Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 04-15-2011, 12:39 PM   #16
JewishCosplayer

Thank you to everyone who has posted so far, it's very interesting.

I once dated this guy who thought that cosplayers were freaks of nature. He never knew that I cosplayed because we only dated for about a week. Anyway, a few days ago I found out that he likes to attend Medieval Fairs and dress up. I was shocked. Seriously I was pissed. He has the nerve to call all cosplayers freaks of nature who need to grow up and get lives, when he attends Medieval Fairs and dresses up for them.

All my other Ex's were understanding of my cosplaying, so for that I was thankful. Hopefully I can find someone who I can date and cosplay with at the same time soon.

SacAnime Winter 2012 Cosplays:
Belarus (Hetalia)
America (Hetalia)
Matryoshka! Belarus, possibly, (Hetalia)

Hope you make some new friends~
JewishCosplayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-15-2011, 12:54 PM   #17
Akiyhrah
She-Geek extraordinaire

It would be great to have a partner that was into cosplay as much as I am.. hell I'd even say it's ideal for me.
However, all I really ask for is acceptance and support. If I end up with someone who doesn't like to cosplay, that's fine as long as they don't put me down for it, or try to stop me. Cosplaying and conventions are a HUGE part of my life and if my partner can't accept that, then they don't fully accept me. I'm certainly not going to remain in a relationship if my partner doesn't accept or respect me and my interests; in the end I'd just end up bitter and resentful, so it's not worth it.
Unread 04-15-2011, 12:54 PM   #18
Eau de Decus
Her Second Self

I don't mind it considering my girlfriend doesn't cosplay or attend conventions, nor does she really have an interest in doing it. She supports me regardless and that's all I ask.
Eau de Decus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 01:01 PM   #19
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

I haven't dated a cosplayer in about 6 years now, and my life is better for it. Haha. Dating a cosplayer, especially a more local one, is pretty awful after the break-up since you then get to awkwardly run into each other at later cons. Or the worst, where after my ex and I broke up he did a costume pair we were planning with his new girl! And, of course, the photoshoots are plastered everywhere you look, etc. It's ridiculous. Felt like dating from the same high school and seeing their yearbook prom photo or something, with her wearing the dress I was going to get. Hahaha.

My boyfriend and I have been together for 2 years, live together, and have never cosplayed together. Haha. I haven't been AS active in cosplay as I once was during our relationship so far, but he supports me just the same. He's shown up at some local cons to hang out, watch my performances, and stuff like that. But cosplay has become a hobby where you can be so scrutinized that I'm glad that my relationship is out of "the scene" and a bit more private.

We've played with the idea of putting him in a costume and he's not opposed to it, but even then I doubt he'd spend the weekend with me at a con. I kinda prefer it that way. He has his other hobbies I don't share, and I have mine! Though we have plenty of stuff we do together, too. Balance is made of yay.

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: TBD
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 01:22 PM   #20
TR Rose
Meowing About

I don't know how I'd answer this. My husband and I discovered cosplay together. Sometimes we do sets that match, sometimes not. We don't like all of the same series and have realized that it's not as much fun to cosplay a character you don't particularly like.

If he wasn't into cosplay, that would be ok - as long as he didn't give me too much crap about enjoying the hobby. While it is nice to have someone to cosplay and go to conventions with, I have friends who I can cosplay with and attend conventions with. Some of my favorite "pairs" costumes don't involve him at all. :3
• 10th Doctor
TR Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 01:48 PM   #21
Sira
Sacred of Light

My most recent ex actually completely hated anime and all things dealing with it. ^^'' But luckily we had alot more in common than just anime so we were really happy. Now when it came time for cons I was kinda worried about how'd he'd act, but he was actually very sensible. He said that it didn't matter if he didn't like it, I should keep doing what made me happy. So that was really nice. It may not have worked out with him completely ( I ended up breaking it off when I got really depressed from family stuff) but we're still amazingly awesome friends....and..... Now he comes to cons with me XD And cosplays!!!! Once he found out that there were Fallout, Halo, Gears of War, Dead Space, etc cosplayers he went crazy! XD Alot of the time.... The couples who are against cosplaying don't realize that its more than just anime.... its also some of their favorite games.
Sira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 05:01 PM   #22
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
Maybe we're both horrible horrible people?
I think so.

I'm okay with that though. How about you?

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 05:13 PM   #23
Psycho_Kitty
It flies, it dies

I actually got my husband into cosplaying. He is actually doing his first one this year and so far his armor he's making looks good. But he's not really into yet. He doesn't see how I can finish my 3 costumes in 3 months but i told him thats the beauty of having that time of pressure and stress i can get the work done and be focused
SDCC '14
Currently working on:
Season 1 Jon Snow
Upcoming:
Original Character- Assassin
Sniper ODST

Psycho_Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 05:24 PM   #24
Chaletica
[laughs]

Well, as long as they could respect it and don't give me lots of crap about it, it would be fine.
Unread 04-15-2011, 05:34 PM   #25
Emiko87

I'd do my level best to convert them. In three years I got my brothers to go from "you're dressing as an anime character? LOLstupid" to "I want a cosplay of this character so I can go to the con with you" One of them even said he wants to crossplay, for his FIRST cosplay, all of his own volition. I am so proud of him
But anyway, I bet I totally could convert a bf xD
Unread 04-15-2011, 05:35 PM   #26
zizi994
Kaede

That...would never happen. XD

I mean, honestly. There is no way I could date someone that was into anime. I know that's really, REALLY limiting my options (trust me I know) but seeing how much me and my boyfriend talk about anime and all we do is pretty much watch anime and do generally nerdy stuff, I can't see myself with someone that wasn't as obsessed with anime as I was. That being said, I know there are some anime fans that I don't enjoy cosplay, but that type of personality that goes along with that would not be appealing to me.

Upcoming Costumes:
None, for now

Upcoming Conventions:
San Japan Samurai 7 : San Antonio, TX
Delta H Con : Houston, TX
zizi994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 05:42 PM   #27
ARIADecember

Respect my hobbies, then I'll respect yours
ARIADecember is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 07:14 PM   #28
Ragtime Mouth
Can + Bakery + ??= Profit

Honestly, I don't think my relationships would last if the other weren't somewhat into the same crafts as I am. It's a godsend my husband is so in tune with everything I do, vice versa. He wasn't into cosplay for himself be appreciated it, and when he met me is very open to it all. It helps that we love the same games and appreciate the few anime we do enjoy in the same way. My first boyfriend was open to it, but we broke up for other reasons, so it's not the foundation of our relationship. And my second was open, but was just into Star Wars types things.. which I like, I grew up with, heck there is a giant toy millium falcon we won from a toysrus hanging in our living room, but I just wasn't big into like him.. and he liked the newer ones, which.. honestly I can't stand, but that wasn't any reason for our break up. He was just a blow hard, self righteous jerk.

I'm so happy with my relationship with my husband, and so lucky to have him. I'm constructing a costume for him from a game I love that he hasn't even gotten to play yet, and he's just happy and fine with it. I think cosplay can be a great bonding effort, but not the thing that keeps people together, just as long as you respect what make each other happy.
Ragtime Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 09:26 PM   #29
FunnyValentine
See You Space Cowboy

My boyfriend doesn't really like it. He just goes to conventions with me to make me happy, plus I like to go to conventions with him. He helps me with cosplays and likes how I look in them so I think that's pretty awesome. It would be cool if he wanted to cosplay more characters so we can cosplay a bunch of couples, oh well. I appreciate that he wears a Yusuke cosplay I put together for him.

Ending a relationship or not trying to start a relationship because they aren't into cosplay isn't such a wise decision. Just my opinion.

Facebook Cosplay Page
DeviantArt
FunnyValentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 09:45 PM   #30
BraveKnight

Both of my last girlfriends cosplayed and I didn't cosplay =( BUT I thought it was awesome that they did. I'm finally feeling comfortable enough in my own skin to don my "cowl" so to speak but I have yet to go through the partner that doesn't like cosplaying phase. =P

I don't think I could get along with someone who couldn't at least appreciate cosplay though. Yeah I think I'd need a girlfriend that was AT LEAST 75% as nerdy as me =P or I'd probably bore them to tears with my nerd arguments: "No... no... a stake through the heart puts them into torpor it doesn't kill them. No... no stop! Put twilight down! I don't care that your vampires aren't crispy critters in daylight *listens to fan girl moment for a few minutes* It doesn't matter Jacob was... *listens to pointless argument about why vampires are cooler then werewolves* Well you know what? I'd just equip Save the Queen and dangle a shiny necklace in front of you and say: I got us something from the store yesterday... I hope you like it"

After saying that line if we began making out in front of fireworks I'd be ok with that. But I mean... obviously fantasy's like that don't happen. I'm also probably going to have to go hide in a cave of shame for a couple hours after this post ><

>.>

Oh well I think it's funny =P
BraveKnight is offline   Reply With Quote