Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Tutorials

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-17-2011, 12:55 AM   #46
MiraThePanda
Certified Procrastinator

Well, if the characters are known for any certain poses then try to do those but with the limited amount of information you gave.. I can't suggest that much.
But, if it is a male character then you could always stick your hands in your pockets and smile.. as for a girl it really depends on how she acts.
Sorry for lack of suggestions.

Costumes I'm working on:
Lucius Malfoy(Student)
Puppy Tobi
MiraThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-17-2011, 02:46 AM   #47
Blackstar96
GREATEST ASSASIN EVER!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraThePanda View Post
Well, if the characters are known for any certain poses then try to do those but with the limited amount of information you gave.. I can't suggest that much.
But, if it is a male character then you could always stick your hands in your pockets and smile.. as for a girl it really depends on how she acts.
Sorry for lack of suggestions.
yeah, its a pretty neutral character unless he's near a girl. then he freaks out.

im talking about yukinari sasaki from girls bravo (<<----- profile pic ^_^)

he's scared of girls, and i can relate, im pretty much the same as him personality wise.
Blackstar96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2011, 11:50 AM   #48
Eriol
Chiaroscuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackstar96 View Post
yeah, its a pretty neutral character unless he's near a girl. then he freaks out.

im talking about yukinari sasaki from girls bravo (<<----- profile pic ^_^)

he's scared of girls, and i can relate, im pretty much the same as him personality wise.
If your friend is doing a female character, then pose together and have your character freak out while the other character look at him funny.

2012 Convention Schedule
Steampunk Worlds Fair | Otakon
Eriol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2011, 05:12 PM   #49
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

A basic pose like arms crossed or hands on hips (Maybe not this one for a guy, I'm not sure if that's considered to be more of a feminine posture, not saying there's anything wrong with guys doing it though) always works well when you can't think of a character specific pose and don't have a prop to make use of.

Just try not to just stand there, that's what I did at first and I could visibly tell that people were disappointed with me for not posing but I didn't get it at first ^^;

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Future Cosplays (not working on yet):
Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi
ToroSonyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 09:16 PM   #50
thatgalsagenius
Tsuna's left hand lady

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=196625&page=34

One page on here is dedicated to posing. Sorry, cbb to find it now but it's really helped! 8D
Cosplay blog: http://tsubameryuucosplay.blogspot.com.au/

Accounts
Deviantart: http://thatgirlsagenius.deviantart.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/thatgirlsgenius
Cosplaylab.com: thatgirlsagenius
lolitafashion.org: thatgirlsagenius2012
thatgalsagenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2011, 01:25 PM   #51
arockalyptica
Amature costumer

I got this wonderful picture of 2 KH cosplayers facing eachother in their 'battle' poses. If your charcters have something like that, try that. Looking up other cosplayers on google is also a great help, because you gt to see how other people have interpreted the character.
Unread 12-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #52
Tofu Delivery

The easiest method I found was to print out pictures of the character in their favorite pose and practice on it before a con.

Also watching the anime helps too; pausing and rewinding it.

If it's a video game, do the same thing but watch how the characters interact and picture out a favorite pose/finishing battle move/etc. to do in photos and stick with that.
Tofu Delivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2011, 09:58 PM   #53
ChibiBel
Jax Mari

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiKora View Post
It sounds dumb, but I usually do research for posing. Google image them a ton! Maybe even sketch down some poses they're doing so you can practice!
SAME, I do HOURS of research on not only google, but DA, here, curecos, ANYWHERE there would be cosplay pictures. I have a huge folder on my computer of reference pictures for cosplays, not only for looking at the costume itself but to remember later for posing.

Do your research when you cosplay ANY character. Whenever I go to a con in a cosplay, when someone stops me for a picture, I want to brighten up that picture and make it special, not just stand there, smile, do a peace sign, or look like I'm constipated like alot of people tend to do in pictures XD especially since I'm very shy, just be in character. Learn their personality. Do they fight? Do they flirt? What are their hobbies? Are they shy or outgoing? Are they quiet or loud? Look up photos of the character itself, watch the anime and look for certain poses or moves they tend to do, and mimic them.
Research is always key for ANY cosplay, not just making them, but for pictures and posing.

Good luck!

I'm in love with my dork

"Cosplay the characters not because you look like them, but because you love them"
ChibiBel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 08:08 AM   #54
Sorasflame

Posing for a shy character without looking uncomfortable?

So, in 2 weeks, I am going to a convention as Fluttershy from My Little Pony.
She's a very shy, quiet character, but how do I pose as her without looking like I'm frightened? I know how bad it looks in cosplay pictures to look like you're uncomfortable and would rather not be photographed. I love taking pictures and I love being in them, but hooooooow can I do this? D:
Sorasflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 09:49 AM   #55
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

Practice your facial expressions and body language in a mirror, and/or have someone take some practice photos so you can really analyze what works and what to avoid.

Look at some images of the character you are playing, better yet, print them on paper and even make a scrap-book of these facial expressions. Many of the expressions might look silly on a real person, but some of them might look great. That is often the creative process necessary to get it right.
That is how I usually get images I am proud of. Repeat until you get it right!

Last edited by brucer007 : 03-21-2012 at 09:59 AM.
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2012, 02:43 AM   #56
tfcreate
Behind the lens since 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorasflame View Post
So, in 2 weeks, I am going to a convention as Fluttershy from My Little Pony.
She's a very shy, quiet character, but how do I pose as her without looking like I'm frightened? I know how bad it looks in cosplay pictures to look like you're uncomfortable and would rather not be photographed. I love taking pictures and I love being in them, but hooooooow can I do this? D:
This is a GREAT question.
Try to mimic the expression of the character.
Shy characters seldom look directly into the camera, they usually look slightly to the right of the camera, but slightly to the front, and with just the tiniest smile.
Have a look at pictures of toddlers and younger kids to observe their expressions.

Rules for life: Rule #7
Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are.
Anime Midwest Anime Chicago Chicago Comicon
Anime Iowa
tfcreate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #57
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

For the pose, you could try maybe bringing your hands forward and sorta holding them, maybe bringing in your feet to look more timid? I'm not very good at describing but I hope you understand what I mean... ><

As for the expression, it looks like you've already gotten enough good advice on that so I'll leave it.

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Future Cosplays (not working on yet):
Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi
ToroSonyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2012, 10:50 AM   #58
Flombone-Emi
Witch of Literature

In general, shyer/female characters tend to attempt to make their bodies smaller, while boisterous/male (the female/male thing is generalizing, but if you're unsure XD) characters tend to make their bodies bigger. Keep your legs relatively close together - point your toes IN rather than out, arms within the area of your body (rather than spread out/above your head, etc.

Also I would recommend looking at pictures of other fluttershy cosplayers to see what you like and don't like for pictures!
Flombone-Emi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #59
LycacthropesUN
Enemy of Thy Enemy

Ah I'm planning on doing a Len cosplay (which I still have to start, eheh ^^; ) for animeNEXT this summer. I don't have a Rin to pose with and I know from experience that I do not photograph well. Most of Len's poses are with Rin too :/ I'm just lost for poses and ideas...
LycacthropesUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #60
Yet Another
Forever Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LycacthropesUN View Post
Most of Len's poses are with Rin too :/ I'm just lost for poses and ideas...
I feel you, my main cosplay has just under three minutes of screen time in the anime and three panels in the manga. So when it comes to posing, I just go off of fan art and other cosplayers. Maybe you could do that, and experiment a little with the poses Len does with Rin, making them more single-cosplayer friendly?

Skyrim Casual: 30 % Done!
Kaylee Frye (Firefly): 40% Done!
Jem Carstairs, Oswin Oswald, Magnus Bane, Pikachu, Trainer White: Done!
Yet Another is offline   Reply With Quote