Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Critique

Unread 04-09-2011, 04:36 PM   #1
NoxOfTheNight

Please Critique

So I'm not grate but Some times I'm proud of the pics I take. Though I'd like to know how to make them better. Here are 3 of my better ones. Number 2 is my favorite.

http://sighchirose.deviantart.com/ar...24265041&qo=22

http://sighchirose.deviantart.com/ar...24265041&qo=18

http://finalheartsusa.deviantart.com...4771506&qo =2

So what should I do to improve?
NoxOfTheNight is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-10-2011, 04:20 AM   #2
parv

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoxOfTheNight View Post
So I'm not grate but Some times I'm proud of the pics I take. Though I'd like to know how to make them better.
Try to focus such that emphasis is on the subject if intention is not to present them as part of a scene. This may require manual focus and/or focus-recompose.

Try also to move the subjects elsewhere in a frame away from the center.

Quote:
Here are 3 of my better ones.

http://sighchirose.deviantart.com/ar...24265041&qo=22
Framing is good. Did you happen to have a photo where your camera might have been nearer to the eye level?

The pale steps in foreground & camera-right wall of equally low contrast make the whole picture a bit dull. Those could have respective contrast increased. Eye on camera-right seems blurry; focus seems to be elsewhere.

Quote:
Number 2 is my favorite.
What did you like more in this one than the other two?

(There are much perspectives & ranges of focus to explore here; interesting setting.)

Do I sense a smirk?

I would have tried taking one by moving more to the left sideways, while still remaining in front of the subject.

"OPEN" sign in background is stealing my eye. Cropping this just enough to exclude the sign would cut too close to the camera-left leg.

Use of additional light might have lowered the contrast enough so that camera-left shoulder & camera-right inner arm would not have been overexposed as much. Overexposure is not much of a problem for me here.

I like the poses, as I understand from the caption.

Fuzzy glow from reflective parts of hair & clothes is very distracting. Some combination of higher shutter speed, smaller aperture, lower sensitivity (ISO) might have reduced or eliminated the problem. Manual override might have came handy here.

Do note the "tree-growing-from-the-head" along with "blunt-object-through-the-skull" situations. Easiest way to solve this would be shallower depth of focus (so that tree immediately behind would be significantly enough out of focus). Other ways would involve shooting from a higher position and/or moving more to camera-right.
parv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2011, 02:35 PM   #3
Rock nam Lee
Saiyan Photographer

First one seems too flat, could've had the subjects arm stick out or something to give it more depth, too 2D right now. A little post doesn't hurt as well.
2. Could've shot a bit tighter, or cropped. Lighting isn't bad, too bad there was no reflect on your right side! Would've maybe positioned myself a bit lower and a bit to the right so the wig doesn't blend in so much with the background.
3. Would've shot this one in portrait since you're cutting off the feet, the whole composition begs to be a vertical image. The subject's head could've been adjusted a little bit for better viewing angle on your end. Keep on rollin.
Rock nam Lee is offline   Reply With Quote