Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 04-15-2011, 10:02 PM   #31
Sakura Blizzard
Hoshi Hikaru

I'd say it depends. I can never seem to keep a guy that long though I know it'f because I'm not fun apparently.
But I would love that my guy knowledge it's something I enjoy and respect it. I've had to many people that dissed me to that any more. I get emotional pretty quick.
I kind of make it clear to my friends and people around me know that I'm into cosplay so should not be a huge shock. then again I have otaku friends.
I can except it he doesn't like it to much for what I might wear but then again I don't think I'd like to torture him with that kind of thing. He should at least acknowledge that I enjoy it.
Sakura Blizzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-15-2011, 10:28 PM   #32
Volnixshin
Tesla Powered

I don't. Cosplaying is a HUGE part of my life. It's a helluva lot easier if they do it too. So I only date cosplayers.

Czech jvorxelf, bephor yue rek jvorxelf
Volnixshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 11:04 PM   #33
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

I married somebody who doesn't like cosplaying. We're both completely fine with having interests the other doesn't share, which I think is awfully important. He listens to me natter on about it sometimes, and obligingly tells me I look cool in the outfit and snaps photos to the best of his ability. I oblige his pet manias in return and everyone is happy. <3
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)

Last edited by Mangochutney : 04-15-2011 at 11:06 PM.
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 11:13 PM   #34
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I love cosplaying wayyyyy too much to be with someone who won't/doesn't like cosplaying. I was lucky; my boyfriend/fiancee I managed to turn onto cosplaying. He's certainly not as nuts as me, but there's no arguing needed if I want him to dress up for a con.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2011, 02:02 AM   #35
Akemi Idane
Sew like a cosplayer.

My ex-boyfriend I actually broke up with just on the cusp of an 11th Doctor Who cosplay...the jacket shell is still sitting in my room.
...I ought to finish and wear it someday. It fits me.

ANYWAYS. We broke up for other reasons (basically, it didn't feel like a relationship anymore and just friends with a title) and so now I have a girlfriend.
And she loves cosplaying to death.
Honestly, it was liberating for me to date someone that right from the get-go was like "OHMYGOD THIS SOUNDS AMAZING DRESS ME UP NOW" and was actually willing to learn the sewing bits and whatever else of it. She actually dealt with a very immobilizing costume for her first (Slenderman! <3) and it was LOVELY. Defining moment of that weekend was when she looked at video footage of herself and said "Ohmygod, is that how I looked? I looked amazing!" Made me glow because I helped her make that and she was so phobic of cosplaying before because she didn't want to look bad doing it.

...I'm trying to get her to cosplay Uranus and Neptune with me because I've had a serious desire to pull the blue-haired lady off for a while and she just so happens to be six feet tall and blonde. Not that I'd make her cut her hair or anything, but it means she looks good with blonde hair, something I do not look good with.

Also, I have this tendency to flirt like I'm actually legal at cons with all the cosplayers. I don't usually idolize real people - I idolize fictional characters. So at a convention my head gets all confused and goes "OHMYGOD WESKER IS REAL QUICK GO HIT ON HIM".
Obviously I don't actually -do- anything since I am a) underage and b) taken, but I'd be much more likely to find that sort of a relationship at a convention in the first place. I'm just wired to fall in love with fellow nerds. 8D

Planned Cosplays:
Kumoricon 2011
Eridan Ampora - Homestuck - 0%
Neuro - Majin Tantei Nogami Neuro - 0%
Gumi - Matroyshka - 0%
Akemi Idane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2011, 09:10 PM   #36
Axelai
I'm Awesome

I met my girlfriend through this website.

Hell yeah.

Though, Its not a SUPER huge thing for me. I mean, as long as they understand its something I do, and they'd let me dress them up sometimes, I'm good P:

~Cure deviantART Tumblr Fan Page~

Vote for me at the Otaku House costume contest!!
Axelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2011, 09:34 PM   #37
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireKitty View Post
I think so.

I'm okay with that though. How about you?
That depends.

Are we suppose to obsessively call our significant others, actively destroy their social group and fiercely attack any female within a 5 mile radius of them at all times?

Dating Advice
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2011, 09:53 PM   #38
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
That depends.

Are we suppose to obsessively call our significant others, actively destroy their social group and fiercely attack any female within a 5 mile radius of them at all times?

Dating Advice

I'm too lazy to do that.

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2011, 10:39 PM   #39
Hitsutai
A Hoot!

As long as the guy accepts the fact that I like to cosplay and he's fine with it, sure!

Friday: Hiroto Kiyama
Saturday: Yuki Judai, Hinata Shouyou/Hiroto Kiyama
Sunday: Hinata Shouyou
Hitsutai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2011, 12:12 AM   #40
ARIADecember

i guess some other problems might come out of it if your girl/boy/it friend doesn't like you cosplaying.

When your at a con, you get attention, they might not like you hugging or so, another guy/girl/it....(crossplayers thats gender is unknown)

They could be the types that just can't get over the fact there girl/guy/it (you never know) is out at a convention hugging and getting close to other people that they don't know.

This however is just another way of looking at "dating someone who doesn't like you cosplaying."
ARIADecember is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2011, 01:17 AM   #41
Zukitata
LastSouthDakotaCosplayer?

i haven't started dating yet, but i can still give my two cents(or was it one?)

it kinda depends if you mean 'doesn't like cosplay' as in 'i hate that you dress up like that dumb character' or if you mean 'i'm not interested, but it doesn't bother me that you dress up'. i think i'd prefer someone who was interested in cosplaying too, but someone who is indifferent about it would be fine. as long as they don't hate it with a passion, it'd be okay
Unread 04-17-2011, 11:08 PM   #42
F.K.A.Freya
Rave or Die

I was dating a guy for three years and even managed to get him to cosplay with me a couple times but the key word here is 'managed'. He never openly volunteered to cosplay with me and almost always had to mention how 'immature' I was for doing it. That relationship ended and he said it was for other reasons (he never actually told me why he dumped me) but I always got the feeling it was because he thought anime and cosplay was immature or childish.

Long story short. I won't be dating anyone who tells me that cosplay is childish or hates on my D&D group. He doesn't have to cosplay but he has to respect that I love it and not try to change me because of it.

I'm interested in (mainly) male friends in the South Carolina area. I'm cool with girls too. PM if you wanna talk.
F.K.A.Freya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2011, 01:53 PM   #43
Lulexiaa
BE THE LEAF

I guess I wouldnt really mind.. as long as he accepts my interests
Unread 04-19-2011, 01:44 AM   #44
Lilyela
Assassin

Doesn't really matter to me, to be honest, although I love cosplay. My current girlfriend is also a cosplayer, so I guess I'm lucky. None of my ex boyfriends liked cosplay, which I was quite fine with then.
Lilyela is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2011, 04:18 AM   #45
RinoaShadow
An utter Parasmore ;p

While I consider myself far to young to date right now (only 14.), i can imagine that since Cosplay is pretty big of a thing in my life it'd kinda matter to me whether the person i dated had negative opinions on cosplay or not.

I would not care if they didnt cosplay or if they didnt care for it, but if they were only ever negative about it or just didnt accept it as a hobby or interest of mine, i'd ditch them right there.
They don't need to love it, but a slight apprecition/not bagging it would be... sorta nice.