Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 04-30-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
Kama

Building a fake falcon (yes the bird)

So I've decided to do a falconer costume. Unfortunately, this involves a falcon. Obviously not a real one, but I find myself a little stuck on how to go about obtaining a reasonable imitation of one.

I've attached the few times you actually see the falcon as a reference. Sorry they're small but blowing them up larger kind of ruins the image quality. And it's pretty much just a large, brown bird.

My ideas so far have been a stuffed falcon (too unrealistic), a decorative bird (wrong colors, expensive for a foam/feather combo, usually look creepy), and a decoy falcon (attached to base). Since I'm sure mostly everyone here is better at props than I am...does anyone else have ideas? How would I construct a fake falcon or would it be possible to cut away the base of a decoy falcon? I'd like it to be (1) Reasonable realistic (2) Not too heavy since I have to carry it around (3) Not too fragile (4) Not extremely expensive.

Any links would also be appreciated! I get the feeling I bit off more than I can chew/create with this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg costumefalcon.jpg (47.0 KB, 0 views)
Kama is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-01-2011, 09:12 AM   #2
dj_jammer506

Have you researched any taxidermy options? I can't find much, but I haven't searched too much. You could even get a stuffed bird, think teddy bear stuffed, and cover that with feathers. It's a feat, but if it's done right it could look awesome.
Unread 05-01-2011, 05:43 PM   #3
Athel
PUT YOUR GUNS ON!!

Well, if you want to go the crafty method:
Try making a simple base out of mesh wire or foam ball forms. Build on that will a little rigid wrap. You can get bulk feathers on ebay for a decent price. And have at it. (Then details such as a paperclay beak and you can actually buy glass eyes from taxidermy catalogs if you wanted that extra realistic effect.)
Date Masamune (Sengoku Basara) - *in progress*
Joffery Baratheon (Game of Thrones) - Dragon*con 2013
Athel is offline   Reply With Quote