Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Original Designs

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-07-2010, 09:30 PM   #16
Aleiki
Science Lawyer

I'm awesome and I forgot to write my reply to the topic itself.

I've been avoiding OC cosplay because when I first started cosplaying a couple years ago, my only cosplayer friend was my girlfriend, and she said, A), "You CAN go to the convention without cosplaying, but it would be lame, and B), "No, you absolutely may not cosplay an OC. That's just weird."

Obviously we've both grown quite a bit and gotten more into the world of conventions and cosplay, and are more aware of what is and isn't "lame" or "weird." At this point I probably would go as an OC, if I had one that was appropriate. My main characters right now are, first of all, male, for the most part (and I pretty much suck at crossplaying), and second, not very interesting as a cosplay. I love the characters themselves but the designs are pretty normal... I haven't made any... shall we say "creative" outfits for quite a while, and when I did, I had no clue what I was doing and they're all terrible. XD'

I wouldn't mind other people cosplaying as OCs... except that I wouldn't know who they were, and would be, as I stated above, probably less inclined to talk to them. If I see someone from, say, a show I love that isn't super popular, I'll definitely talk to them, because that awesome factor overrides my shyness. But if I did end up talking to them and found out it was an OC, I certainly wouldn't think any less of them. As a matter of fact, if I liked the design at all, I'd think even more of them, because they came up with it themselves.
Aleiki is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-18-2010, 01:05 PM   #17
Braithcakes
Doggie Ninja!

I like OC's if they're well done.

if someone wears a hoodie and jeans and says it's an OC or something, I don't really...think of it as a costume at all.

I've seen some REAAAALLY extravagant and beautiful OC charactes before though, I thought it was a character from trinity blood because of the way it looked, but it was an OC
Soul Eater: Blaire(male)- Page 12, Chapter 73.
Male Dagger/Garnet: Final Fantasy-9

2011 Cons:
Megacon '11
Metrocon '11
Braithcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2010, 10:42 PM   #18
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

If I do an original character, I go up the nines with fanciness since I can be as creative and detail-laden as I want.
Case in point, for Halloween (and started in December....);
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/273272/
http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/196429/
And I got asked numerous times if I was recreating a medieval portrait, opera character, or going to some kind of special celebration/ceremony. Or just flatout stopped on the street and gawked at.
And so far, she's the only one. I have a few others planned, but all my originals are based from fantasy/sci-fi and historical costuming genres. I don't really have plans for an original anime character.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 11:30 PM   #19
StrykerCrewman
SGT Wright

I'm actually bouncing around the ideas for a webcomic I'd like to publish. But the artwork would actually be altered photography, so I'd need to make the costumes and props to make the webstrip to begin with.
StrykerCrewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2010, 11:56 AM   #20
Yukikittie

I'm totally opened it it.
I may even attempt it someday. Cx
Unread 12-14-2010, 02:40 AM   #21
rionaze
me want shrimp tempura!!!

I've been OC since my first cosplay, and its been fun cause the clothes really suit me well: hide my sailor guts & enhance the overall cool-ness

The best thing about OC ing (if you are really creative) you can make almost anything into costume. If its done well, you'll got a very cool costume with minimum cost ^^

I made mine from scrap fabric & stuff i salvage from dumpster diving.

If it's look 'wow' you don't have to worry about lack of attention, the crowd will swarm you before you know it ^^

anyone else up for OC?
rionaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2011, 09:04 AM   #22
GrimKitty6
Bishounen Lover

I'm always up for it! In fact, I haven't cosplayed a "real" character yet, lol.

I enjoy being an OC It's fun rummaging through my closet or clothing racks and imagining the endless possibilities. I wasn't going to the con to be photographed, or assaulted and glomped by fans, lol. I went to experience the joys of being around my fellow anime/manga lovers. ^_^

This go round I'm actually going to start making costumes for some "real" characters, though one I think is hardly known at all. But I'm doing it because I love that character to bits and pieces!!! And sure it'll be nice if people recognize me or take a picture because I'll be in tengu geta with a giant spear, lol, but I'll be happy just knowing I'm giving some much deserved love to a certain series.
GrimKitty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2011, 12:13 PM   #23
NeonSkylight

Ive cos-played as my OC's before, however ive only done them at home, I would love to dress as one of my over-complicated Oc's as a con because there really fun. I love the idea of dressing as your OC because there so much fun and its just super fun especially if you have your friends with you and they know your character and you can just have a ton of fun with it, even if other people dont know your OC
NeonSkylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2011, 07:58 PM   #24
LostLittleWitch
Please cut the lights D:

I'd really like to make a few costumes of some of my original characters, though I'm keeping them on the backburner... However, I would like to some day.
Unread 04-03-2011, 10:31 PM   #25
Taliesiin
the Adventurer

Cosplaying original characters?

How many of you have cosplayed an OC of yours (or others)? What feedback did you get from the public, did you get a lot of pictures etc? Would you ever consider cosplaying an OC? What do you tend to think of people who often cosplay their own OCs? Is it more acceptable the more unique the OC is?

I don't personally have very many human OCs, but it just occurred to me that cosplaying Vita or Rockit would both be really really fun. X3
Taliesiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2011, 10:43 PM   #26
BsWN

I've cosplayed my own OC once before. It wasn't bad. But you don't get a lot of pictures, from what I experienced. Well, at least I didn't, but a friend of mien got loads, but that's because she had a hoopskirt on...

Still, my OC is not really someone I'll be cosplaying again, more dresses, yes. More Rozalina? Not likely. =/
BsWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 02:50 AM   #27
Chaletica
[laughs]

OCs are cool, and if the costume looks cool, I'll probably ask them for pictures and such too.

As for my OCs? I could possibly cosplay them... however, they all have pretty "normal", casual clothing, so I would likely have to do something else... they are animals(as in anthros/furries), so... animal ears and tail? But then, people might mistake me for "just another person in neko ears" or something.. body paint would be good for that, but I don't really like wearing it, so... Yeah, it's all about making people see you're actually a character, made by yourself or otherwise.
Unread 04-08-2011, 01:13 AM   #28
Origin
Just A Work In Progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiratsukai View Post
For myself: nay.

For others: if they're enjoying themselves, more power to them. But I usually don't find myself inspired to approach them, begin a conversation or take a picture. I'm too busy looking for characters I recognize and people who seem to share my interests.
Pretty much my view also.

I have nothing against OC's... but to me their not really cosplays. They're just... costumes. I love seeing peoples originality, but I don't take pictures of them, because I really... don't feel any need to. It's like "Wow! That lolita looks really good!" and that's it. It's not like seeing a Sailor Moon or something and going "Wow! She really stands out, I want her picture!" because I know the character and I understand who she is.

They Will See... We'll Fight Until Eternity...
Come With Me, We'll Stand And Fight...
Together.
Through Our Strength We'll Make A Better Day Tomorrow...
We Shall Never Surrender.

Sakuracon '14~ Redeemed Riven= League of Legends
Secret Cosplay= Attack on Titan
Origin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #29
ZeKarmiSama

I think OC cosplay can be interesting.

I want to do my OC. He's a little boy from the 1920s... he might look too normal though so I might end up just looking like someone dressed way too formal for an anime convention.
Unread 04-08-2011, 09:12 PM   #30
Lt.Finn
Cupcake Lord

I went as one to my first con and I hated every minute of it. I would like to do it again.. except.. eh..... I don't know how effectively I would be able to bind.. I looove Robert. It would have to be him. The girls are no challenge and my other men are way too.. um.. no shot in hell.

.. or Patrick.. Patrick's chubbier.. ^ . ^ Easier to pad tummy to match hips than to try to squish hips.
Lt.Finn is offline   Reply With Quote