Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Otakuthon

Unread 05-13-2011, 07:49 AM   #1
Nefer
Silver fox

Otakuthon's Cosplay Chess 2011

(Copy/Paste from the official thread on the Otakuthon forum):
Would you like to see your favorite characters battle it out with each other? With Cosplay Chess, this is now possible! No one knows what to expect as the two chess players manoeuvre human pieces across a giant chessboard. For this sixth year at Otakuthon, the theme will be "Humans Vs. Non-Humans".

TIME: SUNDAY at 1:30PM (pieces, players and staff need to be there at 1PM)

Cosplay Chess Rules
1. Entries can be from any source (manga, video games, original). The same costume may be worn for Cosplay Chess and the Masquerade.
2. This event is first-come, first-served. The sooner you register, the more likely you are to get the spot that you want.
3. You need to be pre-registered for Otakuthon to participate in Cosplay Chess. Your pre-registration number will be asked to ensure that all participants are in registered.
4. Costumes do not have to be made by the cosplayer.
5. All costumes must be appropriate for the general public. We reserve the right to cancel any entry which does not follow this rule. All costumes must conform to Con Rules and Policies and all weapons must conform to convention Weapons Policy.
6. Participants under the age of 18 must have a waiver form signed by their parents or legal guardian. You may obtain this waiver by emailing the Cosplay Chess Director at cosplaychess@otakuthon.com.
7. Participants must have an "attack" scene and a "death" scene ready prior to the game. For each scene, participants may have other people to help out; you must however, inform the Cosplay Chess Director beforehand.
8. No props or stage accessories which scatter will be allowed. This means no confetti, no fake blood, no rose petals, or anything else that might disrupt anyone's footing.
9. You will have access to a sound system to play music as well as a microphone during your "attack" and "death" scenes.
10. Participants must attend the Cosplay Chess meeting before the match. Important details that all participants will need to know will be covered during this time. This will help prevent some chaos from occurring during the match. This meeting is usually held 1 hour prior to the match.
11. This is an act, after all, so NO attacks that can hurt other cosplayers or damage their costumes will be tolerated. Please be considerate of the others involved.
12. An image of your character must be provided with your entry form. Don't forget to include your real name, email address, and the series from which your character originates from when you apply. Also, please indicate if you would like to be in the Human or the Non-Human team, as well as the position you would like to play.
13. When you register, you are committing yourself to participate. If you happen to be unavailable, it is your responsibility to write an email to the Cosplay Chess Director. An unjustified absence at the game will result in your exclusion for the next year from the Cosplay Chess game.
14. The Cosplay Chess Director must be informed of any email exchanged between participants (event planning, discussion about the game, etc.). Any deviation from this will lead to the exclusion of persons at fault.
15. The Cosplay Chess Director reserves the right to choose your final position on the chess board.

How to Participate
Note: You must be registered for the convention before you apply.

To be a chess piece
Participants in the chess match will be chosen from amongst the convention attendees.
No knowledge of how to play chess is required; the two chess players will direct your movements. If you are interested in participating, you must submit your application to the Cosplay Chess Director. Registration for Cosplay Chess is first-come, first-serve. Be sure to read the Cosplay Chess Rules before submitting your application. The registration begins June 14th. Your registration must be sent before July 15th, 2011.
IMPORTANT: Please note that this event will be taking place on Sunday morning. When applying, please be sure that you will be able to be there early.

How to register
Write an email to cosplaychess@otakuthon.com with the following information:
Email:
Pre-registration number:
Character:
Originating Series:
Position:
Team:
Special attack:
Death scene:
Please do not forget to attach an image of your character in the email.

Want to Help Out?
You can also volunteer to help for the Cosplay Chess. Just send an email to the Cosplay Chess Director at cosplaychess@otakuthon.com.

Special Attacks
In addition to the thirty-two pieces on the board, Cosplay Chess also has special attacks whereby one character calls on another from back stage to help in combat. Examples of special attacks in use: Sakura (Cardcaptor Sakura) summoning Kero-chan, or Naruto (Naruto) doing Kage-Bunshin no Jitsu and having other Narutos rush on stage. If you have a character whom you think would make a good special attack or if you have a second person willing to cosplay as an appropriate character for your special attack, you can apply as a special attack by writing to our Cosplay Chess Director.
Also, remember that you’ll need an attack scene and a death scene. An example of a death scene would be Cloud picking up Aeris’ body after she died. Try to plan at least one of each. You’ll be contacted by the Cosplay Chess Director to discuss your plans.

-----------------------------------------
For more specific information, you can look here:
Official website:
www.otakuthon.com

Cosplay Chess information:
http://www.otakuthon.com/2011/events/cosplay_chess/

Official thread (at the otakuthon forum, warning: french may occur):
http://forums.otakuthon.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6087

2013 cosplay:
Ike(SSBB) || Maria(SotN) || Rosa(FF4) || Sesshomaru(IY) || Setzer(FF6)
2014 Convention cosplay:
Caterina(TB) || Elsa(Frozen) || Firion(FF2/DFF) || Gakupo(Voc.Venomania) || Ryuuki(Sai.Mon.)
Future (2015 conventions):
Dragoon-Elezen(FF14) || Eirika(Fire Emblem:Awakening) || Erza(Fairy Tail)

Last edited by Nefer : 07-11-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Nefer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-15-2011, 09:50 PM   #2
Shouri no Hana
Dragoon Wannbe

God, I do. I was gonna sign up for AN, but everything was so last minute for me I missed it.

I won't miss it this year. (But I don't understand French -.-)

Commander Shepard (ME3 - Sentinel) Progress:80%
Commander Shepard (ME - Infiltrator) Progress:15%

Shouri no Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2011, 10:58 PM   #3
Nefer
Silver fox

You don't have to worry about the french, some players only talk english, some only french, and some both, we always have both languages used at the meetup before the game, and the game is pretty much billingual as well ^^

2013 cosplay:
2014 Convention cosplay:
Caterina(TB) || Elsa(Frozen) || Firion(FF2/DFF) || Gakupo(Voc.Venomania) || Ryuuki(Sai.Mon.)
Unread 05-16-2011, 08:43 PM   #4
MDA
Destiny Productions

I still don't know about doing the cosplay chess. I'd love to participate, but whether I'll play for the human or non-human side I don't know.
Madness of Duke Venomania Kaito Shion (Vocaloid) [70%] | Blake Belladonna (RWBY) [100%] | God Tier Jake English (Homestuck) [100%] | Nightie Grell Sutcliff (Kuroshihtsuji) [100%] | Condesce (Homestuck) [100%]

2014 Cons/Events:
Too many events for 2013, to see the full list please visit here: MDA's Schedule

Facebook | deviantART
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2011, 09:18 PM   #5
Shouri no Hana
Dragoon Wannbe

My friend was part of it years ago, but I just never remembered in time to register myself. If I do I'll probably be human (gonna register as Lightning Farron).

Unread 05-17-2011, 06:19 AM   #6
FallenWingsHeal

I am totally in again for this year! Just waiting for the information to sign-up to be posted!
FallenWingsHeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 11:44 AM   #7
Nefer
Silver fox

It is FINALLY Open! The website was bypass and the info is on the Otakuthon forum, I have copy paste the main info on the first post, but the ansers/replies part shall be next to this post (sorry, too big for coscom apparently).

EDIT: I'll update whenever cosplay.com let me post another thread O_O

2013 cosplay:
2014 Convention cosplay:

Last edited by Nefer : 06-14-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Unread 06-14-2011, 11:59 AM   #8
Nefer
Silver fox

Test Try
Apparently coscom hates me right now, sorry, I can't post the 'questions/answers' part, go look here to see them:
http://forums.otakuthon.com/viewtopi...104784#p104784

Also, the info was finally updated on the main convention website, so here's the official page with all the information:
http://www.otakuthon.com/2011/events/cosplay_chess/

Last edited by Nefer : 06-17-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Unread 06-14-2011, 05:22 PM   #9
FallenWingsHeal

Just sent my information in! Only thing I was unable to provide was an image of my character, due to it being an Original Character. A Steampunk-style AlBhed engineer.
Unread 06-14-2011, 06:15 PM   #10
Shouri no Hana
Dragoon Wannbe

Arghhhh my friend have I haven't drawn up Dragoon Fang yet would I be able to give a description and say image to be emailed on a later date?

Unread 06-14-2011, 09:47 PM   #11
Nefer
Silver fox

@FallenWingsHeal: You can always send an image of an AlBhed, and and image of a Steampunk costume, and say it's a mixt of both ^^

@Shouri no Hana: I think it would be fine, but to be sure just send a pic of normal Fang, and a pic of a dragoon (you can always go with Kain even though it won't be the same, but it still gives an idea), and say it's Fang dragoon style, lol.

I'll send a post on the official thread asking if it's ok just to be sure, and I can also send a PM to Kat in case you don't have a Otakuthon forum account ^^

2013 cosplay:
2014 Convention cosplay:
Unread 06-14-2011, 09:53 PM   #12
Shouri no Hana
Dragoon Wannbe

@Nefer: I did send off an application e-mail detailing that it was Fang dressed in traditional dragoon armor under the context of Dark Dragoon, for the life of me I didn't think to include an image of Fang herself.

I can just resend my form, I'm seeing the artist who's doing up my Dragoon Fang tomorrow, but I know I won't be getting it done tomorrow. Argh, I messed up.

Unread 06-14-2011, 10:24 PM   #13
Nefer
Silver fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shouri no Hana View Post
@Nefer: I did send off an application e-mail detailing that it was Fang dressed in traditional dragoon armor under the context of Dark Dragoon, for the life of me I didn't think to include an image of Fang herself.

I can just resend my form, I'm seeing the artist who's doing up my Dragoon Fang tomorrow, but I know I won't be getting it done tomorrow. Argh, I messed up.
Well, I think it will be fine, but ya, if you want to be sure you can always resend another application, or well, just foward your own email to them again and add at the beginning that you forgot to add a pic of Fang herself, and just renote that it's Dark Dragoon Fang, therefore not exactly the same picture BUT the same character anyway... Though don't worry, you didn't mess up, lol, and I'm sure Amoe (one of the player) will understand your character, as for Mao-chan (the other player) I'm sure she will too as she did cosplay from FF13 before too ^^

2013 cosplay:
2014 Convention cosplay:
Unread 06-14-2011, 10:38 PM   #14
Shouri no Hana
Dragoon Wannbe

I'll do that then, thanks.

Unread 06-15-2011, 06:46 AM   #15
FallenWingsHeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefer View Post
@FallenWingsHeal: You can always send an image of an AlBhed, and and image of a Steampunk costume, and say it's a mixt of both ^^

I'll send a post on the official thread asking if it's ok just to be sure, and I can also send a PM to Kat in case you don't have a Otakuthon forum account ^^
I just sent a forwarded copy with a photo of an AlBhed and a shot of my mechanical arm that will be part of the costume, also mentioned the engineer part. Hopefully that will help.