Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Canada Cosplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 28 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-30-2011, 07:19 PM   #91
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash1616 View Post
I was wondering what the terms of dress code is, more precise, what areas of the female body can't be left undressed.
I'd like to make an ancient hittite royal gown. Depending what the rules are, will mean making a bodice or not/ how see through the material will be. I have a bunch of different designs I'd like to work on, but I want to make sure it'd be acceptable. thanks~
Oooh a good question, and one that isn't covered in our FAQ yet.

Currently the rule is: "There must be some display of skill in creating and executing a design. No flagrant nudity; the masquerade is rated PG-13. The Judges will not award what Mother Nature created. Remember: no costume is no costume."

Since topless women are often allowed in PG-13 movies, I'll have to say it is fine. Futhermore I am the ConChair and have no problem with it. I have queried my Masquerade Directors to be certain of their answer as well and I will let you know absolutely.

Cheers!

------------ UPDATE ------------------

Response from the Masquerade Director:
"Thanks for asking. A reproduction costume should be as authentic as possible. So long as local statutes do not require that a woman's breasts are covered, I have no objection to such a costume if it required baring one or both breasts. Please tell her that a bodice would not be required, although she would be free to use one if her personal modesty so requires.

Perhaps the description of the Historical (and perhaps the SF) should note that some costumes may be revealing if authenticity of reproduction so requires. That way, the audience will be on notice."

I hope this is helpful.

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
Get your membership today!
www.costumecon32.com

Last edited by Kaijugal : 08-30-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Kaijugal is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-30-2011, 11:14 PM   #92
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

When does the pre-reg cost go up? I've only managed to now get my mailing back together and should be sending it out by the end of this week... which means it wouldn't arrive til the beginning of September. I don't want another return to sender because suddenly I don't have enough, now...
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 03:47 PM   #93
flash1616
don't touch the Mytho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijugal View Post
Oooh a good question, and one that isn't covered in our FAQ yet.

Currently the rule is: "There must be some display of skill in creating and executing a design. No flagrant nudity; the masquerade is rated PG-13. The Judges will not award what Mother Nature created. Remember: no costume is no costume."

Since topless women are often allowed in PG-13 movies, I'll have to say it is fine. Futhermore I am the ConChair and have no problem with it. I have queried my Masquerade Directors to be certain of their answer as well and I will let you know absolutely.

Cheers!

------------ UPDATE ------------------

Response from the Masquerade Director:
"Thanks for asking. A reproduction costume should be as authentic as possible. So long as local statutes do not require that a woman's breasts are covered, I have no objection to such a costume if it required baring one or both breasts. Please tell her that a bodice would not be required, although she would be free to use one if her personal modesty so requires.

Perhaps the description of the Historical (and perhaps the SF) should note that some costumes may be revealing if authenticity of reproduction so requires. That way, the audience will be on notice."

I hope this is helpful.
It is helpful, thank you so much for that, I can't wait to get started on it!

Last edited by flash1616 : 08-31-2011 at 03:51 PM.
flash1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 08:11 PM   #94
KittyCanuck
Ph.D. in Horribleness

I've got a couple cool new costumes in the works, but I can't decide if I should make them for AN/Fanex to get them out of my head now, or if I should wait until CostumeCon comes around.
Does everyone only bring brand new costumes to a CC, or do people bring costumes they've worm elsewhere as well? I'm not sure if a con about costuming would be any different from a con like AN/FX.

<---- I'm the dinosaur, not the dude.
KittyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2011, 12:48 AM   #95
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyCanuck View Post
I've got a couple cool new costumes in the works, but I can't decide if I should make them for AN/Fanex to get them out of my head now, or if I should wait until CostumeCon comes around.
Does everyone only bring brand new costumes to a CC, or do people bring costumes they've worm elsewhere as well? I'm not sure if a con about costuming would be any different from a con like AN/FX.
You can TOTALLY bring costumes you've worn elsewhere. The best thing about Costume-Con is that all the international people and out of towners won't have seen your stuff yet so even if it's old to you it's brand new to them.

I encourage people not worry. Costume-Con is fun, and everyone loves what everyone else is doing. It's really that great. No pressure, no pressure.

Does this help at all? Or do you need more detail?

As an aside, If you, (or anyone reading this), have costumes that you don't want to wear at the convention, but may want to be considered to be included in the Canadian Costume Exhibit at the convention, please let me know too, since I'm helping compile possible costumes/names for it.

4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
www.costumecon32.com
Unread 09-02-2011, 10:27 AM   #96
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

I'll be PM'ing you on Exhibit. ^_^

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!

Last edited by WARPAINTandUnicorns : 09-02-2011 at 10:29 AM.
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2011, 11:52 AM   #97
KittyCanuck
Ph.D. in Horribleness

That does help, thank you!

Hrm, what's the Canadian Costume Exhibit? Just costumes on display? Sounds pretty!
Need a pair or raptors for it? ^_~ Now sure how well those beasties would display, though, hehe.

<---- I'm the dinosaur, not the dude.
KittyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2011, 12:59 PM   #98
Wenora
The Musical Mage

Weird question - with the Historical is there a range of era we can choose from (ie. 1700s-1980) or just basically anything before 1980? Can I go nuts with choosing something way back in history, of course provided that I show documentation.

Blog: http://wenora.tumblr.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wenor...57531264268612
DA: http://prishe2win.deviantart.com/
Wenora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2011, 09:15 PM   #99
Ninja Sensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenora View Post
Weird question - with the Historical is there a range of era we can choose from (ie. 1700s-1980) or just basically anything before 1980? Can I go nuts with choosing something way back in history, of course provided that I show documentation.
I don't think there is a limit. Some have done Ancient Egyptian stuff, North American Indian, etc... and I seem to remember hearing that somebody (a group of husbands/boyfirends) entered the historical masquerade as cavemen as a spoof. I believe they were called "the Ook-Ooks" (there is a reason for the name - ask one of the oldtimers sometime).

Medieval, Ancient Greek & Roman, all cultures (Japanese, Indian sub-continent, South American), and just about any aspect (I remember one lady as a Spanish maid from teh 1800s giving us a brief lesson in "fan language").

So, as far as I know, go to town! There is lots of history out there.

BTW - The Ook-Ook's "documentation" was apparently a rock.
Ninja Sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2011, 01:07 AM   #100
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenora View Post

For the purposes of CC-32 in 2014 it is anything in history from before December 31, 1964.

Also do not forget that "Historical interpretation" and "Ethnic Dress" are included in the historical. E.g. You could do kimono from any time period for example.

I hope this is helpful. If you have any more questions I will get you in contact with the Historical Masquerade Director.

Most of our rules and F.A.Q. will be similar to those of CC-30, http://costumecon30.com/masque_historical_faq.php , (as we have the same masquerade director)

www.costumecon32.com
Unread 09-03-2011, 01:14 AM   #101
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
When does the pre-reg cost go up? I've only managed to now get my mailing back together and should be sending it out by the end of this week... which means it wouldn't arrive til the beginning of September. I don't want another return to sender because suddenly I don't have enough, now...
Pre-Reg is set to go up on Dec 31st, but I may delay it until the spring so people have a little more time to spread the work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani_BEE View Post
I'll be PM'ing you on Exhibit. ^_^
I would be delighted to have some of your stuff in the Exhibit Ani_BEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyCanuck View Post
That does help, thank you!

Hrm, what's the Canadian Costume Exhibit? Just costumes on display? Sounds pretty!
Need a pair or raptors for it? ^_~ Now sure how well those beasties would display, though, hehe.
Yes it's a costume display. Each Costume-Con has a display of rocking local costumes. I think it would be posh if us Canadians could show off some of our kick'n creations. There are so many wonderful costumes created by all of you. RAPTORS WOULD ROCK! If you're willing to display them, I'm willing to help find a way. ^_^ It would be funny to put a descriptive plaque beside them like they do with dinosaurs at the museum. XD

www.costumecon32.com
Unread 09-03-2011, 01:56 AM   #102
Chibi Lenne
Ghoulia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijugal View Post

As an aside, If you, (or anyone reading this), have costumes that you don't want to wear at the convention, but may want to be considered to be included in the Canadian Costume Exhibit at the convention, please let me know too, since I'm helping compile possible costumes/names for it.
Possibly the Rapunzel wig....I think Chloe is going to wear the costume, but with a new wig. The one she has now weighs 15 lbs (and lights up! XD )

2015 Cosplay Plans
Queen Odette / surprise?? / Madam Vastra
Follow me on Facebook for more updates
Costume Con 35 Will be RETURNING to Toronto 2017!!
Chibi Lenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 12:14 AM   #103
MaiSheri
Eternal Procrastinator

Regarding the exhibit: The bodysuit will not display at all well, but if you're interested in my Midna helm, let me know! I could volunteer my Alice dress as well.
Unread 09-04-2011, 03:56 PM   #104
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

Thumbs up

Absolutely want you girls in! Good stuff. ^_^

www.costumecon32.com
Unread 09-04-2011, 04:03 PM   #105
Wenora
The Musical Mage

Heh awesome, I'm already researching what I can do for the Historical Interpretation. By that time there might be something that will catch my interest and inspiration. Thanks.

Blog: http://wenora.tumblr.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wenor...57531264268612
DA: http://prishe2win.deviantart.com/
Wenora is offline   Reply With Quote