Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Kuroshitsuji/Black Butler

Unread 04-10-2011, 06:37 PM   #1
rhymechan
Whiny Brat

Smile/Noah's Arc Ciel- Shorts?

Hi all!
Ref- http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...iel-circus.gif
So, I want to do that costume in the link. I really haven't sewn an entire costume by hand myself, but my grandmother's been helping me with a Ciel In Wonderland outfit, so I know enough to at least make the shorts (I already have a pattern for it, and I know how to make ruffles)
But what's giving me trouble is what fabric I should use. Based on the picture, it seems to be made of some sort of shiny material....And I've researched people who have done this costume before, and it looks like they've used some sort of satin.
I've worked with satin before, and I hated it. It was difficult to sew and it just looked awful in pictures. I really don't like the fabric, at all.
Is there any other fabric that has somewhat of a sheen to it, but isn't a pain like satin? Or could I get away with using a twill fabric for the shorts? Any feedback is appreciated!

On a side note, the vest. Is it possible to take an existing vest and alter it to be cropped like that? Since I'd rather thrift store a vest instead of make one from scratch.

Kraken Con Spring 2014 (volunteer!)
Casual Eren Jaeger

Sakura Con 2014
Day 1: Sam Manson (Danny Phantom)
Day 2: Lolita Eren (Shingeki no Kyojin)
Day 3: Curly Brace (Cave Story)
rhymechan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-12-2011, 11:56 AM   #2
MoonyCouture

hi! I made this costume a few months ago and I used a lovely blue Charmeuse because I liked the slight pinstripe texture it had and because I liked the silky feel (and the color was spot on too!) Another good fabric choice that I liked (they just didn't have it in the right color when I was making it) is Shantung. Really it all depends on how much you want to spend to make it

for the vest, I made mine, but yes, as long as you find the right cut you shouldn't have too much difficulty modifying it. You may have issues finding a vest with the appropriate collar for this costume though

hope that helps!
MoonyCouture is offline   Reply With Quote