Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Unread 04-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #1
sunnydale_pet

Review: DugFinn

Relaying a very bad experience I had with DugFinn. I had a post up looking for a commissioner to make me a costume at the end of last year (to be completed by this April). DugFinn responded on here. Everything she said sounded great, and after looking at her webpage, her stuff looked great, too. Plus, she seemed like she was involved in a lot of cosplay activities, so I hired her.

I paid her required deposit ($100) in November. She sent me a follow-up email asking me if I wanted her to send swatches or if she should pick. I told her she could choose. That was November 20. On December 12, I sent a second payment (yeah, I know I'm a fool) of $25. Heard nothing. So on January 1 (after seeing that her website was no longer operational), I sent an email telling her that if she couldn't make the costume, I understood and that she could just refund my money. Still didn't hear from her, and since I saw on PayPal that my time to file a dispute was almost up, I did so. She contacted me almost immediately after that (January 3) with an excuse that she was busy with another con. She was very apologetic, and promised that she would be starting on my costume in late January, and should be finished by mid-Feb, definitely before April.

After that, I closed my dispute with PayPal (BIIIIIG MISTAKE). I heard from her once more, January 26, and she said I would be hearing from her in the next two weeks. Again, being a fool, I sent her $25 more. And....that was the last time I heard from her. I contacted her at the end of February asking her if she knew what measurements she would need from me. Contacted her again March 6, expressing (very politely) my concern. I asked her at this time to refund my $150 with no hard feelings in the hope that I could find someone else to make my costume. Nothing. I contacted her 3 more times by email, trying to be polite as possible (although growing less so) in asking her for my money back. Nada. I tried to at least lodge a complaint with PayPal (knew it was too late to get my money back), but since I had already closed the dispute, I couldn't do anything. And it wouldn't let me do anything about the smaller payments for some reason.

So, feeling stupid/extremely disillusioned/ticked off/royally screwed. I was very pleasant and understanding, just wanted my money back. She didn't even do me the courtesy of responding. I guess this will just be a lesson to me. A very expensive lesson. DugFinn cheated me out of my money and out of a costume.
sunnydale_pet is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-07-2011, 06:10 PM   #2
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydale_pet View Post
Relaying a very bad experience I had with DugFinn. I had a post up looking for a commissioner to make me a costume at the end of last year (to be completed by this April). DugFinn responded on here. Everything she said sounded great, and after looking at her webpage, her stuff looked great, too. Plus, she seemed like she was involved in a lot of cosplay activities, so I hired her.

I paid her required deposit ($100) in November. She sent me a follow-up email asking me if I wanted her to send swatches or if she should pick. I told her she could choose. That was November 20. On December 12, I sent a second payment (yeah, I know I'm a fool) of $25. Heard nothing. So on January 1 (after seeing that her website was no longer operational), I sent an email telling her that if she couldn't make the costume, I understood and that she could just refund my money. Still didn't hear from her, and since I saw on PayPal that my time to file a dispute was almost up, I did so. She contacted me almost immediately after that (January 3) with an excuse that she was busy with another con. She was very apologetic, and promised that she would be starting on my costume in late January, and should be finished by mid-Feb, definitely before April.

After that, I closed my dispute with PayPal (BIIIIIG MISTAKE). I heard from her once more, January 26, and she said I would be hearing from her in the next two weeks. Again, being a fool, I sent her $25 more. And....that was the last time I heard from her. I contacted her at the end of February asking her if she knew what measurements she would need from me. Contacted her again March 6, expressing (very politely) my concern. I asked her at this time to refund my $150 with no hard feelings in the hope that I could find someone else to make my costume. Nothing. I contacted her 3 more times by email, trying to be polite as possible (although growing less so) in asking her for my money back. Nada. I tried to at least lodge a complaint with PayPal (knew it was too late to get my money back), but since I had already closed the dispute, I couldn't do anything. And it wouldn't let me do anything about the smaller payments for some reason.

So, feeling stupid/extremely disillusioned/ticked off/royally screwed. I was very pleasant and understanding, just wanted my money back. She didn't even do me the courtesy of responding. I guess this will just be a lesson to me. A very expensive lesson. DugFinn cheated me out of my money and out of a costume.
Thank goodness I didn't commission her. She frequents the cons I go to. That's really sad. I think another person commissioned her too, or was going to.
angelbabycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 05:52 AM   #3
sunnydale_pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbabycakes View Post
Thank goodness I didn't commission her. She frequents the cons I go to. That's really sad. I think another person commissioned her too, or was going to.
Yes, it does seem like she goes to a lot of cons and even judges them, which is one of the reasons I thought I could trust her professionalism. I really don't like to be mean. She could be a great person, and maybe someone else has had a great experience with her. I just know that I was cheated, and I certainly wouldn't use her or tell anyone else to use her.
Unread 04-08-2011, 02:22 PM   #4
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

Quote:
Yes, it does seem like she goes to a lot of cons and even judges them, which is one of the reasons I thought I could trust her professionalism. I really don't like to be mean. She could be a great person, and maybe someone else has had a great experience with her. I just know that I was cheated, and I certainly wouldn't use her or tell anyone else to use her.
I don't blame you. She judged or at least helped out the last contest I was in and she seemed really nice, or from what little bit I did get to converse with her. Disappointing to hear this.
angelbabycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 08:20 PM   #5
yamibakura03
aka Ludger03

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbabycakes View Post
I don't blame you. She judged or at least helped out the last contest I was in and she seemed really nice, or from what little bit I did get to converse with her. Disappointing to hear this.
Im sorry that you guys had a bad experience with her. From what I heard, she been busy with lots of stuff and the last convention I went to, I didnt get the chance to talk to her. At this point, I talk to her once in awhile. I had helped someone else with the same problem and did get there money back. Hmm...have you tried contacting the credit card company and explain the situation? That might help.
Elsword Cosplays: Blade Master Raven ver 2.0 (81%) andIron Paladin Chung (21%)
Tales of Xillia 2- Victor Mel Mata (16%) & Jude Mathis (10%)
yamibakura03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2011, 10:12 PM   #6
sunnydale_pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamibakura03 View Post
Im sorry that you guys had a bad experience with her. From what I heard, she been busy with lots of stuff and the last convention I went to, I didnt get the chance to talk to her. At this point, I talk to her once in awhile. I had helped someone else with the same problem and did get there money back. Hmm...have you tried contacting the credit card company and explain the situation? That might help.
I did a direct pay from my bank account, so not sure if I can do anything there, but thank you for the advice.
Unread 04-14-2011, 05:53 AM   #7
sunnydale_pet

Quote:
Relaying a very bad experience I had with DugFinn.
Update on DugFinn - DugFinn refunded my money last night.
Unread 04-18-2011, 03:40 AM   #8
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:

That really sucks. But honestly, she should of at least informed you ONCE if she was busy to reassure her customers, it's in her place as a commissioner to take care of her customers. But since she's not a commissioner but a scammer, she made up an excuse that is BS just to string you along.
My advice to you, and everyone, if the commissioner starts making multiple excuses and doesn't reply for a long time then file a dispute immediately. Not saying that all commissioners are bad, but from what I've read from all these stories, scammers make excuses and hardly reply where as a professional would reply in a timely manner and be true to their customer at all times.
Funny how she quickly replied after you filed the dispute, but if you really are worried you are being scammed, then take no chances, if the commissioner doesn't turn out to be a scammer, well, it's their own fault for not replying in time. Go spend you money elsewhere.
Thanks for the warning, sunnydale_pet.
Usagi Tsukino (School Uniform) - Sailor Moon
Sailor Cosmos - Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
Bubbles - Powerpuff Girls Z

Last edited by x-Steffi-x : 04-18-2011 at 03:42 AM.
x-Steffi-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 10:17 AM   #9
Sirius-chan
Sintra Lover =3

Oh gosh she contacted me last year before december about armor that I needed to be made. She sent me plans and all that but after I was ready to send her the contract that she agreed to. I guess she didn't like what it said in it.

Tsubaki: Blazblue

Maya: Persona 2

Cons:

Dragon*COn
AWA
Momo
Sirius-chan is offline   Reply With Quote