Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Canada Cosplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 28 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-18-2011, 08:10 PM   #61
Zahmira
I am not too old for this

Awesome. Thank you very much, Sarcasm! That makes me feel better.
Zahmira is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-18-2011, 10:24 PM   #62
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Man, I'm getting more and more psyched...now I have to figure out how much to save for it. X_X
(Also, might try the historical masquerade once I revamp my Seraphine costume. I want to start competing with my costumes, but I'm just awwwwful on an actual stage.)
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 07:38 PM   #63
MDA
Destiny Productions

Even though the convention isn't until 2014, I've already bought most of the patterns for my costumes. Yeah, planning really far ahead. Still need 1 more... maybe 2

2014 Cons/Events:
Too many events for 2013, to see the full list please visit here: MDA's Schedule

Facebook | deviantART
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 09:58 PM   #64
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

I can always snag patterns during store sells .... Fabric on the other hand I'll be searching for from now till the 2013 (raiding Christmas ornaments as well.)

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2011, 10:52 PM   #65
Karitsa
The Black Sheep

Wow. This is pretty much the coolest thing ever.

Nerdy stuff for sale on my deviantART page!
CUSTOM MY LITTLE PONY TOYS ALSO AVAILABLE
Karitsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2011, 11:16 AM   #66
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

I think I want to do my Ice Queen from Yami no Matsuei inspired, the dress is up to me but I always love the crown and neck corset design.

And an original costume, something steampunk because I want a Victorian-est and female costume for a change in gold/browns, blues and teals. ^_^ If the budget permits it make a updo wig with streaks in that colour family.

Anime North '15

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!

Last edited by WARPAINTandUnicorns : 07-22-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Unread 07-25-2011, 12:41 AM   #67
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Hmm, just how strictly are the themes followed? My boyfriend and I are doing a historical set that fits, but he's dying to also do a pair of Quarians from Mass effect...not sure if that fits the "Myths, monsters and legends" theme. Lol. I'd feel better doing it if I knew the themes aren't taken uber-seriously.

(Also, planning for my historical costume already. I'm just getting a wig in place of my own hair, and doing some fancy braids, and making a new dress to replace my current one. Currently, I'm torn between what style from the period to make it as...)
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
Unread 07-25-2011, 01:54 AM   #68
Gravely

The Themes at Costume Con, are just for fun, and have no bearing on what you should make.
If you WANT to match the theme great, but in fact, in the competitions, most people wont.
They may, or may not, and we will have fun little extra prizes for people that do, but it is still the same, everyone is welcome maqsquerades that you are used to

theme costumes will probably be seen the most as hall costumes, and for the friday night party

Gravely
owner of Castle Blood the most interactive, costume friendly haunted house anywhere.
Co-Chair Costume-Con 27 ( 2009) Baltimore,Maryland
Cosplay Guest of Honor, Anime North, Toronto, May 2009,2010
founding president NJ/NY chapter ICG
2004 recipient ICG Lifetime Achievement Award
http://www.facebook.com/gravely.maccabre
Gravely is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 02:04 AM   #69
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Good to know. Though it is an awesome theme, so having at least one of my cosumes match it is a plus.
Unread 07-25-2011, 02:05 AM   #70
Gravely

we will not be capping the masq.
also, novaraven is both right and wrong, about the number of masters LOL
This past year was a bizzare blip, with 80% of the science fiction masquerade being in the master class

This is not usually the case, and things are more evenly spread, in fact I highly doubt that even 50% of the folks are masters, as at CC, many of the most experienced folks are working the events.

But never fear, the divison system is at its strongest when at costume con, because we know we need to make sure thigns are cool, for our new folks, and since cc travels to a new city every year, 'usually' new folks make up a large percentage of the people there, as well as entering.

And you can be sure that stable hands are working the masq. between the department head and the 4 masquerade directors, as well as the mc's and tech crews, no one is new, everyone has experience in what they are doing

Gravely
owner of Castle Blood the most interactive, costume friendly haunted house anywhere.
Co-Chair Costume-Con 27 ( 2009) Baltimore,Maryland
Cosplay Guest of Honor, Anime North, Toronto, May 2009,2010
founding president NJ/NY chapter ICG
2004 recipient ICG Lifetime Achievement Award
http://www.facebook.com/gravely.maccabre
Gravely is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 02:07 AM   #71
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

Do not feel restricted by the Convention Theme. The Theme is just something fun to play with if you need to be inspired. If you already have costumes you would like to wear, or costumes you are planning, just do whatever. It's about all costumes. Media re-creation, historical, original design, Winnie the Pooh PJ's... anything goes. Haha.

I'm not sure if Sarcasm-Hime mentioned it, but if you are entering the Historical Masquerade and have no previous Historical Masquerade Experience, you do not have to enter as a Master, even if you are a master in your regular sci-fi/fantasy/anime etc masquerade. It's a whole different ball of wax so no pressure!

I hope that is good news from some of you aspiring historical costumers.

Furthermore, there are categories for both historical recreation and historical interpretation, so there is lots of room for everyone.

I hope this is helpful.

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
Get your membership today!
www.costumecon32.com
Kaijugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 09:39 AM   #72
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

I'm assuming that steampunk that is not to far out (that it end up more sci-fi then historical) would fall under historical interpretation.

Anime North '15

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
Unread 07-25-2011, 06:24 PM   #73
MDA
Destiny Productions

I wonder with a couple of the costumes I plan to do... they could fall under both fantasy and historical interpretation...

2014 Cons/Events:
Too many events for 2013, to see the full list please visit here: MDA's Schedule

Facebook | deviantART
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 06:39 PM   #74
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

My costume planned (first one, not quarians) is one of the between-the-themes costumes.:P My boyfriend and I did a horrendously-fancy fantasy and historically-accurate pair of vampires from the 14th and 17th century (they need some reworking now, but either way, they'd make Twitards cry). SO works under "Monsters", and fancy dressy stuff/historical.

Last edited by ShinobiXikyu : 07-25-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Unread 07-25-2011, 09:23 PM   #75
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

I think this might be helpful for people.
It's a gallery with costumes from former costume con years and competitions.

http://www.costume-con.org/gallery2/main.php

For people who were asking there were steampunk entries in the historical this past year as historical interpretation. e.g. http://www.costume-con.org/gallery2/...2_itemId=15144

Here is another fun one, a Star Wars x Historical: http://www.costume-con.org/gallery2/...2_itemId=15138

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
Get your membership today!
www.costumecon32.com
Kaijugal is offline   Reply With Quote