Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Pokemon

Unread 05-10-2011, 10:28 PM   #1
DarkSkyAngel
Little Chinese person :D

Leotard for Squirtle gijinka

I'm planning on doing a squirtle (another ref. pic) gijinka of this design that my friend and I made based on some pictures found on Deviantart, and I'm planning on getting a leotard for the bottom half of the design, I narrowed it down to these 3:

[Choice 1]
[Choice 2]
[Choice 3]

Which do you think would best?
Also I'm having trouble thinking of a way to attach a tail and keep it upright (the tail design on the bottom is what I hope to achieve, I was thinking maybe fishing wire, but I'm not sure) Oh and I've also made a shell for this future cosplay :]

Please and thank you for any/all responses!

Last edited by DarkSkyAngel : 05-10-2011 at 10:32 PM.
DarkSkyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-10-2011, 11:12 PM   #2
totorolover
Sleep is 4 loserS!

well i just finished making a squirtle shell backback for my daughter and i just sewed the tail end to the shell and sewed the back of the shell to the backpack, but i think that only worked cuz it was small. i would suggest thinking about using a small hook and eye http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://chestofbooks.com/crafts/needlework/School-Needlework/images/Fig-48.png&imgrefurl=http://chestofbooks.com/crafts/needlework/School-Needlework/Hooks-And-Eyes.html&usg=__qtzUWt_dTq307PRgT1JCYgrdJKM=&h=193 &w=425&sz=57&hl=en&start=80&zoom=1&tbnid=YNK2XoP2Q AEUeM:&tbnh=67&tbnw=148&ei=qwvKTfb7IqfbiAKgqa3TBg& prev=/search%3Fq%3Dsmall%2Bhook%2Band%2Beye%26um%3D1%26h l%3Den%26biw%3D1366%26bih%3D544%26tbm%3Disch0%2C13 34&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=324&vpy=286&dur=1899&ho vh=151&hovw=333&tx=191&ty=107&page=4&ndsp=29&ved=1 t:429,r:22,s:80&biw=1366&bih=544 have the hook on the tail and the eye on the leotard or visa versa, it wont be seen once hooked and can be taken off when needed.

costume list

chii- clamp no kieske cover
Dream - sandman comics
caption harlock (for husband)
totoro dress (daughter)
totorolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 12:45 AM   #3
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

I'd go for the first one. Bal Togs is a wonderful company (buy all my leotards/bodysuits by them), and the first one doesn't seem as see-through as the third one that is also by them.

Thank you for completely removing my signature without emailing me that it was too long.
ThakYuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 01:02 AM   #4
DarkSkyAngel

@totorolover - Thanks! I never thought of a hook and eye! I might try it out :]

@ThakYuki - Thanks for the heads up about Bal togs! (just curious how's their shipping?)
Unread 05-11-2011, 07:22 PM   #5
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

Bal Togs doesn't sell directly to buyers. They sell to other dancewear supplier companies. I'd recommend buying from www.nydancewear.com The "Special cut to order bodywear" is the section to pick out a specific shape (there's lots) and the specific color you're looking for in nylon/lycra (shiny) or cotton/lycra (matte). Bal Togs makes lots of colors, but depending on the dancewear you buy, the price goes up, but it's well worth the price.

NYDancewear ships pretty fast. I had purchased a cut to order suit (usually they submit it to Bal Togs, where it's sewn and then sent out) expecting it to be 3-4 weeks before I would get it, as their site says, but I ended up getting it in less than a week (my guess is the color and cut I requested was already made before my order).

Thank you for completely removing my signature without emailing me that it was too long.
Unread 05-11-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
DarkSkyAngel

Thank you! This was very helpful! Oh I bought this shirt and plan to modify it, would a matte or shiny leotard look better with it in your opinion? and would you suggest buying a snap crotch?
Unread 05-12-2011, 10:30 PM   #7
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

I think either the matte or the shiny will look fine with that shirt, but the matte would probably look better, as the shirt looks like it's cotton. As for the snap crotch, that's up to you. I haven't bought one with a snap crotch, so I don't know how it functions or how it looks.