Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Soul Eater

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-02-2011, 08:50 AM   #1
Nightlight136

How To Make A Weapon?

My friend's birthday is coming up in a few weeks. She LOVES Soul Eater. More specifically, Soul. (And who can blame her? )

I was going to make her a scythe, I want it to be at least 6ft. tall. I think she's about 5'3''.

Does anyone have any tips on how to make a GOOD, QUALITY weapon? I don't want it to be cheap, and like, made out of cardboard and all that jazz.
Nightlight136 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-02-2011, 09:01 AM   #2
Bisected8
panificium delicatum sum

This'll probably be moved to the board specifically for stuff like this, but if you look on the tutorials board and go in the stickied weapons topic there's a few topics on making them.

Also, I saw this on dA a while ago; http://animus-panthera.deviantart.co...22754#/d35kq09

To do; Dark Link (70%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
Bisected8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
Dictamnus Albus
visionary

if you dont wana use a dozen different materials, id say try getting a
pine (cheap) or hardwood (oak, maple for more durable and realistic weight diferential)

i was going to ask similar question, but after reading yours...
(its easier to answer someone elses ?'s than ones own)
(was still posted in general when i typed this)

i thought id go w/ wood, since im looking to finish with a sword i can swing about haphazardly,

after googling soul eater (not familiar w/ the title) i assume you mean the scythe w/ the red/black blade and white/silver haft

IMO, weapons should always be proportioned to the intended wielder, that said,
if your friend is only ~5'3, the over all hight should be little more than ~5'8
so that if she stood under the blade where it meets the haft, it should have a 3-4inch clearance,

for materials id try to find a 6'ft wood pole (hardest part cause most are 5' 1/2 or less)
ie; replacement mop handle, aprox 5'ft

the blade looks to be ~3/4 of the overall hight so youll want a plank 6in wide by 5' long
and 3in thick
(you can cut 2 blades from this) id use oak or better cause of weight distribution and integrity, for both haft and blade

joining the parts, im not sure on, one thing i am sure on is, "use powertools" it puts less stress on your parts
and remember, when using wood you gota use a "sealant" before painting
(not laquer, stain or varnish)
Dictamnus Albus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 10:53 PM   #4
Ginryuu
Needs More Bling

Disclaimer: Props are my weakest cosplay skill. But I've picked up a few things that may be relevant here.

Wood is normally a good go-to...but in this case I'd shy away from it. Wood can get really, REALLY heavy, and that blade is HUGE. If you made the blade and pole out of wood, I'd be worried about the pole snapping from the weight if it's not held close enough to the blade. Plus the weight would make it really hard to carry and pose with.

So some sort of foam would probably be better. (Gah there was one in particular but I can't remember it's name sorry!) I have a friend who coats foam in resin and it makes lightweight props that are fairly sturdy...not wood-sturdy but they hold up just fine for posing and cons. There are other things you can put over the foam to make it stronger and give it a solid look, but I don't remember what they are.

Here's a link to a tutorial specifically for a scythe pulled from the weapons tutorials thread previously mentioned. Maybe this is the kind of thing you want to try:
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=113812

And on a final note from personal experience...enough gesso and sanding and ANYTHING can look smooth and awesome! Though it takes forever. @^@
Kotsubaki Sentarou (Bleach), Jin (Samurai Champloo), Kittan Bachika [pre-timeskip] (Gurren Lagann), Tsuzuki Asato (Yami no Matsuei), Giriko (Soul Eater), Severus Snape (Harry Potter), Tulio (The Road to El Dorado), Leon Garcia de Asturias (Trinity Blood), Senri (+Anima), Serpico (Berserk)
Cosplays in Progress
Leon Garcia de Austrias (Trinity Blood)
My ULTIMATE Cosplay List!
http://www.cosplay.com/journal/m143513/
Ginryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 11:09 PM   #5
creativecrater
browncoat trekkie

If you look in my WIP gallery, you'll see that I made a 6 ft boomerang out of foamboard. Honestly, if I were to make this prop, a double-layer of foamboard with a slate of balsa wood in between and a heavy duty wood pole is the route I'd try.

"Get Ready. This is the I.C.U. The Intensive Cosplay Unit. Dirty bit."
creativecrater is offline   Reply With Quote