Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-13-2011, 03:09 PM   #31
Barelythere

Dyeing Cowhide/fur

Hi everyone,
Have a question about fabric dye and a hair-on cowhide rug...

I bought a cowhide rug off the internet and am not happy with the "antiquing" effect they used on it. It naturally had cream/off-white colored hair but was somehow lightly dyed and now has a light pink/henna coloring--this is what they referred to as an "antiquing effect." It's not a dense dye...it looks like someone lightly dusted the surface with cinnamon and a lot of the white still shows through.

So, do you think I could use fabric paint (brush it on and into the hair) to hide their dye and return it to white or at least make it appear less pink?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Barelythere is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-15-2011, 09:58 AM   #32
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barelythere View Post
Hi everyone,

I bought a cowhide rug off the internet and am not happy with the "antiquing" effect they used on it. It naturally had cream/off-white colored hair but was somehow lightly dyed and now has a light pink/henna coloring--this is what they referred to as an "antiquing effect." It's not a dense dye...it looks like someone lightly dusted the surface with cinnamon and a lot of the white still shows through.

So, do you think I could use fabric paint (brush it on and into the hair) to hide their dye and return it to white or at least make it appear less pink?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
You might want to talk with a rug expert on this one. While in theory it could work, there are probably better solutions for something such as a cowhide rug. They're expensive items that haven't been treated to be worn like clothing. I'd imagine over time that the fabric paint would get worn down and you'd have to repaint it constantly, or may not even adhere correctly (either making the hairs stick together in clumps or soak right through). If I were you, I'd do some researching with Google or the Yellow Pages in your area to find a rug cleaning service and see what suggestions they may have.
~ CosPod - A Cosplay Podcast for Everyone
~ The Geek Spot: All Things Geek Chic. Personal Blog.
~ Flickr Photostream ~ TifaIA Cosplay on Facebook ~ DeviantArt
tifaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 10:21 AM   #33
myalchod
reflections and dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barelythere View Post
Hi everyone,

*snip*
Alternatively, try contacting Tandy Leather (or go to the store if there's one in your area). Considering they sell hides, they'd be a good bet for advice. Other leather stores would be viable, but Tandy's one I know exists in a lot of places.
Ichihara Yuuko - butterfly kimono (xxxHolic / Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle)
Elisabeth - red ballgown (Elisabeth - Takarazuka version)
Thessaly (Sandman - The Kindly Ones)
Elsewhere: Journal ~ ACP ~ CosplayLab
myalchod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 08:18 PM   #34
AleriaCarventus
Your mother's table!

Hi! I have to do a white design on top of red, probably silk (if I can afford it!) - colour references here and black and white references here.

I'm not sure if I should paint it on or use an applique sort of thing?
VCon - Daenerys Targaryen (GoT)

GottaCon - Jhoira of the Ghitu (M:tG)
TsukinoCon - Makise Kurisu (Stein's Gate)
AleriaCarventus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2011, 09:42 AM   #35
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleriaCarventus View Post
Hi! I have to do a white design on top of red, probably silk (if I can afford it!) - colour references here and black and white references here.

I'm not sure if I should paint it on or use an applique sort of thing?
Either method would work. Personally, seeing as there appears to be the only white design on the top, I think you would get a much better impact if you went with an applique or embroidery for the design. (As much as I love fabric paint, I'm a sucker for embroidery.) If there were numerous white designs on the top, then fabric paint would give you a more cohesive look. Really it's up to you and your skill level.

Last edited by tifaia : 09-21-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Unread 09-26-2011, 10:16 AM   #36
Ivyna J. Spyder

I need some advice on painting pinstripes onto fabric. :O

The fabric is wool/rayon gabardine (more rayon than wool), and I need to add sort of faint stripes like this http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/File:Spytaunt2.PNG What type/method would be the best for this?
Ivyna J. Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 08:03 AM   #37
jobbinfrank
klaatu barada nikto

I know this is an old thread but its a good one. Hi, I'm recreating the costume worn by the character Desolation Williams in the John Carpenter film Ghosts of Mars. He wheres a custom variant of red camo army pants with the color pattern of red, black, and dark red replacing the white of the commercially available one. what are the best methods would you suggest to get the white to a dark red or at least a shade of red other then pink? The pants are a 65% Poly 35% Cotton Blend twill Fabric. I'ed apresheat anyones help, keep in mind duabilaty is a factor.
jobbinfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 03:46 PM   #38
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobbinfrank View Post
I know this is an old thread but its a good one. Hi, I'm recreating the costume worn by the character Desolation Williams in the John Carpenter film Ghosts of Mars. He wheres a custom variant of red camo army pants with the color pattern of red, black, and dark red replacing the white of the commercially available one. what are the best methods would you suggest to get the white to a dark red or at least a shade of red other then pink? The pants are a 65% Poly 35% Cotton Blend twill Fabric. I'ed apresheat anyones help, keep in mind duabilaty is a factor.
Would you be able to link an image please? There are quite a few online and lots of fan-made work so it's difficult to narrow down what outfit you're referring too.

Also, what is the current state of the pants (i.e. finished or were they purchased)? What colors are they currently? Are you needing to dye/paint all of the pant or just paint a few areas? From the way your post reads, it sounds like you're just wanting to paint on red, correct? In which case, what colors are you trying to cover with red and black?

Based on the blend of the material, Jacquard or Dylon will work just fine. They are very durable paints. I have a costume that's just over 3 years old and no chipping, flaking, or fading issues. The paint looks like it's a part of the original design. I have yet to do any touch-up jobs using these paints.

Something to keep in mind, the higher end fabric paints will look just like normal, everyday paint. i.e. They come in tubes or bottles and don't have a squeeze top like Tulip paints. You'd brush them onto the fabric as if you were brushing acrylic onto a canvas. They don't sit on top like Tulip paints, but fuse with the fabric to create a stronger bond.

Hopefully that helps out a little, but if you can link an image and give more details about the pants, we can provide more feedback. ^^
Unread 11-24-2011, 10:24 AM   #39
jobbinfrank
klaatu barada nikto

Thanks for the help, I discovered that they released the pants from the film as a promo its rare so its not cheap but it would cast me the same to make from scratch. I have referred you to some of my DYI friends, good thread.
jobbinfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2011, 12:56 PM   #40
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

Another use for fabric paint! I used it on some rings for my Eridan cosplay (The big one that you see in that photo was purple originally but the others were painted) to paint the gems purple and it looked really good. The only problem that I had was that it started to rub off after a while but I think that's just because I didn't give it enough time to dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivyna J. Spyder View Post
I need some advice on painting pinstripes onto fabric. :O

The fabric is wool/rayon gabardine (more rayon than wool), and I need to add sort of faint stripes like this http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/File:Spytaunt2.PNG What type/method would be the best for this?
I'd recommend possibly something simular to what I did to make my Eridan jeans which means just putting masking tape onto the parts you don't want painted and then using some spray fabric paint.
You could spray it on lightly and spread it out so that it's faint.

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Future Cosplays (not working on yet):
Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi
ToroSonyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 10:27 AM   #41
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroSonyCat View Post
Another use for fabric paint! I used it on some rings for my Eridan cosplay (The big one that you see in that photo was purple originally but the others were painted) to paint the gems purple and it looked really good. The only problem that I had was that it started to rub off after a while but I think that's just because I didn't give it enough time to dry.
lol. I've used fabric paint in unconventional ways before.

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2827588/

The lighter purple highlights and the text on the gun along with the silver emblem on the handles were done with Tulip fabric paint. I needed to write in paint. I didn't have the right paintbrush to accomplish this. Regular acrylics didn't have a squeeze version available nor could I fashion a squeeze bottle out of stuff I had at home. The Tulip paints were already in my stockpile from a previous project. They were the right colors and ready for use. They've been holding up very nicely. No chips or flaking. But in case of any issues, I have enough left for touchups. lol
Unread 11-30-2011, 08:25 AM   #42
avsioss

Has anybody here had any experience diluting fabric paints to get different effects?Something I read online indicated that diluting would make it behave more like watercolor and soak into the fabric, which is what I'm going for. Is this true, or would it still make a layer of paint on top of the fabric?

(If it matters, I'm specifically looking to water down some black paint and apply it to denim to make a pair of jeans look grody.)
avsioss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 03:06 PM   #43
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsioss View Post
Has anybody here had any experience diluting fabric paints to get different effects?Something I read online indicated that diluting would make it behave more like watercolor and soak into the fabric, which is what I'm going for. Is this true, or would it still make a layer of paint on top of the fabric?

(If it matters, I'm specifically looking to water down some black paint and apply it to denim to make a pair of jeans look grody.)

I have. I wish I could post a photo but the lighting with and without flash wouldn't show the finished product well.

http://images.wikia.com/finalfantasy...ssidiaAlts.png The cape on the right I diluted fabric paint and did a dip/dye so it was more of a watercolor, whimsy look.

Most of the paints listed at the beginning of the thread are designed to seep and cling to the fabric fibers, which is why they work so well. Only the Tulip type paints will sit on top.

But in short, yes you can dilute the paint with water. Make sure to stir/mix very, very well. Even though it's fabric paint, it can clump and get lumpy at the bottom of your mixing bowl and then you'll be left with weird blotches on your fabric. Sometimes I'll take the corner or a paper towel or napkin and rub it along the bottom of the bowl to pick up any remaining clumps that didn't mix.

Always try a small mixture first along with a swatch to see if you like the effect before going full scale. With jeans it may require more of a 1 to 1 mixture of paint and water to ensure it settles correctly.

Aside: Anyone else is free to post and help out. XD I don't want to hog it all. I know that I don't know everything. lol
Unread 02-20-2012, 09:48 PM   #44
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

Yippie! I am finally able to edit the first post.

I want to thank everyone for their input. I will keep updating this thread as often as I can.
Unread 02-21-2012, 07:43 AM   #45
Nefertieh
:B

I've been trying to paint a black pattern on some fabric recently and I noticed that I get "shiny" spots. It appears these shiny spots only appear in areas where I've used a brush, so there is more paint than the areas that I've painted with a sponge. I've already ironed it but it is still shiny. :c

The other thing I've been having problems is removing fabric paint from areas of the fabric. It won't completely wash out. The brand I'm using is Pebeo, by the way.
Nefertieh is offline   Reply With Quote