Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Unread 04-19-2011, 12:03 PM   #46
acostory
Draw!
 
acostory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 495
I wouldn't care if the person I dated wasn't a cosplayer. They'd eventually become one. That's the kind of effect I have on people. ;D

Video games are something completely different, however. I'd have to date a gamer, just because gamers think differently from other people. Their minds are different.... it's hard to explain, but that's kind of what I look for. Someone who has a higher level of thinking. Gamers have that.
acostory is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 04-19-2011, 12:49 PM   #47
UndercoverKitty
Kitty Claw attack!!
 
UndercoverKitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 235
It's funny because I've never really dated anyone who wasn't a gamer or a cosplayer. I think I might be okay with it. As long as he gives it a chance and doesn't try to stop me from doing it, it would be fine I think. I'd prefer they be into it like I am, although currently as that is the case the majority of my cosplay that I do now is pairings unless I'm doing a cosplay with my BFFs. Which isn't to say a bad thing but there are just some things he wants me to do, and I'm not exactly excited about it...
__________________
Planned New Cosplay for near future (in order of listed):
Monica (Dark Cloud 2) 5% done
Eclair (Dog Days) 0% done
Nai (Karneval) 0% done
UndercoverKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2011, 12:50 PM   #48
cupofjasmine
felidaepounce
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by acostory View Post
Video games are something completely different, however. I'd have to date a gamer, just because gamers think differently from other people. Their minds are different.... it's hard to explain, but that's kind of what I look for. Someone who has a higher level of thinking. Gamers have that.
This.
I think it'd be easier if they did cosplay. We would both have something to look forward to. I think if I was dating someone who didn't cosplay, they would be uncomfortable at the fact that I would be getting attention from others by having my picture taken, possibly getting hugs, and talking to people and not giving him attention.
cupofjasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2011, 07:49 PM   #49
DireKitty
Captain Kittens
 
DireKitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by acostory View Post
I wouldn't care if the person I dated wasn't a cosplayer. They'd eventually become one. That's the kind of effect I have on people. ;D

Video games are something completely different, however. I'd have to date a gamer, just because gamers think differently from other people. Their minds are different.... it's hard to explain, but that's kind of what I look for. Someone who has a higher level of thinking. Gamers have that.
*roffles on ground*

You obviously have never worked at EBGames/Gamestop, or a store like them.
__________________
Anime North Cosplay Photoshoots Staff
Kayle - League of Legends
Official Anime North Forums

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2011, 08:20 PM   #50
acostory
Draw!
 
acostory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireKitty View Post
*roffles on ground*

You obviously have never worked at EBGames/Gamestop, or a store like them.
... point taken.
acostory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2011, 09:45 PM   #51
BraveKnight
Registered User
 
BraveKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 945
lol I used to work for EB and Gamestop and would like to point out that your joke is only accurate 25% of the time =P

Granted it's usually someone in management... although I was fortunate to work for the cool store.
BraveKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2011, 12:45 AM   #52
Uerria
Costumer
 
Uerria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 227
><; My boyfriend, at first he didn't like the idea of "dressing up and acting like a character". It just didn't "float his boat". I was kind of saddened, especially since I wanted him to join me and we could have awesome cosplaying adventures together~~ </shot>

XD; But eventually, he stayed with me during my costume making sessions for a few days, and realized how much I really loved it and basically accepted it. He's interested in getting into it now. I was a happy duckling. :B
__________________
Upcoming Cosplays

Katsucon 2014

Catherine - Catherine
Robin - Teen Titans
Officer Caitlyn - League of Legends
Sven - Frozen
Uerria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 10:00 AM   #53
NatsuRei
Registered User
 
NatsuRei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uerria View Post
><; My boyfriend, at first he didn't like the idea of "dressing up and acting like a character". It just didn't "float his boat". I was kind of saddened, especially since I wanted him to join me and we could have awesome cosplaying adventures together~~ </shot>

XD; But eventually, he stayed with me during my costume making sessions for a few days, and realized how much I really loved it and basically accepted it. He's interested in getting into it now. I was a happy duckling. :B
Cool, that's nice. Ironically, my ex-girlfriend who was a cosplayer, and I broke up for personal reasons (retaining friendship involving coitus), but I met this new girl in a con who's not into cosplay, but was just dragged by her cosplay-loving girlfriends, and now we're dating. Pretty weird stuff.

I guess support really plays a major role on the equation. I'm a little bit dissapointed, but still happy about this newfound relationship paradigm, but if I could usher her into cosplaying, that'll be nice. I'm starting to get into her hobbies as well, which are very sporty... hurr.
Nontheless, I'm supportive of her interests, she's supportive of my interests, it's a very warm feeling. Hazukashiiiiiiii~
NatsuRei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 10:23 AM   #54
dagmarus
Gondor Enthusiast
 
dagmarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,287
It would depend on if they A. judge me harshly for it or B. try to make me stop. Neither would go over well. I couldn't date someone who wanted me to stop doing something I love. I've never been one to go for the kind of woman who wants to "change" or "fix" the man their with. Either you love me for what I am or you don't. I neither want nor need to be changed.
dagmarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 10:30 AM   #55
NatsuRei
Registered User
 
NatsuRei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmarus View Post
It would depend on if they A. judge me harshly for it or B. try to make me stop. Neither would go over well. I couldn't date someone who wanted me to stop doing something I love. I've never been one to go for the kind of woman who wants to "change" or "fix" the man their with. Either you love me for what I am or you don't. I neither want nor need to be changed.
That's why I normally go after girls who cosplay. There are a lot of perks to that, somewhat.
NatsuRei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #56
DireKitty
Captain Kittens
 
DireKitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveKnight View Post
lol I used to work for EB and Gamestop and would like to point out that your joke is only accurate 25% of the time =P

Granted it's usually someone in management... although I was fortunate to work for the cool store.
I meant the customers.

"HERP DERP I LIKE COD CUZ I CAN PWN NOOBZ"
"HERP DERP.... I LIKE BAYONETTA CUZ SHE'Z LIKE... HOT."
"Wut's Final Fantasy? Is that like.... some chick game?"
"Girls don't play games, well, if they do, they are like... fat and stuff...."
"Do you guys like... sell used games?" *while staring at large wall of used games with giant sign saying USED GAMES and smaller signs along the wall saying USED GAMES* This one happened a lot.

... lotta dumb people out there. Gamers are no exception.
__________________
Anime North Cosplay Photoshoots Staff
Kayle - League of Legends
Official Anime North Forums

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2011, 10:16 AM   #57
JiseiHakushaku
Don't be such a Nord.
 
JiseiHakushaku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,185
As long as they aren't being judgmental, close-minded, rude, or giving me flack, I guess it's fine. I dunno, I have enough trouble explaining the demented looking wig heads and weird looking clothes to my small amount of friends who don't cosplay, I'm not sure how fun it'd be to explain to a boyfriend/girlfriend. I'd really prefer it, because I've always wanted to go to a con in couple cosplay, but if they don't it's really fine, I guess. :3
__________________
Resident Mustache Warper
Tumblr


•Progress:
Vriska Serket - God Tier [Homestuck] 50%
Vriska Serket - Assassin!Tier [Homestuck] 25%
Raimei Shimizu [Nabari no Ou] 15% [Hiatus]
Calliope [Homestuck] 15%
Claudia Auditore - Assassin [Assassin's Creed] 0%

I dream of getting rid of that icon someday. Prayer circle for me.
JiseiHakushaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 05:33 PM   #58
AndNowYourDead
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 18
I am going out with someone who doesn't like cosplaying. But, I don't like his friends so he can deal with it..
__________________
She's on fire but her embers burn her bridges.
And she knows that she can’t walk on water.
Yet she tries.
For what is worse than to ask your friends for help.
And so she sinks to the bottom of the sea.


DeviantArt: AndNowYourDead
LiveJournal: EmoUke69
Fanficion.net: emoyaoi69
Youtube: emoyaoi69

Finished:
Shindou Shuichi (Gravitation)
Inuzuka Kiba (Naruto
____________________
In progress:
Temari (Naruto)
AndNowYourDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 05:35 PM   #59
Oniigiri_Basket
Fangirl Extraordinaire
 
Oniigiri_Basket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,364
I wouldn't care. As long as he would accept my hobbies, I would be fine. He wouldn't have to like the things I like or even partake in them; all I would ask is that he respect and accept me.
__________________
Fandom Fest 2014 cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Sayaka Miki [mermaid] (Madoka Magica)

MCM London Comic Expo cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Nagisa Momoe (Madoka Magica)

ALA cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Snow White (Zombie Panic in Wonderland)

2015 conventions: Anime Los Angeles, Anime Central, Japan Expo
Oniigiri_Basket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #60
alpha_helix
beer + costumes
 
alpha_helix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,117
The idea of someone sharing all the same interests is nice, but impossible. I'm pretty sure I've said this before, but if someone truly cares for you they can handle your silly harmless hobbies. Odds are that your partner will have their own interest you don't get. In fact, I think having unique hobbies can be good for a relationship. Sometimes you need to do something "just for me" instead of "for us.". Different interests makes that easier.

Or maybe it's just me. I'm an ambivert and need as much personal time as people time.
__________________
Next Con: Anime Weekend Atlanta
Finished costumes: Joffrey Baratheon (Game of Thrones), Morty (Rick & Morty)
In Progress: Victorian!Jesse (Pokemon inspired)
youtube channel! Facebook Page
alpha_helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:13 PM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.