Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 04-10-2011, 08:58 PM   #1
Quanakai

Latex body paint; Can black be made shiny?

I know shiny colors are made for latex body paint, but black is not an available color (not according to my research, anyway). Is there a way to make it shiny that won't make it flake off or something? I know there is a topcoat to keep the latex from sticking to itself, but I don't know if that itself would make it shiny or not. Thanks in advance for the advice!
Quanakai is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-10-2011, 09:09 PM   #2
Quanakai

Alternative body paints that come in a shiny black are also welcome
Unread 04-10-2011, 09:10 PM   #3
LunaNera
Dromaeosauridae

How much of your body are you wanting to paint? Covering yourself all over in latex is actually not very safe, your skin needs to breathe. You can get black liquid latex though.
Anyway the 'top coat' to keep latex from sticking to itself is actually just colorless powder. It would matte it out, not make it shiny.
If you do need to make yourself all black and shiny, you could use a water based body make up, then go over that with a translucent pearl powder(if you have an airbrush to do the pearl coat with even better). This is the method used in this body paint to make the skin look like plastic.
Using the pearl powder over the latex would, in theory, work as well.
Dark phoenix- x-men
Azula-Avatar the Last Airbender
LunaNera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2011, 09:15 PM   #4
Quanakai

I'm covering my whole body. I had read latex was fine for a night, but if there's a better way to get it, I'm all ears. I appreciate the help And I do own an airbrush.

Last edited by Quanakai : 04-10-2011 at 09:17 PM. Reason: missed some info
Unread 04-10-2011, 10:06 PM   #5
LunaNera
Dromaeosauridae

In theory it could be fine for a night, but that is putting your whole body into a plastic bag for several hours and not allowing it to breathe or sweat. If it is warm out I would not be surprised if you passed out due to the make up choice. Even if it is just for a couple hours.
I do not like the idea of smoothing anyone's skin and putting myself at danger for the sake of a costume.
I would recommend looking into temptu products for the actual black. They will allow your body to breath, and have very good staying power. They are alcohol based, so it takes awhile for them to start to rub off, and even then its only in areas where you have high friction(arm pits, where clothes touch the skin), and its easy to bring a brush and the bottle for quick touch ups. You would not have to powder it after either.
As for the shine, the pearl powders mixed with an airbrush extender, or a colorless airbrush medium(for make up, mehron and ben nye make them) and airbrushed over the black will make it shiny. You may have to do a few touch ups, but it is safe and will last a long time. It also wont hurt to take off, oh does liquid latex suck to get out of little fuzzy, baby hairs even with remover.
Dark phoenix- x-men
Azula-Avatar the Last Airbender
LunaNera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 10:33 AM   #6
parksung17

I had participated in face painting and I got first prize. I had used liquid latex body paint and it has no any side effect .It is the best body paint that I had ever used. It is smooth and has no odor.

liquid latex body paint

Last edited by parksung17 : 04-11-2011 at 10:39 AM.
parksung17 is offline   Reply With Quote