Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Costume-Con

Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-12-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
von Drago
Well, you're wrong!
 
von Drago's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 158
Misconceptions about Costume-Con & what cosplayers should expect

There are definite misconceptions about what Costume-Con is (and can be).
And sometimes that information isn't readily available.
So how can we clear up some of the confusion & make the experience better for everyone?
von Drago is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 05-12-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
von Drago
Well, you're wrong!
 
von Drago's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 158
Hopefully we can get some of the already started conversation over here from the other thread, but....

Just to get things started: Costume-Con is more of a Conference rather than a Convention.
It's emphasis is on education & learning as well as being fun.
__________________
Chair Costume-Con 16 (1998) St. Louis, Missouri, USA
founding president SLCG, chapter ICG
President of the ICG 2006-2009
2010 recipient ICG Lifetime Achievement Award
2012 recipient Costume-Con Founders Award

Annual Conventions: Costume-Con, Archon
von Drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 07:13 PM   #3
trixyloupwolf
A LONELY kitty
 
trixyloupwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,875
trixy view on costume con nya!!

its a secret con but let trixy spoil the secret out nyahahhaaha!!<3<3<3

if you want info any just bug them a lot ^^ nyahaha!! iam good at it right guys and girls^^
they need more info on theyr webpage more info more often then just once in a while(exemple :see last info if february and then next info is may)
so let bug them or offert help ^^ so it can be less secret hehehe^^

so in trixy word

your new to costume con and your from anime convention then no worry
anime cosplayer are costumer too^^ it just we make costume from anime rather then tv show or original but its ok ^^
they have all the same categorie in the maskerade
from novice to master
waa impress witht the hight costume quality well no worry theyr master your novice so yeah no worry there just enjoy your time as a novice ^^

you wonder what gonna happen ........ya me too i wonder that too haha
so it make 2 of us wondering what will happen^^

but nothing less
let just make more friend take picture outside with nice view of the area^^ lets chat and chat some more then we can compete in various competition there its gonna be fun ^^

yes i know after 5 or 6 ish pm theyr not much to do we all have to go eat but right after ther party and maskerade and stuff like that so yeah!! let go there toguetter and enjoy the show or you would rather be in the show ^^ and have your minute of glory nya!!

then after that we can maybe go hang out at the consuite... what that well its just the room were you go hang out with friend and have some snack and breuvage ^^ and wach tv all toguetter or just talk and talk some more ^^ or event party for the next convention that win the chance to host one right ^^

aww you think you have see the dealer room well go look some more dealer are friendly artist too and maybe your eyes did not see all they were too look?? let go walk again in there we might found tresure laying around ^^

nah there no pannel you like for now but we could maybe go eat at that lil restaurant everybody were talking about no?? or just relaxe some more before the next pannel or the next thing ya wanna do^^


well the con almost over noooooo!!
its time to take all info on our new friend make a round and ask for people facebook or email right^^
last time you see them for at least one year maybe ya wanna be a lil bit more with them instead you might event want to go see before it close the costume exibition before they take it in and all^^
or maybe ya wanna register for the next year ya why not ^^

ooo sad time its over say good bye =-=
will talk on msn on facebook yeah!! ill miss you all see you next time friends
__________________
PLEASE HELP ME VOTE FOR ME HERE: AWSOMELY BIG PLEASE.
https://www.facebook.com/CosplayWigs...ata=cid_ 1414

were no one is...there i should hide and awaite.....
website:http://pic2.piczo.com/trixyloupwolf/?preview=y
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...1_edited-2.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...600x120-v4.jpg
trixyloupwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 07:14 PM   #4
trixyloupwolf
A LONELY kitty
 
trixyloupwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,875
in meanwhile here some more info i could found out about costume con nya!!
picture time:
most picture are taking of you in each contest

dough if you think a lot of peopla take picture of you...well its rare unless they like the costume and want to remember it but less cause theyll see it on the web page wen its post so maybe that why less picture are taken of you

but o well ^^
you act in charatere cool it make ambiance but do not expect people to know your from a anime ^^ unless your from a sci fiction show then theyll probably know more who you are ^^

but nothing less acting charactere is fun until you get too much in charactere like almost beliving your that person @_@
some do really think that too much in anime convention hehe^^
but it make a nice ambiance too^^ right^^

so yeah just enjoy your time at costume con ^^


activities:
maskerade are super cooooll
many contest i loooove contest ^^
new video maskerade is awsome (Sad not enough entry for contest haha next time maybe)
dealer was ok small but better then the year before ^0^(the best was cc27 yet ^^)
fashion show are awsome dough just so lil prize giving out ^^''' but its ok its part of the game you know ^^ we try harder the year after right ^^

maskerade contest thingy for newbies nya:

ok here the basic contest as i could see by myself in 3 year i go ^^

fantaisy: its like the anime maskerade really same ^^ so yeah awsome

historical maskerade:
same as normal fantaisie maskerade but only historical costume are allow
and it must be docuimented as i heard ^^


single pattern:easy one or 2 or 3 pattern number and all make somthing cool out of the pattern number givin ^^ nya its a awsome contest <3 loove!!
and you show oof on stage with a walk on its fun stress free ^^

fashion folio
: 2 step contest
first step: artist draw and send theyr entry in so they might win a chance to have theyr drawing in the choice book!

then second step:the book is out and sent to all so they choose one art and make that in real life(make the costume in life is awsome its like anime but not from a show its all original creation so it make it more fun more unique and one of a kind )

then you go on stage and do a walk on on the stage ^^ easy
stress freee just walk in and out

Doll contest:
make a outfit to your own dool or any plushie
or make a doll and her outfit
bring them in theyll display them in a room^^


sometime they have these contest too(not always but it depend on the group hosting nya):

hat contest: have any hat or make a hat then decorate bring it in theyll display it in a room

mouskerade:
its a fun lil thing on a sunday to relax and have fun^^
bring your plushie
then as i could analise you make them a outfit and dress them with stuff you found at the con itself ^^
then the day say ^^ you have a mini maskerade
in the consuite( room open to all al the time)
fun cute and relaxing ^^ for fun

video maskerade:

since its fairly new (just the second year they do it)
its easy make a skit on video that you could not do on stage
aka too many people aka cool effect
aka muddy or make a mess on video ^^
then send it in and voila ^^

this year not enough entry to judge but still was fun cool entry was sent as we ssaw nya!!
love love^^

quilt contest:
as i not know all ^^
you quilt something and bring it in theyll display it ^^


as iam not aware of any other contest or maskerade or show that all i can remember nya!! theyr all fun^^


pannel :
most i wanted to attend this year were same time as mine or too close to the maskerade/fashion show time to go =-='''''' as a participant so nya!!

some may talk to much on a subject and ommited maybe more detail of the subject and goes into theyr life like me ..me me me me... but that ok i guess cc people are used to that lol!!!


ambiance and stuff!!
its a relax convention!! nothing to stress about
and it nice like that once in a while to relaxe and all
after convention time pannel are off its alway cool to go in the lounge room thingy to chat with friend we see once a year ^^
but do agree sometime it get too crowded =-=
maybe a room to play board game would be nice too ^^

food
awsome free food in the consuite thingy ^^ <3<3<3<3<3<3<3

people
they were awsome^^ nice people

picture
ya its not a anime con people ^^ sorry not as many people you know
so that why not much picture taken right ^^
i did take some and it was supper fun taking picture for a girl with her camera ^^
iam happy she liked them too ^^



anime vs costumer

ya some were weird about that but o well
in my mind a costume is a costume from a show or not its still will alwayys be a costume
nya!!!

judge
ya some are not as nice as anime con
and you almost have to fight to talk to them ^^:::
compare to anime con at least judge ask question on what they seam to like on the costumer costume ^^ and like not push them out of they view as soon as they can or make them feel bad before event talking nya!! not all some do!! but ya aniem convention have friendly judge and well its a whole lot diferent but i saw both thing so its all depend on who judge really so ya !! they just judge diferently ^^

but hey almost all people are master there so i guess its pretty much harder to judge
(AND I MEAN WOW SO MANY AWSOME COSTUME SO YEAH BRAVO TO THE JUDGE CAUSE IT LOOOK REALLY HARD TO CHOOSE IN ALL THOSE AWSOME COSTUMER^^)
dough sad thing is wen i went to see some judge they say i guess its from a anime
it was a original i was a little fuzz about it cause they did;t really look much anithing i was trying to get them look they were mad i assume
wen i got to them she before i start talking say ""seam were taking too much time so we must hurry and seem not really happy about it seam they got told or so i assume
but still sad being french its a lil harder to make my point to oblige them to look wen they do not want to and they were behind a round table showing stuff to them in a lil corner they did;t seem to want to look aniway so nya to them ^^:::


but all other contest fashion show judge seam ok at least ^^ they were not all bad ^^
dough i prefer juge that are not behind a table ^^:: so they can see and look a lil bit more interested in a costume lol
seem costume con has they way of judging ^^ someday ill learn the thing @_@ so hard to try to please the judge every year nyaaa!!
but still iam trying harder and harder nya haha!!


in conclusion i love costume con


i do agree it diferent then anime con and i like that ^^
anime con are crowded anime con are younger too
anime con need to have more rule and more stuff to entertaine the younger one cause obviously they need to move and do stuff or make mischivious thing haha so they keep them busy nya!! ya we get bored easely but theyr alway a way to enjoy ourself you know ^^ there plenty of people we can organise stuff its not under a rule not to have fun^^
it event encourage to organise our own stuff ^^
nya!!

but i loooove anime con a really a lot too
^^
and i do not get so in picture asking then that so
i do not see really the probleme with people not getting picture from other ya its fun but you can just organise one fotoshoot time and then iam sure they would have picture takene of them nnya!! theyre always a solution to all ^^
if no one talk no one will get anithing right nya!!


maybe we could insert somme late night or after lunch time contest ^^or something like that ^^::
aka maybe a gameshow with contestant and people to wacht
exemple geopardy la poule au oeuf d or ani game show
not only uestion show thing that make us move too ^^
sitting and relaxing is fun but moving too ^^

younster like to move hehe and well older people like to sit and relaxe and talk more ^^
nya!! maybe that why some young get bore nya!! <3<3<3
__________________
PLEASE HELP ME VOTE FOR ME HERE: AWSOMELY BIG PLEASE.
https://www.facebook.com/CosplayWigs...ata=cid_ 1414

were no one is...there i should hide and awaite.....
website:http://pic2.piczo.com/trixyloupwolf/?preview=y
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...1_edited-2.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...600x120-v4.jpg

Last edited by trixyloupwolf : 05-12-2011 at 11:52 PM.
trixyloupwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 08:06 PM   #5
von Drago
Well, you're wrong!
 
von Drago's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 158
In jokes

Since these points were made on another thread I hope they don't mind me quoting them here.

Supergeekgirl said:
“There are a lot of CC in-jokes. This actually bothers me a bit too. If we're going to have "entertainment" (aka a funny emcee or a play during the social), it needs to be accessible even to us n00bs who don't know what happened at CC8. A few little in-jokes is fine, but this con in particular seemed to thrive on it. To some of the people who had never been, it almost seemed like the jokes were there to make them feel young and stupid.”

Stardust462 said:
“I felt this way too, though I didn't feel . I guess I'm kind of used to it because when I go to my ICG chapter meetings there's always a lot of reminiscing about the past and old stories, but there's also explanation to go with it. My mom and I were talking about the con on the way home (she came to CC27 also) and we think there needs to be some element to the con that makes new members feel like they're not outsiders, because sometimes I did feel that way (my shyness doesn't help with that either). I don't know if the CC Virgins panel on Friday covered anything like that”

Very true, the in-jokes can get to be a bit much even for those of who get most of them. It tends to feel a little too clique-ish. I'm sure they weren't intended to make anyone feel excluded but that can be the end result.

What ways can we make this better? Aside from assigning a translator to every newbie
__________________
Chair Costume-Con 16 (1998) St. Louis, Missouri, USA
founding president SLCG, chapter ICG
President of the ICG 2006-2009
2010 recipient ICG Lifetime Achievement Award
2012 recipient Costume-Con Founders Award

Annual Conventions: Costume-Con, Archon
von Drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 08:33 PM   #6
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict
 
Sarcasm-hime's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 5,258
I guess I'm going to have to re-watch the masquerades as I don't recall a ton of newbie-alienating in-jokes...hm.

I think we do need to make clear when talking up CC that it is *small* con with a much more laid-back vibe than most cosplayers are used to, and that the focus is more on learning and sharing than on crowds and photo-ops.

Additionally I think there needs to be more awareness amongst longtime CC attendees about these issues; I'm sure most don't even notice and forget that not everyone gets those references, or knows how ____ works.
__________________
COSTUME-CON 35 - 2017

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!
***


the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories

Last edited by Sarcasm-hime : 05-12-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 09:32 PM   #7
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer
 
CapsuleCorp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 6,395
Slow, steady, and constant education about CostumeCon's existence will go a long way. I had heard OF CC back when it came to Chicago, almost ten years ago now, but I didn't know how valuable it would have been to me - it wasn't until I heard from people who went and saw pictures of the kinds of costumes shown there that I realized "hey! I want to do that!" By then it was finally back in my neck of the woods so to speak.

Honestly, some of the misconceptions about CC and the ICG are tied up with the general misconceptions about how cosplay got started, who cosplays, and so on. There's a kerfluffle in the general forum because some kid dared to tell the 20-something cosplayers that they should stop cosplaying and stop going to cons when they reached their 30s. I can't help but think the only reason younger folk think that cosplaying is THEIRS, the realm of teenagers who like anime and gawd who are these other people who think they can still cosplay when they're old, is because they don't know anything about the history. And even though I chime in now and then, making it my mantra to get them to learn their roots, it's not going to get through their heads without patient, constant education (and lack of shouting). The reason they have strange ideas about CC being elitist or not welcoming to anime cosplayers and so on and so forth is because they still can't conceive of the fact that there are other conventions - other genres - where people dress up in costumes and run around like nerds. They simply don't realize that there are other cons besides anime cons, and that wearing nerdy costumes predated both them and their parents.

Yep I'm starting to be all "back in MY day" and I've only been doing this twelve years. Compared to some I'm still just a whippersnapper myself.

I really think a lot more younger folk - our next generation of lifetime costumers - would come to CC if you emphasize the fact that you will learn hands-on stuff there. And then follow through by making sure the programming reflects that. We can get "cosplay 101" at every run of the mill anime con, so CC should absolutely program a cut above, doing specific panels on specialty topics. I remember CC25 fondly because I learned SO MUCH! Wings and mascot costumes and new methods and specific historical periods and oh my god.

The one thing you're never going to get around is the price. A lot of people still won't go to CC or WorldCon because of the price, and that's when you have to just shrug and hope that someday when they have disposable income they'll change their minds. You can't really get around that. But you can get around all the other stuff with just some education.
__________________
Founder and Vice-President, Madison Area Costuming Society, a chapter of the International Costumer's Guild

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 09:52 PM   #8
Buddycat
Assistant ICG Archivist
 
Buddycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 297
There's so much to comment on, but I've been cautioned by von Drago not to get too verbose (yeah, right!)

This discussion comes up just as I was saying maybe CC needs a "primer" to explain what to expect - possibly put it on the website, but also have it at the event. I can see where a lot of misconceptions could come from the lack of info going to the con for the first time.

Around 4 years ago, the general costuming community started really paying attention to the huge number of costumers at anime cons, and CC committees started making efforts to reach out to them. Problem has been, now that we're starting to see results of the efforts, people have forgotten not everyone has been attending for years and years. Hence, the in-jokes, and assumptions that everyone knows the general schedule of events.

Having been on the "CC Virgins" panel, I can see we need to tailor the info a bit more. The best question we got was "What's the Friday Night Social about?" That made me realize we weren't doing the best at explaining what to expect BEFORE the convention. Stardust462 asked " "we think there needs to be some element to the con that makes new members feel like they're not outsiders, because sometimes I did feel that way (my shyness doesn't help with that either). I don't know if the CC Virgins panel on Friday covered anything like. Actually, we did. We also mentioned the fact that many of the other costumers who have been going for years are also very shy. If you have any suggestions on how to overcome that on both sides, please let us know.

I'm not sure how people thought CC was a "cosplay-centric" conference - but it is a costume-centric event. And I would hope that no one felt slighted, but it did occur to us there might have been one particular group who may not have been the friendliest. Fortunately, they are the minority, and are not representative of the whole. We are, on the whole, "aggresively friendly".

Photographing in the halls. Unlike at anime cons, where most everyone knows the characters being portrayed, and the point is to "be" the character, CC is more about appreciating the costume itself. So yes, people will take pictures of you, but it's not a "photo mob experience". And you are treated as an equal. If you think you're being snubbed, it's actually more like people are just shy - they only open up on stage - or if you ask them about their costume.

I guess I better stop. I have more to say, but I'll stop for now. I will say that I, von Drago, Gravely, and a few others are on a Yahoo list for the standing con committees. And I am currently writing the annual joint review by the St. Louis Costumers Guild that is a primary source of feedback to the committees, and we all will be taking your feedback and trying to incorporate your comments to make the future CCs a more enjoyable experience for both newbies and the veterans.
__________________
What's Costume-Con about? Check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAtzfC75N6k

https://www.youtube.com/user/ICGArchives

Also visit the International Costumers Gallery: http://www.costume.org/gallery2/main.php

Last edited by Buddycat : 05-12-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Buddycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 10:11 PM   #9
koi-ishly
Dreamer
 
koi-ishly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 554
I did not learn of costume con until last year. I'm not a teenager, so when I researched I understood what it was for and what I could get out of it. I have not gone yet, there are a few things that have stopped me from going.

I ran across the site myself. I've no clue how I got there, maybe from a blog or researching historical stuff. The cons that I have gone to, I've know through advertising at other cons. They're listed clearly on cos.com, but I really didn't put much thought into it once I saw booths for other conventions that were relative to the area. The only other time I've heard about CC was this Katsucon when someone mentioned in passing that I should look into it.

CastleCorp has brought up a lot of great points.
Quote:
I really think a lot more younger folk - our next generation of lifetime costumers - would come to CC if you emphasize the fact that you will learn hands-on stuff there. And then follow through by making sure the programming reflects that.
I agree with this entirely. And to add to that if this con wants to get more people to go, they need to update the website. Costume-Con.com looks very old. It's easy to tell it's updated, but it's a difficult viewing layout. For me it's a put off for trying to advertise. While this is nit-picking, I do think you have to put your best foot forward and websites are one of the first things con-goers see. Then you go here and it's a world of difference.

Quote:
The one thing you're never going to get around is the price. A lot of people still won't go to CC or WorldCon because of the price...
Yep, enough said. For me, I can completely understand and justify the price. When I'm on a budget and I only go to 1 or 3 cons a year (depends on money), that really does take a bit a cash away. So, you really have to be thinking what you're going to get out of it.

So, what could be improved? Well, I can only speak from what I've seen as far as the internet and why I haven't taken more of an interest. For me, while I love to learn, the heart of it is the fact that I really enjoy the anime con atmosphere and for me those are what I look forward to each year.

Waiting for the con to come to my area: Timing was a big one for me. There was no way I could take off with work. Nothing the con can do there, unless the con wants to cater to my every whim and need ;p

Ok, no more typing for me. I need to go to bed.
Edit**wasn't done typing/editing ^^;;

Last edited by koi-ishly : 05-12-2011 at 10:25 PM.
koi-ishly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 11:51 PM   #10
trixyloupwolf
A LONELY kitty
 
trixyloupwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,875
all i can add is i looove costume con nyahahha!!
and i like anime con wahouu so i go to both cause both are fun in theyr own way nya!!

o iam shy too and i get to talk to a lot of people nya!! theyr all super friendly ^^ and i looove that they have many contest nya!!


also iam old too =-=''''' but lucky me i look very young nya!!
so i feel ok in both world nyeah!! its nyarific ^^


also for shy ness on both side well no one can;t do a lot but if each give a lil in then it be easier nya!! for sure for sure ^^

and aniway cosplaying is costuming
and costuming is sometime cosplaying wen it not an original costume nya!!

so all the same ^^ yeah i like you both cause were all the same nya^^
people that love to dress up ^^
__________________
PLEASE HELP ME VOTE FOR ME HERE: AWSOMELY BIG PLEASE.
https://www.facebook.com/CosplayWigs...ata=cid_ 1414

were no one is...there i should hide and awaite.....
website:http://pic2.piczo.com/trixyloupwolf/?preview=y
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...1_edited-2.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...600x120-v4.jpg

Last edited by trixyloupwolf : 05-12-2011 at 11:55 PM.
trixyloupwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2011, 10:41 AM   #11
stardust462
SNES obsessed
 
stardust462's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsuleCorp View Post
I can't help but think the only reason younger folk think that cosplaying is THEIRS, the realm of teenagers who like anime and gawd who are these other people who think they can still cosplay when they're old, is because they don't know anything about the history.
I agree, and I don't think Costume Con is right for everyone who cosplays. There are people who cosplay to have fun, wear the costume of their favorite character they bought or threw together, and run around and scream (literally... ;_; ) at anime conventions with their friends. They probably won't enjoy costume con.

Then there are the cosplayers who learn to love sewing and actually creating their costumes. They learn new techniques, begin to research historical costuming, and create their own original designs. Maybe they even go to college for costume or fashion design. Those are the type of people who will enjoy Costume Con, and they are in the minority at anime cons. Usually they are older than the average age of anime con attendees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsuleCorp View Post
The one thing you're never going to get around is the price. A lot of people still won't go to CC or WorldCon because of the price, and that's when you have to just shrug and hope that someday when they have disposable income they'll change their minds. You can't really get around that. But you can get around all the other stuff with just some education.
I agree a lot with this. It's definitely why I haven't attended World Con yet. It is becoming easier to attend as I get older and have more disposable income. I never would have been able to attend a convention in Arizona just a couple years ago, but I can next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddycat View Post
This discussion comes up just as I was saying maybe CC needs a "primer" to explain what to expect - possibly put it on the website, but also have it at the event. I can see where a lot of misconceptions could come from the lack of info going to the con for the first time.
I think this would be a terrific thing to have as a website, either on each individual Costume Con's website or on Costume-Con.com (which I agree looks dated).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddycat View Post
Having been on the "CC Virgins" panel, I can see we need to tailor the info a bit more. The best question we got was "What's the Friday Night Social about?" That made me realize we weren't doing the best at explaining what to expect BEFORE the convention. Stardust462 asked " "we think there needs to be some element to the con that makes new members feel like they're not outsiders, because sometimes I did feel that way (my shyness doesn't help with that either). I don't know if the CC Virgins panel on Friday covered anything like. Actually, we did. We also mentioned the fact that many of the other costumers who have been going for years are also very shy. If you have any suggestions on how to overcome that on both sides, please let us know.
Oh good. I was thinking of going to that panel, but it was my second CC and there was something else I wanted to attend instead, but I was curious as to what was discussed. I think having more information tailored towards new members is key. Maybe have something in the con suite a couple times during the weekend, like a "New Member/Veteran Member Meet-and-Greet." An explanation of the con suite may be needed too, because no anime cons that I know have them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddycat View Post
And I would hope that no one felt slighted, but it did occur to us there might have been one particular group who may not have been the friendliest. Fortunately, they are the minority, and are not representative of the whole. We are, on the whole, "aggresively friendly".
Anime Cons have some not friendly people too (**cough**cgl**cough**). But overall they are friendly people too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddycat View Post
Photographing in the halls. Unlike at anime cons, where most everyone knows the characters being portrayed, and the point is to "be" the character, CC is more about appreciating the costume itself. So yes, people will take pictures of you, but it's not a "photo mob experience". And you are treated as an equal. If you think you're being snubbed, it's actually more like people are just shy - they only open up on stage - or if you ask them about their costume.
I like it much more when someone asks me about my costume and how I made it and compliments me on it than if they ask me for my picture.
__________________
Next Convention: Dragon*Con
VP Northern Lights (New England ICG Chapter)
For all you everything you ever wanted to know about Anime Conventions:
AnimeCons.com ~ AnimeCons TV
stardust462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2011, 12:16 PM   #12
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair
 
supergeekgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddycat View Post

I'm not sure how people thought CC was a "cosplay-centric" conference - but it is a costume-centric event. And I would hope that no one felt slighted, but it did occur to us there might have been one particular group who may not have been the friendliest. Fortunately, they are the minority, and are not representative of the whole. We are, on the whole, "aggresively friendly".
I can see this from some of the fliers I've gotten about CC. Luckily, when I went to my first, I came from the world of sci-fi conventions and was asked to come specifically to do programming (and I only paid $20 as I was a student). Quite often, when I hear or see CC advertised, cosplay is mentioned. I can see why, too. There is some fantastic costuming talent in cosplay. BUT when they get there, the cosplay contingent is always pretty small, AND anything that LOOKS like cosplay is usually considered cosplay. I got some grief at CC28 from the F&SF workmanship judge over entering a cosplay costume. It wasn't anything like, "You shouldn't enter that sort of thing," but it was more of an "Oh, another cosplay. Let's see how accurate it is to the source material," and rather than listening to my descriptions of a hand-tied lace front on my wig and all of the tiny straps I made to hold my lacing together. That meant nothing because it was a "cosplay". Trixy mentioned a similar experience below, though I'm not sure what year she means.

So yeah, I see how they can hear "cosplayers welcome" and think they won't be alone... but quickly find that the most "respected" costumers (in their eyes and... in mine; sadly, I've tried very hard not to be called a cosplayer at CC because I felt I was being pigeon-holed when I was) don't do re-creations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddycat View Post
Photographing in the halls. Unlike at anime cons, where most everyone knows the characters being portrayed, and the point is to "be" the character, CC is more about appreciating the costume itself. So yes, people will take pictures of you, but it's not a "photo mob experience". And you are treated as an equal. If you think you're being snubbed, it's actually more like people are just shy - they only open up on stage - or if you ask them about their costume.
And we don't carry cameras, for the most part. Heck, I didn't even wear my badge. I never wear my badge at cons. It's always a pain when I realize I forgot it at my hotel two blocks away and have to go back to get it for an event. Yeah... off topic, but the point is that we trust the official photographers to get pictures of what we want to see online. I still occasionally set up photoshoots at CC with other costumers. Remember our "two Kaylees" moments at the Social?

And just to add one last thing - I love Costume-Con. For me, it's pretty relaxing and a chance to talk to people about one of my main forms of self-expression. Now, I'm ALSO one of those who likes to go around acting like my character at anime cons (and, well, at the social ^.~), but I thoroughly enjoy the process of MAKING costumes too, which is why Costume-Con interests me.
I go to about 12 cons a year, so variety is what I want. I go to Naka-Kon to meet people, Kawa Kon because I run it, Costume-Con to hang out with people who share the incredible hobby of making costumes (and researching them, which has become an obsession thanks to the historical masquerade), ACEN to pretend I'm a character from Metal Gear (cue people telling me that I need to grow up ^.~), Marcon for their awesome panel programming and to sing karaoke until 2 a.m. with a bunch of fellow nerds, OMGcon to run panels and advertise Kawa Kon, Archon to party and enter the masquerade, Bishie Con for the debauchery (and because it's the best f***ing con in the whole world!), and various specialized conventions for horror makeup, Harry Potter, etc. because it's great to meet people who share your niche interests.
__________________
Cons 2014 - Ahn!Con | Kawa Kon | Wizard World St. Louis | Costume-Con | Marcon | Cosplacon | Dragon*Con | Archon | Chicago TARDIS
In Progress- Cecil from Welcome to Night Vale | Jonathan Strange from Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell | Madeline Westen from Burn Notice
Misha's Costumes in Progress- Mr Norrell from Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!

Last edited by supergeekgirl : 05-13-2011 at 12:44 PM.
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2011, 01:25 PM   #13
Gravely
Registered User
 
Gravely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 183
I'd like to see the 'my first costumecon' ribbons, buttons, or whatever they were,
re-enstated. A lot of good was done the few years they used them

Nora is correct, the CON in costume con, was originally, ans still technically IS for conference, not convention. This is a teaching weekend, with amazing competitions

fannish masquerades, in my opinion, need to have a discussion about who's responsable for ''looking like the source material" the stage judges, or workmanship. personally, I want workmanship to be about technique, as it levels the playing field between re creation and original costumes.
I have judged workmanship twice at CC and was not given much source matirial to look at, and I was fine with that . I wanna look to see if its made well, just like any costume

at CC, an anime costume on stage, is a recreation, no diiff than starwars, or LOTR or anything else. and recreations have always done very well at CC. a good costume is a good costume
__________________

Gravely
owner of Castle Blood the most interactive, costume friendly haunted house anywhere.
Co-Chair Costume-Con 27 ( 2009) Baltimore,Maryland
Cosplay Guest of Honor, Anime North, Toronto, May 2009,2010
founding president NJ/NY chapter ICG
2004 recipient ICG Lifetime Achievement Award
http://www.facebook.com/gravely.maccabre
Gravely is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2011, 02:19 PM   #14
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair
 
supergeekgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,497
I think, personally, re-creations seem to be better served in the historical because of the close attention paid to source material and research. Many of us do as much research for our media re-creations as historical re-creations. Is it strange that I prefer the historical masquerade overall? Some part of me is itching for a few of my favorite things to enter the realm of "historical" because of when they were made so that we can present our research. We've already got a plan for 2015.
__________________
Cons 2014 - Ahn!Con | Kawa Kon | Wizard World St. Louis | Costume-Con | Marcon | Cosplacon | Dragon*Con | Archon | Chicago TARDIS
In Progress- Cecil from Welcome to Night Vale | Jonathan Strange from Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell | Madeline Westen from Burn Notice
Misha's Costumes in Progress- Mr Norrell from Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2011, 02:47 PM   #15
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict
 
Sarcasm-hime's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 5,258
So, any suggestions on what exactly should be included in this proposed 'primer' (besides what has been discussed above)? I'm working on the CC32 website and was thinking of something very similar, a "It's my first CC, what should I expect?".
__________________
COSTUME-CON 35 - 2017

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!
***


the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 PM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.