Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #46
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefertieh View Post
I've been trying to paint a black pattern on some fabric recently and I noticed that I get "shiny" spots. It appears these shiny spots only appear in areas where I've used a brush, so there is more paint than the areas that I've painted with a sponge. I've already ironed it but it is still shiny. :c

The other thing I've been having problems is removing fabric paint from areas of the fabric. It won't completely wash out. The brand I'm using is Pebeo, by the way.
Buried thread. >< This probably won't help you now, but I'll answer for anyone else that may read it and has the same issue.

It sounds like you overdid the paint when you used the brush vs the sponge. That can happen. Like painting on a canvas, always go in layers. Start small and if you think you need more, work your way up.

Knowing that you are using Pebeo, that one is a tricky brand to remove once it's set. It also has a tendency to do the shinyshiny vs other fabric paints, which is why it's not something I typically recommend. Though it is great for mixing to get the color you want, it's pretty permanent. Even says so on their website. lol

If you're not able to remove with acetone based products, such as nail-polish, try the flash-freeze method. Throw the fabric into the freezer for about an hour and start chipping away at it with a butter knife. Otherwise, you're stuck with it. If the damage is not too bad or it's a small enough area, you can paint over it with a coat of white (2-3 layers) and then repaint it to match the original fabric color.
~ CosPod - A Cosplay Podcast for Everyone
~ The Geek Spot: All Things Geek Chic. Personal Blog.
~ Flickr Photostream ~ TifaIA Cosplay on Facebook ~ DeviantArt
tifaia is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #47
Animegirl13

Hey, just wondering if you think I'd be able to use fabric paint to paint on the pink stripes on this top?

~Temari- Chunin Exam Arc (Naruto)
~Megurine Luka (Magnet)- Vocaloid)
~Megurine Luka (Just Be Friends)- Vocaloid)
~Temari (Sasuke Retrieval Arc)- Naruto)
~Shirley Fenette- Code Geass
~Izumo Kamiki- Ao No Exorcist
~Megurine Luka (Matryoshka)- Vocaloid
~Princess Tutu- Princess Tutu

In-Progress

~Sayaka Miki (Magical Girl Version)- Puella Magi Madoka Magica

deviantART
Animegirl13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2012, 06:14 PM   #48
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

You can paint a stripe if you mask out the edges of the stripe to get a crisp line. However that top looks like a sweater vest, which isn't really paintable.

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

www.costumecon32.com

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #49
Amanita

I'll need to take pictures, but I got some really nice results using Pabeo fabric paint- I used it on a jacket and waistcape that I've worn with pride for the past few years- it's gone to NYC and San Francisco with me

I also used it to work out a test version of a design I intend to paint on the robes for another costume I'm working on. I primarily used the metallic colors, but blended copper with a little plain brown for a little extra contrast in the shaded areas. I'm really pleased with how it turned out, I can't wait to see how it looks on silk. (I did the test on a piece of cotton)
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 11:45 PM   #50
alucard13mmfmj

Bought 2 types of fabric paint to make my Zig Zag lines for my Reimu Hakurei costume. I tried Simply Spray and Tulip Spray.

Simply Spray was horrible >.>. It was not really a spray. It was more like a stream of paint it had bubbles and seemed to splattered everywhere.

Tulip spray was a bit better. More control and it was a fine mist. Wish I could resuse my stencils lol. I was using manilla folders. After 1 use, they are pretty much warped.

I'll probably try Jacqaurd or the others you suggested.

Thanks Original Poster
alucard13mmfmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 07:30 AM   #51
Penlowe

I had the same bad experience with Simply Spray, luckily it wasn't anything critical I was working on. I did like my results with freezer paper stencils.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 09:55 PM   #52
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
I'll need to take pictures, but I got some really nice results using Pabeo fabric paint- I used it on a jacket and waistcape that I've worn with pride for the past few years- it's gone to NYC and San Francisco with me
I don't mind Pabeo at all. It just has a tendency to be super permanent that if you make a mistake, good luck getting it off. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard13mmfmj View Post
Bought 2 types of fabric paint to make my Zig Zag lines for my Reimu Hakurei costume. I tried Simply Spray and Tulip Spray.

Simply Spray was horrible >.>. It was not really a spray. It was more like a stream of paint it had bubbles and seemed to splattered everywhere.

Tulip spray was a bit better. More control and it was a fine mist. Wish I could resuse my stencils lol. I was using manilla folders. After 1 use, they are pretty much warped.

I'll probably try Jacqaurd or the others you suggested.

Thanks Original Poster
Simply Spray is definitely one of those hit or miss products that was meant to make t-shirt painting easy. I've used manilla folders as a stencil before when I ran out of my other material. Hopefully your next attempt will work out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
I had the same bad experience with Simply Spray, luckily it wasn't anything critical I was working on. I did like my results with freezer paper stencils.
Freezer paper is so awesome. lol I love it now from the small to big stencil projects.
Unread 08-22-2012, 12:49 AM   #53
thissparrowbite

Sorry for bumping up this very old thread, but this seems like the most appropriate place to ask a question (or two) about painting.

So I'm finally at that point where i have to paint, and I have a few questions.

a) I'm thinking of free hand-painting the dress, but I'd like a guide as to where I should put the paint. Is making it in chalk/pencil a huge no-no? Because there's nowhere I've found where it was ever recommended in lieu of stenciling or using tape. I was just wondering if I'm about to commit a huge faux-pas and possibly have half my paint drop or flake out...

b) I also tested some paint on a swatch. The paint I'm using is Tulip Soft Matte, which is what someone recommended to me (Jacquard I know is the best, but the nearest store to me is half hour away, so this was the most economical option that was sort of a midway between cost and effectiveness). The paint came out slightly rough and stiff. Is this normal, or do I have to go wash my fabric a second time?

I'd also like to say that this thread so far was really helpful to me, so thanks for all the help so far!
thissparrowbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #54
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

Glad that this thread has been helpful!

a) You'll want to avoid pencils, tailors chalk and all that. It can potentially interrupt the bond between the paint at the fabric. You'll have to come up with a stencil in some form or another, whether you buy one at a store, use freezer paper, or paint it in a color that's a little bit lighter then the base fabric (so you see where you're painting!) You can also use painter's tape if you're making lines.

b) It depends on your fabric and how much paint you've used. The tulip paints are best on cottons, but can be used on other fabrics. If you feel it's too stiff, try using less paint and build up the layers from there.
Unread 08-25-2012, 03:07 AM   #55
thissparrowbite

@tifaia Thanks for the advice! And thanks for the answer about marking - luckily I hadn't started anything yet with the paint (somehow, I still manage to be the ultimate procrastinator even days before I'm supposed to finish -__-). I'll try the thing with the cotton too - it actually probably is because when Iwas testing i was using the crappy brushes in the kids' watercolors kit (luckily, my dad somehow manages to procure things of all crafts, so I do have a good set of paintbrushes which I will use for the actual dress).

Making stencils is actually not too bad either.... Thought it would be harder, but it actually is pretty easy.

Thanks again!
thissparrowbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2012, 07:33 AM   #56
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON

Quote:
Originally Posted by thissparrowbite View Post
Making stencils is actually not too bad either.... Thought it would be harder, but it actually is pretty easy.
I've made stencils out of cardstock before that worked really well, definitely recommend that! It's also really convenient, since you can print any complex patterns you want on it and then just cut it out.
  • Magic Armor Link (LoZ: Twilight Princess): 15% (Patterning) Katsucon 2015
  • Emperor Lelouch (Code Geass): 2% (Planning) Katsucon 2015
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsCASSiOPEiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2012, 08:29 AM   #57
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsCASSiOPEiA View Post
I've made stencils out of cardstock before that worked really well, definitely recommend that! It's also really convenient, since you can print any complex patterns you want on it and then just cut it out.
Card stock is awesome for this. I've also use manilla folders if I didn't have anything else available around the home.
Unread 10-08-2012, 11:23 PM   #58
heaven_firings

So I may have just derped. I painted some shoes black today, okay no problem, but then I remembered I'm using Jacquard paints which need to be heat set. So my question(s), is there any negative effect of not heat setting it after it's dry? Or if I used a scrap of say cotton over the shoe and ironed that (carefully) would that be sufficient?

It took forever to find these shoes in a size that would fit me and I'd rather avoid having to find another pair before thursday }:/
heaven_firings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 06:49 AM   #59
Penlowe

Use a blow dryer to heat the shoes

While I agree chalk can interrupt the bonding of paint & fabric, I disagree that the only way to paint fabrics is with stencils. You can draw your lines with chalk, then free hand paint beside them if you are comfortable with free hand painting.
Unread 10-09-2012, 06:39 PM   #60
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
Use a blow dryer to heat the shoes

While I agree chalk can interrupt the bonding of paint & fabric, I disagree that the only way to paint fabrics is with stencils. You can draw your lines with chalk, then free hand paint beside them if you are comfortable with free hand painting.

I don't believe stencils are the only method. Freehand is perfectly fine if you feel comfortable with it. But from experience teaching first-timers, they freak out at the idea of not having something to paint in-between the lines. Chalk is fine, but we're all messy painters. Even the best of us. We're probably going to unintentionally paint on the line. lol

But I second the blow-dryer idea on the shoes.