Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Steampunk

Unread 05-17-2011, 11:58 AM   #1
Seiten Taisei
Mama Witch

How far...

How far is to far in Steampunk?

What I am trying to say is, I have someone in my group that loved to B**ch every step of the way to get it up in order to share with the rest of the world. I have members in my group that are die-hard Punkers and has been doing it longer then I have.

However, I have seen people it more of a Science Fiction aspect then the fashion aspect. Would it be two much to go towards the supernatural aspect of Science Fiction?
I mean, I looked around, read up on different Steam Punk movies and what not. Noting that there are things from otherworldly (aliens) to supernatural of Van Hellsing (which is stated to be such). This including prosthetic from needed to fashion.

So would it be too much to have something of the supernatural in aspects of Werewolves, vampires (non-sparkle kind that is) and demons/nymphs?

I mean... there already is trans-dimensional traveling...

~{Seiten Taisei's Deviant Art}~
~{Founder of SoS Cosplay/SoS Outfitters}~
~{Owner and Queen of Thieves of Steam Paradigm}~
~Future Cosplay~

Banshee Queen of the Forsaken, The Dark Lady Sylvanas Windrunner- 20% Done
Not the Action Figure Version.
The Lich King, Arthas Menethil, Crown Prince of Lordaeron,- 10% Done
For my husband.

Seiten Taisei is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-17-2011, 07:16 PM   #2
Shine-Chan
Happy Little Tv

There have been quite a few vampire hunters and there are a few groups of ghost hunters too of you look. The occult actually was quite popular during the Victorian age so they tend to be popular in steampunk as well.
Shine-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 07:36 PM   #3
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

Have a little confidence. Think you can make it work? You're almost certainly right.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 10:55 PM   #4
Ironhill

There's nothing wrong with adding the occult/ horror to steampunk. Vampire and werewolf hunters have been around for a while. There must be something for them to hunt. I think the trick will be combining the horror and steampunk aspects.
Ironhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 11:11 PM   #5
Seiten Taisei
Mama Witch

Right now, the generic idea with my sp-persona was curse by a voodoo priestess (living near New Orleans and down the bayou, it would be a common thing to have voodoo magic in occult/horror). So every month she disappears from the guild for two to three days and shift into a werewolf (following lunar phase and all). Which if you look at it now, she would be gone.

So that is the general Idea, I am still sketching the idea and make a mascot suit as realistic to a wolf as possible, with also human like qualities as well.

~{Seiten Taisei's Deviant Art}~
~{Founder of SoS Cosplay/SoS Outfitters}~
~{Owner and Queen of Thieves of Steam Paradigm}~
~Future Cosplay~

Banshee Queen of the Forsaken, The Dark Lady Sylvanas Windrunner- 20% Done
Not the Action Figure Version.
The Lich King, Arthas Menethil, Crown Prince of Lordaeron,- 10% Done
For my husband.

Seiten Taisei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 09:03 AM   #6
Blood Elf Rouge

I love the fact that you are integrating the Southern lore (and still practiced) Voodoo in your idea. It is an interesting and new twist to werewolves. Most that you read is a twist of being bitten with the "venom". Which I never understood how wolves have venom...
I look forward to see your transformation from normal to wolf like.
That is all you need to know.
Blood Elf Rouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2011, 07:36 AM   #7
Kylar
That Guy

I have seen punk orcs, star wars characters etc. So, a werewolf should be no problem at all. I'd be interested to see how you were going to do it.

Good luck ^_^
Kylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2011, 12:57 AM   #8
Annwyn
Daisy Viktoria

I think it's a great idea! I've seen some very successful supernatural/horror influence in steampunk styling, and I think your costume is a wonderful concept. Good luck!
Unread 06-26-2011, 04:49 AM   #9
quickfire

Thumbs up

Go for it! Steampunk doesn't have a lot of cannon to draw from but I use the science fiction and historical backgrounds to justify my choices, if I feel the need to justify. The supernatural is very traditional in steampunk, both from science fiction and historical back grounds. In the world of fiction people think of Jewels Vern but also HP Lovecraft in his writings there are aliens, evil sea creates, and it is always a scientist who saves the day, kind of. Of course Poe can be drawn on for more super natural leanings. Form a historical perspective the Victorian era was a time when people believed in all kinds of mystical and supernatural phenomenon. Many scientists of the time believe that they would be able to use science to talk with the dead, bring people back or answer the great questions of religion. So yeah go for a steampunk super natural thing. Also check out these guys http://leagueofsteam.com/news/ and there are great steampunk forums on the steampunk empire and brass goggles, have fun!
quickfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 10:33 AM   #10
LadyAri13
Seeker

have been wondering the same thing. So glad u guys posted. Ive had a supernatural idea forming for a while but wasnt sure what the reception would b