Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 05-04-2015, 11:45 AM   #1
Black Alice

satsuki costume mystery ?!

hey guys, i want to cosplay satsuki from kill la kill and i choose her junketsu costume.

but i dont have any idea on how to make the neck part.
i mean, how do you attach the turtle neck to her costume ?
does the dress doesnt have any collar ?

if anyone knew please tell me/draw a simple sketch on her dress below the turtle neck.
thanks in advance
Black Alice is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-04-2015, 01:34 PM   #2
StarsOfCassiopeia
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON

First off-- transformed battle Junketsu, or in the standard uniform form?

If you're going with the standard uniform, my recommendation would be to make it as a separate piece entirely, and then just attach it via the epaulets. It's sort of similar in shape to what I did here, and you could do something similar by adding a higher collar piece (using interfacing to make it stiff/stay upright around your neck) to a standard sailor fuku top pattern.

(For future reference, please post a photo of what you're trying to make so we can better help you! That way people who haven't seen the show or don't know which particular variant you're doing have a clear picture of what you have in mind).
  • Magic Armor Link 2.0 (LoZ: Twilight Princess): 5% (Armor Revamp) Summer 2015
  • Pyrrha Nikos (RWBY): 1% (Planning) Otakon 2015
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2015, 06:34 PM   #3
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

It's a lapped collar. At least, that's the term I learned, it might officially be called something different (Penlowe help?). It is an actual thing. Sometimes these type of collars require putting small darts along the neckline to curve it, and sometimes they don't. It's all in the patterning. I strongly suggest if you've never tackled a lapped collar before, do your research and find a pattern that has this feature.

You don't have to make a separate piece or anything, it's just part of the garment. I made the uniform last year and quite honestly, tailoring the sailor collar flap to match the lapped collar was probably the hardest part. I made the main body of the uniform with the lapped collar, and cut the sailor collar second so that it matched up at the neckline. It's tricky, not gonna lie about that, but it's not a mystery.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com

Last edited by CapsuleCorp : 05-04-2015 at 06:36 PM. Reason: derp
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2015, 07:34 PM   #4
guardianterra

This Pattern might solve what you need. I think you would need to modify the back but it is a better start then other patterns I have seen.

Dragon 2015;
Therru/ Tales from Earthsea
Thor Dress/ Thor Marvel Universe
guardianterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2015, 08:36 AM   #5
Penlowe

that pattern will absolutely help, but notice the difficulty is listed as 3/5 stars, so not a beginner project. I also don't like the name they gave it but it is an apt description.

In armor a piece that covers the neck is called a gorget (pronounced gore-ZJAY, it's a French term), but I don't know if it applies to a non-metal or leather pieces as well. I'll have to research that.

I think a hidden closure with a placket (which I think the pattern linked has, not entirely sure) will give you the most accurate look.
Unread 05-06-2015, 07:41 PM   #6
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

ooooohhhh. I like that pattern.

Yeah, if you used that "corset" pattern as a base, you'd modify it so that the back was squared into a sailor collar, and then change it so that the FRONT is where the closure is. I did an invisible zipper down the front, the same shade of blue as the trim so that it would sort of blend in. You'd also have to make sure that the front came down far enough.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote