'm finding out ebay helps out alot when it comes to accessories or even shoes. Thats where I bought my boots for what I'm doing. Also if you are planning to do any type of weapons nerf guns are really easy to customize.
SDCC '14
Currently working on:
Season 1 Jon Snow
Upcoming:
Original Character- Assassin
Sniper ODST

Psycho_Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2011, 07:56 PM   #10
CyberCandy
Just a v i r u s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho_Kitty View Post
I'm also new to steampunk I'm finding out ebay helps out alot when it comes to accessories or even shoes. Thats where I bought my boots for what I'm doing. Also if you are planning to do any type of weapons nerf guns are really easy to customize.
thanks so much C:
are there any sellers you sugguest or just any are fine?

Unread 04-03-2011, 11:47 PM   #11
Volnixshin
Tesla Powered

do you feel to be steampunk you need to have a Victorian aesthetic?

Czech jvorxelf, bephor yue rek jvorxelf
Volnixshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 12:04 AM   #12
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volnixshin View Post
I would have to say that my opinion on this is yes AND no. Victorian and Edwardian styles are what most steampunk is loosely based upon. Once you get into the early 1900s, you're slowly moving into more of a dieselpunk style. The Victorian aesthetic is a great one to use as a jumping off point, but I don't think that someone who wants to be steampunk or make a steampunk costume should limit themselves to what was just in that era. When you start to limit yourself, that's when you fall into cliches and can mess up the whole thing. Also, limiting yourself doesn't allow you to be all that creative. If you just do corsets, bustle skirts, frock coats and waistcoats, then you get typical and boring. Am I saying don't use those things? Of course not, because I'm guilty of it myself in creating steampunk designs for myself and friends. But don't let those be your only options. Take a basic idea and run with it...and don't just throw on goggles with a Victorian outfit and announce to the world "I'm steampunk now!" That really is just overdone.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 03:02 AM   #13
Kelley
Devil of Details

Be careful buying anything labelled "steampunk", especially on eBay. Often you can find the EXACT SAME products for a fraction of the cost without the label - for instance, $50 "steampunk" pocket watches sold for $3 otherwise.

You're better off buying thrift-store stuff than spending a lot of money on something from a "steampunk" store. For instance, "Gentlemen's Emporium" is a lot of polyester stuff in modern patterns at high prices. You don't need to be historically by any means, but polyester is almost never good and you'll fall victim to the "we all shop at the same store" cliches if you buy what everyone else is buying and don't modify.

Buy used and modify or make your own. Don't get stuff with "stuck on" gears.

I'd highly recommend historic research because it gives you a base of knowledge to be genuinely creative with. Again, no need to be "historically accurate" - but you are only making a copy of an interpretation if you don't do your own research and that's how Steampunk gets stale and cliche, when people don't really understand what's the influences are.
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 09:40 AM   #14
Clem O'Grady
I ain't yer darlin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volnixshin View Post
I would say that concerning the Victorian aesthetic in the truest definition of the word, yes, it is important. I'm not talking fashion, I'm talking the broad ideas of objective beauty that applied to the Victorians and their sensibilities. Victorian things were ornate, excessively decorated, and made to be beautiful. Edwardian has a very different aesthetic, just as our modern time now does. A lot of our modern fashion, especially formal wear, is Edwardian based (just look at mens formal wear).

While steampunk is about being creative, its also rooted in Victorian times. There were elements to that time period that are distinctive, and without them, the aesthetic gets a bit muddled and lost. Everything can't be steampunk just because its cool.
Clem O'Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 08:09 PM   #15
CyberCandy
Just a v i r u s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley View Post
Be careful buying anything labelled "steampunk", especially on eBay. Often you can find the EXACT SAME products for a fraction of the cost without the label - for instance, $50 "steampunk" pocket watches sold for $3 otherwise.

You're better off buying thrift-store stuff than spending a lot of money on something from a "steampunk" store. For instance, "Gentlemen's Emporium" is a lot of polyester stuff in modern patterns at high prices. You don't need to be historically by any means, but polyester is almost never good and you'll fall victim to the "we all shop at the same store" cliches if you buy what everyone else is buying and don't modify.

Buy used and modify or make your own. Don't get stuff with "stuck on" gears.

I'd highly recommend historic research because it gives you a base of knowledge to be genuinely creative with. Again, no need to be "historically accurate" - but you are only making a copy of an interpretation if you don't do your own research and that's how Steampunk gets stale and cliche, when people don't really understand what's the influences are.
Thanks so much for the advice C: