Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Original Designs

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-06-2011, 02:56 AM   #46
Artemis.exe
Imperial Thunder Chief

As far as OC's go, I enjoy it. Hell, I practically do it every day. BUT, to the average casual con-goer, unless your cosplay is really extravagant, you won't attract much attention. :9
Artemis.exe is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-13-2011, 11:02 AM   #47
Lucilia

You can make an original character that can still be recognised by others.

For example, if you Cosplay an original Asari character from Mass Effect or a Namekian from Dragonball Z. You might get mistaken for Liara or Piccolo though.

I did a Lone Wanderer Cosplay - since the character is fully customisable, I stuck to a recognisable starting outfit. Likewise you could do your own WoW character - even if people do not know who it is, they can still see its from that game.

What do others think?
Lucilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2011, 08:48 PM   #48
xoxoPanda-chan

Personally, I fully support the idea of being able to cosplay an original character, mainly because I hope to cosplay one of my own. (:
Unread 06-21-2011, 02:01 AM   #49
FevrierMai

I have a friend who was inspired a while back to design an original private school uniform. We keep saying that as soon as one of us learns to sew properly we'll all go as original characters just to mess with people.

Most of my problems with original character cosplay stems from the fact that a lot of the 'original characters' are just people in their everyday clothes (though I do have a friend who gets asked if she's in cosplay when wearing her normal clothes, which are spiffy to the max). When I dress up as original characters I want people to think it's a cosplay from a series they haven't heard of. I hope all of that made sense.
Unread 06-22-2011, 10:04 PM   #50
xoxoPanda-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FevrierMai View Post
I have a friend who was inspired a while back to design an original private school uniform. We keep saying that as soon as one of us learns to sew properly we'll all go as original characters just to mess with people.

Most of my problems with original character cosplay stems from the fact that a lot of the 'original characters' are just people in their everyday clothes (though I do have a friend who gets asked if she's in cosplay when wearing her normal clothes, which are spiffy to the max). When I dress up as original characters I want people to think it's a cosplay from a series they haven't heard of. I hope all of that made sense.
^^ Don't worry it makes perfect sense to me
Unread 06-23-2011, 01:10 AM   #51
Azure_Sky
Memento Mori

O.o What the crap?!! An "OC" Thread?!...I'm not alone...T_T
Unread 06-23-2011, 01:17 AM   #52
xoxoPanda-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure_Sky View Post
O.o What the crap?!! An "OC" Thread?!...I'm not alone...T_T
of course you arent! ^^ There are more 'OC' people then you think.
Dont worry, I thought the same thing at first lol.
Unread 07-04-2011, 11:42 AM   #53
sapphiredolphin
Cosplay Daydreamer

Hmmm...I had been toying with the idea of making an OC Elf. Kinda like a Cleric. After hearing all this talk, I might just have to consider it some more. Or a redesign of an OS-tan (personified operating systems or programs).

Up and Coming Cosplays
Holo (Horo) from Spice and Wolf
sapphiredolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 07:31 PM   #54
NaitoNii
Endless Dreamer

I really want to make my own O.C costume one day, so I say: "Yay! and have fun with it!"
In my spare time I tend to write stories for my own with a various cast of characters, and it would be awesome to one day wear the costume from one of my own characters to a con

http://naitonii.wordpress.com/
http://www.youtube.com/NaitoNii
NaitoNii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2011, 09:54 PM   #55
Spiritman
Boston's Hero

I myself have Basically done nothing but OC cosplay and even then my Cosplay usually is in the form of Puppets

currently im getting my suit fixed up for my original Superhero i made , cant wait to talk in those shows again

Anime Boston 2011 Cosplay: TMNT Puppets

Anime Boston 2013 Cosplay/Boston Comic Con 2013 :TMNT Michelangelo

http://www.youtube.com/user/PuppetsonScraps
Michelangelo Cosplay:The Boston Ninja Turtle
Spiritman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 07:50 PM   #56
PetiteAltesse

I've always wanted to create my own design and wear it to a con. I personally think it's a brilliant idea. You have creative control over the entire costume. You're not restricted like you are with a well known character/costume. You can make it however you like. Plus, once it's done, you'll feel amazing for finishing something of your own design. It probably feels even better when you go to con and people want your picture. I hope one day to start making my own designs, but so far I can't come up with anything.

I've done an original design of an existing character, however. I drew out my own version of Peter Pan and wore it to my local Renaissance Festival. I was shocked and so happy with how much great feedback I received. It makes me want to do more original takes on characters. My fiance and I are thinking of doing Steampunk Pan and Hook. We have our designs ready... now we just have to start on it.

So for me, orignal designs or remakes are a "yay".
PetiteAltesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 02:17 AM   #57
Azayakachan

I think its a great idea. If you designed the character yourself, it must feel incredible to see your character come to life. And you can be sure you're the only person who's ever made a cosplay of your OC so you'll feel special. I haven't made an OC cosplay yet, but I plan to. Its a great way to advertise, too :3
Azayakachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2011, 07:18 AM   #58
Akali
Heart of the sword

Did it once. It was really boring.
Akali is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 10:58 PM   #59
fuzzykitty_01
awsome one of awsomeness

me: yay and i've done it too! it was a ballroom version of my OC Theresa. I may not have developed her story enough to talk about her, but i loved the dress too much to pass it up. XD; for me, it's all about what looks good, what interests you, and creativity. if your OC is just a normal highschooler that was sucked into another world, great, but try not to use her 'higschooler' clothes. you know? try and make shit up to be interesting as possible. remember, first impressions last.

Other people: Yay as well. I mean, I might be confused if you are an OC or from an anime i've never seen before, but if i like the costume itself i'll take a pic or ask you about it. i may even hug you!

NEXT CON:
AnimeUSA 2012
fuzzykitty_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2011, 09:40 PM   #60
RedRobin

Honestly, I find the idea of going as an original character much more interesting than going as one from an anime. It's sad that you don't get people pointing at you when they recognize the character, of course, but I love the imagination that goes into making something up completely from scratch. ^_^ A large part of that is because I make props such as masks, so there's a lot more potential there for me to play around. Which is not to dis traditional cosplaying. It's just not as interesting to me personally.
RedRobin is offline   Reply With Quote