Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 03-23-2012, 11:39 PM   #61
sushigato

it depends how far his dislike for cosplay goes... if he doesn't like cosplaying himself but is ok with other people doing it (me) then that'd be ok
if he hated it and thought it was stupid/childish/weird then no
sushigato is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-24-2012, 12:04 AM   #62
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushigato View Post
it depends how far his dislike for cosplay goes... if he doesn't like cosplaying himself but is ok with other people doing it (me) then that'd be ok
if he hated it and thought it was stupid/childish/weird then no
I would say this holds true for any hobby someone holds dear though. If Jane Doe really loves collecting model trains, but John does nothing but talk about how childish, immature, stupid, and useless the hobby is then Jane probably won't be in the relationship for very long if John doesn't learn to respect her hobby.

If John Doe just loves collecting door knobs from the 1700's, but Jane hates it and doesn't respect the hobby then the same problem arises. It isn't that the other person has to love doing the same things as the other, it's just they respect that hobby.

To be honest I find it just as shallow when someone completely rules out a person who doesn't share the same hobby, it feels just as closed minded as someone not accepting and respecting another persons interest.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2012, 12:10 AM   #63
RoMayDrako
Happy Now?

I'll tell you what it usually turns into for me. "I cosplay." [Insert something about not liking cosplay here] then [Insert me forgetting that he doesn't like cosplay] then it turns into a: >> << >> SO hows the weather?

Just so long as the guy understands that I have a bad memory, and/or so long as he takes steps to keep conversations going I don't see it as a problem. If he has a problem with me cosplaying, then it's his problem and he's going to have to deal with it. We all have our hobbies.
Unread 04-05-2012, 04:22 AM   #64
Musicalpencil
great now I'M the bad guy

As long as they can tolerate it at the very least, that’s fine with me. If they're going to downright hate it, or even worse if they talk bad about it behind my back (because I've had friends do this to me), it's a deal breaker. We deal with enough people seeing cosplay as "for freaks only."

Murphy's Law of Cosplay:
"If she thinks for half a minute this is gonna be a stroll,
she can kiss my you-know-what 'cos you-know-who is in control!Ē

Last edited by Musicalpencil : 04-05-2012 at 04:55 AM. Reason: I can't seem to spell today
Musicalpencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2012, 04:50 AM   #65
TheNyru
Goblin Tinker!

I have never had a problem like this before, I am very open about my likes and dislikes so people know what I like and enjoy doing. If a woman doesnt like cosplaying or anyone who does it (or anything else I like for that matter) they will know I do it and probably let me know they think im weird haha
Though I have to say people around me have been very supportive about my new hobby and some have even thought about it before hand and are coming along with me

Costumes Working On
Ironman (60%)

TheNyru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2012, 05:05 AM   #66
Sybren117
Gipsy Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
I would say this holds true for any hobby someone holds dear though. If Jane Doe really loves collecting model trains, but John does nothing but talk about how childish, immature, stupid, and useless the hobby is then Jane probably won't be in the relationship for very long if John doesn't learn to respect her hobby.

If John Doe just loves collecting door knobs from the 1700's, but Jane hates it and doesn't respect the hobby then the same problem arises. It isn't that the other person has to love doing the same things as the other, it's just they respect that hobby.

To be honest I find it just as shallow when someone completely rules out a person who doesn't share the same hobby, it feels just as closed minded as someone not accepting and respecting another persons interest.
Jane sounds like an idiot. 18th century doorknobs are so fucking pimp.

My ex girlfriend wasn't into the same stuff as me, we had a great relationship (until we split up... obviously... but that wasn't hobby related.)
Sybren117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #67
sam vimes
A real live wire

It wouldn't phase me, but my wife might take issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #68
MisakiPhantom84

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinoaShadow View Post
While I consider myself far to young to date right now (only 14.), i can imagine that since Cosplay is pretty big of a thing in my life it'd kinda matter to me whether the person i dated had negative opinions on cosplay or not.

I would not care if they didnt cosplay or if they didnt care for it, but if they were only ever negative about it or just didnt accept it as a hobby or interest of mine, i'd ditch them right there.
They don't need to love it, but a slight apprecition/not bagging it would be... sorta nice.
Same here... I haven't dated yet,and I don't plan to anytime soon(a few years maybe...). Although if I were, then I'd say that I would rather have a cosplayer than a 'normal' person... Most conversations include cosplay and otaku-filled chats so as others have said I wont be able to have many conversations with them. I also don't mind having a so called 'normal' person either as long as they don't change me.(try to anyways.. I wont let them)... "I am a unique painting,not a copy of someone else's creativity"... also a 'normal' person can show me other things like books,movies,restaurants,etc. So,Although I prefer a cosplayer,I won't mind a 'normal' person either.
MisakiPhantom84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #69
quizbowler

I'd like it more if my girlfriend was also into cosplay, since that means we could spend more time together with costume making and going to conventions, etc. It wouldn't be the end of the world if she wasn't into it, as long as she was okay with me still taking part.
Junpei Iori (60%)
quizbowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #70
surferbrg

if the person is opened minded, then it will work out, but if the person is opposite attract it will not work, it happened to a former friend of mine. It didn't work for me when I got my first gf. but your welcome to give it a try.
surferbrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 09:04 PM   #71
itlookslikerain

It all comes down to mutual respect. If a guy I was interested in didn't respect me enough to keep his negative opinion about cosplaying/costumes/my geekdom to himself - it wouldn't work out. Those are things that I love, and they're a part of who I am.

That being said, my boyfriend doesn't cosplay, but he thinks that it's super-rad that I do it. He likes seeing me make costumes of the comic book characters he liked as a kid. :3

Next Con: Calgary Comic and Toy - September 2012
itlookslikerain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 03:14 AM   #72
Moonsong
daughter of evil

I'd probably be iffy about it. Right now, it's the hobby I choose to devote what little extra spending money I have to, and if I couldn't share that with someone, or were forced to change, it would kind of suck. If a person cannot at the very least be respectful of my hobby, there can be no chemistry between us.

On hiatus until 2015.

★Saber EXTRA - 100% complete
★Rachel Alucard (Blazblue) - 100% complete

Moonsong is offline   Reply With Quote