Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Canada Cosplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-04-2011, 08:57 PM   #106
SuperBee
Jill of all trades

I would love to attend this and participate, but I don't think my cosplay/costume skills are not up to the quality for this event.

Giant Diglett will return!

Possible Future Cosplays:
-Zapdos Original design (humanoid)
-Unown Original design (humanoid)
-Giant Gastly
-Marika Kato - Pirate Captain
SuperBee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-05-2011, 03:51 AM   #107
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee View Post
I would love to attend this and participate, but I don't think my cosplay/costume skills are not up to the quality for this event.
I think that if you are even moderately interested you should come. I use to feel this way too, (intimidated, not good/skilled enough), and now I'm kicking my own butt for all the years I missed! (So sad!) The event is for everyone, and the masquerades are divisional.

Furthermore there are lots and lots of different events and classes so there is something for everyone and we enjoy meeting people with all different backgrounds and skills.

Some people who attend don't even make their own costumes they just buy them and wear them around the halls for fun and to participate in the, non-masquerade competition events.

You may also be interested in something like the Doll Contest, or drawing ideas for the Future Fashion Folio. Who knows? Try not to be too intimidated and therefore talk yourself out of a fun time. ^_^;

As an aside, Buddycat posted a fair decent FAQ regarding Costume Cons in general HERE:http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=244757 it might not apply in every case e.g. regarding attendance California was well over 600+, but it's a great summary.

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
Get your membership today!
www.costumecon32.com

Last edited by Angathol : 09-05-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Kaijugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 08:52 PM   #108
Moofingham
Randomosity at 88mHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijugal View Post

As an aside, Buddycat posted a fair decent FAQ regarding Costume Cons in general HERE:http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=244757 it might not apply in every case e.g. regarding attendance California was well over 600+, but it's a great summary.
Oh, that's good to read, thank you! I was curious if there was any major differences between Costume-Con Masqs, and say, Fan Expo, so that helps. (This is going to be SO much fun....!)

Umm.... nothing at the moment is being worked on.
All creative power diverted to FanExpo Artist's Alley table! Yay! Accessories and such!

Costume Con 32 was AMAZING!!!!
Moofingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 01:16 PM   #109
novaraven1

Are there any voice actors or writers or celebrity guests coming?
I don't care at all for myself but my friends are already saying no to this con because of the high cost.
Unread 09-06-2011, 01:37 PM   #110
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

I guess when compared to FanExpo the price seem high for no celebrity guests. For me the celebrity guests are nice but I'd rather not wait in 1hours lines to see them which make the price null and void on that point for me.

It is also a 4DAY con so you would have to pay more for a full pass. Is $15 more to much to asking compared to Anime North?

This is a Costume driven con so unless your really interested in costuming your might not care for this one.

FanEXPO
Wearing random Arda Wigs.
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Unplugged Expo

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North, (maybe) Otakuthon, FanEXPO '15
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup revies!

Win a Ticket to FanExpo!
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 05:36 PM   #111
novaraven1

Thank-you for your answer. I understand that costume con draws in costumers from all over that you normally wouldn't see. To me it's worth it just for that.

Other people disagree with my pov and do have a point that paying extra or even the same price without the guests and showings and events other cons have is not worth it for them.

The reality is it's a lot of money for the same costuming panels and masq stuff other cons have, just a whole lot more of it. I was asking to see if there was anything really special or different in the realm of guests or entertainment that might get some more interest going.

I'm personally only at cons to hallcosplay with my friends. If they bail for lack of interest I can't cosplay alone so I'll have to pass on this one altogether. That's just how it goes.
Unread 09-06-2011, 09:50 PM   #112
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaraven1 View Post
Are there any voice actors or writers or celebrity guests coming?
I don't care at all for myself but my friends are already saying no to this con because of the high cost.

It's not the type of convention that concerns itself with voice actors or this kind of guest.

Yes there are often writer guests, and more often costume designer guests from stage shows, TV series, film, stuff like that, or guest speakers from museums, historical societies, opera companies, etc. I don't want to hint at who might be coming prematurely but I do have a short list of wants and would likes. ^_^

Yes the cost does seem high, and yet it's in line with other costume cons
This is one of the reasons I'm trying to keep the cost down as long as possible so locals can buy their memberships inexpensively and at par. (How often is it that we don't have to pay more for just being Canadian?) XD
$65 is better than the $100 at-the-door price, which is why I have been encouraging people to buy their memberships now, and just sell them later if they decide not to come.

Admittedly the budget is tight because of the stupidly expensive GTA hotels and the flagging American dollar. Additionally the Stage and the tech are astronomically expensive but we don't have 10,000+ memberships to spread it out over. That's just the reality of a stage show. Quite

There are things that happen at this convention that do not at others. e.g. The Friday night social is somewhat like the Moonlight Ball at Anime North, except you do not pay an additional $40 admission fee. There are many more costuming classes, and make and takes. than traditional conventions. And also a nice consuite which most younger fans are not accustomed to having.

Personally if I was to guess, I think you would have a good time at this convention, and it would be a shame if you chose to miss it. As well I'm sure people would love to see your work.

I will be perfectly honest however, if your friends are expecting Raves and Manga, and Vic Mignogna, this con will disappoint them. It's nothing like FANEXPO at all. It's a terrifically fun convention, but it is very artist and creativity focused.

I truly hope you find some friends to come with you, or at very least your sister. And I do sincerely hope you have a great time. Cheers!

4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
www.costumecon32.com

Last edited by Kaijugal : 09-06-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Unread 09-06-2011, 10:36 PM   #113
MDA
Destiny Productions

Of the costumes I want to do for this convention, I've come to the conclusion that the most detailed one that I want to do is the only one that can really classify as a cosplay instead of an original creation. I really want to do Princess Garnet from Final Fantasy IX in her coronation gown with lots of beads~

A bonus: I have the crinoline and pattern already
Madness of Duke Venomania Kaito Shion (Vocaloid) [70%] | Blake Belladonna (RWBY) [100%] | God Tier Jake English (Homestuck) [100%] | Nightie Grell Sutcliff (Kuroshihtsuji) [100%] | Condesce (Homestuck) [100%]

2014 Cons/Events:
Too many events for 2013, to see the full list please visit here: MDA's Schedule

Facebook | deviantART
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 11:37 PM   #114
Anaira

Oh so we can sell the membership if it turns out we can't go? I'd love to buy one now before the prices go up. I'm still a student and studying across the country from home, so I have no idea where I'll be in 2014
I'd definitely have to think of some awesome costumes to do before then!
Anime North 2014
ColossalCon 2014
Anime Expo 2014
Fan Expo 2014
Anaira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 08:57 AM   #115
SuperBee
Jill of all trades

I have the same problem as novaraven1. If there are make and takes I would be ALL OVER THAT. But the one person who does attend cons with me, ie: my brother, would think it's boring and who cares if he can't buy stuff. I am trying to convince him otherwise by getting him to once in his life make his own cosplay.

Also what others have said, the price does seem a little high, but I don't know what other cons are like so I am guessing that they are on par with those prices. I would take advantage of the advance tickets at the reduced price but I have no idea what I would be doing in 2014.

Giant Diglett will return!

Possible Future Cosplays:
-Zapdos Original design (humanoid)
-Unown Original design (humanoid)
-Giant Gastly
-Marika Kato - Pirate Captain
SuperBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 09:24 AM   #116
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

I have to say I also don't know that far ahead if I'll have the same job, live in the same city or have to move out a province it's really but I'm still planing to go. lol

FanEXPO
Wearing random Arda Wigs.

Unplugged Expo

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North, (maybe) Otakuthon, FanEXPO '15
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup revies!

Win a Ticket to FanExpo!
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 09:52 AM   #117
Wenora
The Musical Mage

It doesn't hurt to try the con once. I've always wanted to go to Costume-Con but since I'm the only costumer in our family, I usually drag my husband along, and most likely as my 'model'. He doesn't mind. But looking through the previous con's I've noticed some panels that may be interesting for him like certain prop making and electronics/lights in costumes.

I still need to get my membership but because of other cons it left us dry. In a few weeks I'll definitely going to get it. I'm hoping that I'll get it before the price goes up.

OooO an exhibit! I'm quite interested in that as well. I'm planning to do a number of dresses from Alice Madness Returns and I don't think I'll be able to wear all of them.
Wenora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 11:37 PM   #118
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

I know many people won't know where they will be or what they will be doing in 2014, myself included! XD

If you're even playing with the notion of attending Costume-Con 32 buy your membership NOW at the reduced rate. YES you can always sell your membership later. It's frequent that people decide they want to attend at the last minute, and then they are looking for memberships that are cheaper than the $100 at-the-door price.

---------

Once again I'll reiterate, I didn't go to Costume-Con for years sighting all the same reasons, price, friends don't want to go, etc, and now I'm kicking myself over every year I missed.

Trust me, I didn't push to get the big for Toronto out of ego, or some crazy money making scheme, (I WISH! LOL ), I did it because I remember when I was young and couldn't go to Costume-Con's out of the country and I wanted to give people here a chance to attend one because I am really that passionate about it. (Costume-Con, Costuming, The Costuming Community). I hope as many of you as possible take advantage of this opportunity.

Lastly, concerning your friends not coming, this is an excellent opportunity to make new friends and connect with other costumers. Maybe some of you on the board could even hang out/organize a group/room up/etc since there are so many of you interested in attending.

www.costumecon32.com

Last edited by Kaijugal : 09-07-2011 at 11:41 PM.
Unread 09-08-2011, 08:44 PM   #119
Ninja Sensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijugal View Post
Lastly, concerning your friends not coming, this is an excellent opportunity to make new friends and connect with other costumers. Maybe some of you on the board could even hang out/organize a group/room up/etc since there are so many of you interested in attending.
It may even be possible for the people on this board to sponsor a party in the Con Suite one night and play host to the people coming in from out of town.

(If the con organizers are doing this that year.)
Ninja Sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 08:57 PM   #120
sweet_kat22
Graphic Designer

ooo man I really want to go to this better start saving the money

Atomic Lollipop
Unsure of costume plans

Fan Expo
Harley Quinn (maybe with a Joker)
sweet_kat22 is offline   Reply With Quote