Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > CLAMP Series

Unread 11-06-2003, 05:43 PM   #1
Miaka No Baka
All Haro belong to me!

advice needed for chii costume

lol i know there's tons on this topic but mine are specific to this costume here:

http://shin-ri.org/kon-nichiwa/cosplay/colour57.jpg

yeah i know I'm CRAZY lol!

ok here's what I need help with:

the type of fabric, satin would look too cheap, so would cotton. What's a good nice fabric that'd be flowy and elegant. I think taffeta would also have a cheapy look unless there's some better qualities than i have seen (cheapy thin stuff sheds like crazy)

in the picture it appears that the lavendar fabric is of a gingham type lavendar and white checkered but i think it's just the way whoever scaned it cause that grain appears all over the image.

As far as the skirt goes I'm planning on making it just long across the back with the short part in the front, it looks like there's multiple white layers underneath the purple one, is that what it looks like to you? Also with the way the skirt gathers on the side with that lacing, would you think i'd need some crinoline or tule to help make it fluffier?

And for the bonnet all the patterns i found have it tie under the chin but in the picture chii's bonnet doesn't appear to tie under her chin. Should i opt for just having it tie under the chin or do you think it'd work another way?

Are there other pictures of this costume? Perhaps another pose, or does someone have a larger scan of this image?

I know a lot of this stuff is just interpretation, but i'd like some other ideas as to ways it could be done cause sometimes i find my ideas are often the craziest and the hardest to pull off ^_^;

oh yeah do they make a pleating foot for a sewing machine? i know they make a ruffler foot, but this costume has massive box pleated trim so i was just wondering if i'm gonna have to pleat it all myself or if there's a tool that'll do it a lot easier.

Thanks in advance,

Miaka no Baka
Miaka No Baka is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-06-2003, 07:43 PM   #2
Ghyra
♥ Wing Maker ♥

Oookay, here goes!

That violet material /does/ have the while and violet criss-cross design. I blew up the picture and got a good look at it. Cotton really would be your best bet if you're looking for something that won't be too shiny and will come out looking good. Calicoes are also good as most of the ones I've found are lightweight and breathe easily.

It looks to me like the skirt prtion of the dress only lifts a little bit in the front, but is pulled open at the part by gathering the material in between the eyelets and securing it with ribbon. I would use tulle for poofiness and figure out how to make petticoats because that's what that while ruffly stuff is. Make two layers of petticoats and camoflage the tulle in between the two so that you don't itch to death. But the only thing that really parts in a ^ shape is the petticoats themselves, not the top layer of violet material, that looks like it is meant to be able to fall down in the front like a real dress.

For the bonnet, just secure it to the wig with stitching or if you are using your own hair, really long bobby pins or discreet hair clips should work. Just exclude the part in the pattern that calls for ribbons.

There isn't any pleating foot that I know of, I wish that there were! I HATE pleats! =P
~.~.~.~

Be the zombie! http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Ghyra
Ghyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2003, 09:12 PM   #3
Miaka No Baka
All Haro belong to me!

the image i posted has that checkered look cause i think it's from whoever scanned it, sometimes scanners do that add weird lines and stuff. That checkered look is on almost every shadowed part of the picture even on chii's skin so i'm wondering if anyone else has a picture of this that isn't like that. If it's indeed the checkered fabric then i'll definatly look for that fabric ^_^ i figured the white stuff was separate dress layer hrmm is it more than 1 layer or not? i see extra ruffles and i don't know if it's from the front layer or not. grr i hate pictures where it's hard to tell ^_^;

Miaka no Baka
Unread 11-06-2003, 11:13 PM   #4
Tiirz
Clothier of the Undead

I think it should be a solid color myself. I think taffeta would be a good fabric, as long as you're willing to pay for silk taffeta! I have a roll of it in a darker purple, and it's just lovely! If you look in my gallery, there's a picture of a purple gown that was made with patterned purple silk taffeta, and it makes for a nice fullness. The solid color silk taffeta doesn't have the moire pattern that the cheap stuff sometimes has. Silk broadcloth is another possibility and much nicer than cotton, since silks resist wrinkles, making it well worth the price for me, since I hate ironing! And that costume will be a bear to iron...

http://home.comcast.net/~tiirz/Neko_Bish_2.jpg
Tiirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2003, 11:24 PM   #5
angel_peach
peachy keen ^.~

O.O Its so pretty.....

With that being said, for fabric I'd go with crepe, especially if you're looking for something flowy, since its "claim to fame" is the way it drapes. Definately nothing shiney though..

Ooooh, yes, definatly use a petticoat or something. It looks as if Chii would stand up, the skirt would be huge and fluffy...

For the bonnet, I'd go like a lot of the EGL girls do and tie it in back of your head instead of in front. You'll need a couple of extra bobby pins to keep it from sliding around though.

Oh, and about the ruffles....they don't look box pleated to me, but ummm....you know how circle skirts kinda flare out? With the sorta "c" shape and all? I know theres a methood of making ruffles where it uses circles that have a radius cut in them and sewn to other circles cut in the same manner. Does that make sense to you?

Edit: I attached a pic from "Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing" to show you what I mean about the ruffle. To quote: "For the circular ruffle, a small circle is cut from the center of a larger one and the inner edge is forced to lie flat, procing fullness on the outer, longer edge."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg circularruffle.jpg (24.6 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by angel_peach : 11-06-2003 at 11:44 PM.
angel_peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2003, 02:33 PM   #6
Kitten
U+K Kitten

That's the method I'm using on my Sailor Neptune costume, and it works quite nicely, not to mention that it looks good! The skirt ruffles quite nicely, and it's made of crepe back satin, so I think the method should work with any fabric that's not too heavy.
Unread 11-07-2003, 02:42 PM   #7
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Nothing crazy about that costume, as long as you don't mind doing tons of ruffles - they bore me to death. Just want to throw in a word here in defense of cotton: it does NOT have to look cheap! There are lots of quality cotton fabrics out there - but they come with a price tag. Any fiber can be made into any number of different types of fabrics. Cotton fabrics run the gamut from the light, thin broadcloth you tend to see in Jo-Ann all the way up to the fabulous heavy, soft, shiny sateen I used for my Toshiya costume. Don't write off an entire fiber without investigating your options - cotton CAN be the right fabric for the job!

From the way it's gathered up, I would bet that that skirt is fuller on the sides, in imitation of 1770's polonaise styles, in which case you might end up with a pad on either hip, if not a complete pocket hoop, for the support you'd need for that shape.

www.suspiciouscloset.com

Last edited by Koumori : 11-07-2003 at 02:45 PM.
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2003, 09:40 AM   #8
Carmila
Katsucon Pocky Tart

Taffeta would be too rich and heavy - I agree with Kourmori, a nice cotton would be the way to go. A gingham would be overbearing w/the purple and white, but something like a brushed apple cotton, which has a bit of a sheen to it and is little heavier and nicer than your run of the mill broad cloth would make a beautiful Chii costume.
Good luck, can't wait to see how it turns out!

Join the Carmy Army!
http://www.thesteelangel.com/carmsboobs.gif
Carmila is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2003, 07:53 PM   #9
lainey
D2R Cosplay

*glomps the costume*
such a purdy costume...!

i'm thinking of using a similar idea for it...and make the dress poof out like chii's pink dress..
2012 Cons: Coming to a con near you!
Anime North |Otakon
lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2003, 09:43 PM   #10
Din the Dancer
The Lone Mikoto

I aslo want to do this costume sometime in the future. But I'm going to wait until I get more experience and also for the mass of Chi cosplayers to die down. I found the picture on a different site and it still has the lines though.

http://www.geocities.com/mywaltz2001/colour57.jpg

And you won't be able to find her in another pose in this outfit since it's an artbook picture. It's one of those one shot deals. I own the whole manga series and I'd remember if this popped up. And the anime dosen't get outfits this intricate so your stuck with one picture. But it's not that bad because now you have artistic licence to do what you want for the part you can't see!
Din the Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2003, 10:10 PM   #11
Miaka No Baka
All Haro belong to me!

actually that's the website where i got that image from. I just put it on my server cause usually geocities doesn't allow hotlinking plus with excessive bandwidth transfer blocking etc...

Has anyone seen this costume done before? either american or japanese cosplayer? It's not like I'm gonna be bragging that I'm the first or anything but sometimes seeing it made by someone else can help you figure out the things you have trouble with ^_^; plus seeing how they interpreted the costume.

Miaka no Baka
Unread 12-04-2003, 08:31 AM   #12
lainey
D2R Cosplay

hey i've been surfing around and thought of you miaka

it looks like the chii costume
http://www.dragonsgate.net/photopost...=525&password=
2012 Cons: Coming to a con near you!
Anime North |Otakon
lainey is offline   Reply With Quote