Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Critique

Unread 05-04-2011, 10:02 PM   #1
Kiara004
Ice Prince

Critique my Photography please?

So... I've been doing cosplay photography for about a year and a half now. I used to do a lot more photoshoots but as of late, it's just whatever I can fit into a con or a gathering. So... here's some of my images from the last half a year or so.... Opinions!? I don't mind people being harsh with their answers. After all, I'll only get better if I know exactly what's wrong. even little nit-picky things. Thank you to everyone in advance!

On a side note, none of these are photo shopped.

Camera used: Canon EOS Rebel XSi, with the 18-55mm lens

In Florida... don't know any cosplayers around here... fix that? Introduce yourself!
Kiara004 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-05-2011, 01:27 PM   #2
Surfsama
Noob with a Nikon

Iíve been watching you progress through your photography experience and I must say youíre really coming into your own. I really like the care you took in arraigning each of these compositions. Might be a good time to start looking at external flashes and faster lenses such as a 50mm f1.8. The 50 f1.8 is fairly inexpensive and really helps in low-light conditions as well as blurring-out the backgrounds.

Picture 1: Very nice! The background lights almost look like candles. Thereís not much I could critique about this photo since I like the composition, darkness, and overall feel which fits with the emotion. I guess someone could say itís too dark, WB needs adjusting, etc, etc but I think you did this one justice.

Picture 2: This too is very nice. I really like your subject placement Ė I feel like Iím watching a parting moment from a movie. I would have thrown a bit of light on the subjects to emphasis and pop them out a bit more from the wonderful background. I would have experimented with light placement such as from behind and above or camera left and low to see where the light would compliment the scene.

Picture 3: Again, the location and composition are nice but here I would defiantly add some hard light across the subjectís faces. Thereís a bit of a tilt which I cannot tell if itís intentional or not. Thatís usually not good so if itís intentional I would make sure it looks intentional. Of course if itís not, then watch your scene level or correct in post.

Picture 4: Tough shot to pull-off with a kit lens but you did a good job. I see what you were going for here. The issue I see is the sun is too overwhelming and distracts from your subjects. I would experiment with moving the subjects closer until you get a balance between the two competing elements. Another suggestion would be to close your aperture a bit and throw some fill-flash onto your subjects.

Hope this is helpful.
Surfsama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2011, 11:00 PM   #3
Pattayacosplay
PattayaCosplay

Good Work! ....think about lighting, exposure ... :0)
Pattayacosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 03:20 PM   #4
parv

Surfsama had written most of my words.

In the first one, the person lying seems to be receiving bit too much light, especially on the right cheek. I like the light levels on the other character's face. I need to learn to control the light myself. How did you achieve that?

In the last one, was the face (of the person with near naked tree in background) underexposed too much for your liking?
parv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2011, 12:03 AM   #5
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

#1 The lights in the distance have a nice effect. I do like how the light lands on the face of the up-right cosplayer, except for the nose shadow. I slightly lower angle on the light would make a less prominant shadow below her nose. Tilting her head up toward the light was a great choice. Her hair is hard to see as it is in the shade and does not separate from the black background. You could have created a subtle rim light on her hair using either a silver reflector, a mirror, or another light source. Both their heads are placed in the center. Your composition could improve if you crop some space on the right, and show the whole hand of the cosplayer laying down.

#2 The location and time of day is pretty with the city lights reflecting on the water. The composition is nice with the off-center placement of the couple. I don't mind so much not seeing aqua haired cosplayers face well, but I would like to see more of the face of the blue haired cosplayer. The crop on the left hand feels awkward.

#3 I like the placement, poses, and the varied distances of each cosplayer. The location looks cool and seems to fit the characters. I do agree with Surfsama that there is a strange tilt to the verticle lines and the slab they are standing on. A brighter exposure or brightness adjustment in photoshop could solve the overly dark result. There is a lot of empty cement in the foreground that could have been used by cosplayers positions, or you crop some of it out. More room on the left and less room on the right would finess the composition.

#4 The low angle works well. I like the sun-flare. It shows the right coplayer's face well, and it separates the tree branch from connecting with the head, but the left cosplayer's face is slightly too obscured. Not bad though. The location looks nice, but the speed limit sign takes away from the otherwise natural setting. The house seems a bit ordinary for the conservative college clothing. A old-style european college building would have been ideal.
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote