Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 12-08-2015, 06:43 PM   #1
BlueLaguna88

First time Dyeing

Hi folks! This is my first time dyeing fabric and to make things more complicated I'm dying the canvas ammo pouch on the left so that it matches the olive drab color of the pouch on the right. The pouch to the left is a softer canvas than the one on the right. So any tips on safely dyeing the pouch? Thanks in advance!
BlueLaguna88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-09-2015, 08:20 AM   #2
Penlowe

What you are asking about is INCREDIBLY DIFFICULT. Because these two items already have color, and are likely different fiber content, the chances of success for a very experienced dyer are slim and none. And that isn't taking into consideration what they actually are, this answer applies to two tee shirts with color trying to be dyed the same color...

You might try watering down acrylic paint, to get them closer to the same color, but paint isn't reversible and on that texture it will be difficult at best.

my advice is keep shopping until you find pieces that match or live with these being slightly different.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2015, 10:32 AM   #3
BlueLaguna88

Ok thank you, I have spare pouch of the one on the left, I could experiment with acrylic paint, thank you
Unread 12-09-2015, 08:56 PM   #4
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

You can't dye the brown pouch to be green. Dye is not a magic paint bucket tool in Photoshop. You can go from green to brown, but not brown to green.

You have to either:
- Paint the brown pouch with an opaque fabric paint that you have mixed to match the green pouch as closely as possible
- Color the green pouch to match the brown pouch with either dye or Dye-na-Flow flowable paint (but as Penlowe said, your chances of making an exact match are very low, AND with dye, it depends on what the fiber content of the pouches are....assuming you know what the fiber content of the pouch even is and that there's nothing in the pouch that will resist dye or melt)
- Buy a new pouch that matches the color you actually want

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2015, 09:19 PM   #5
BlueLaguna88

I have a few spare pouches of the one on the left, unfortunately for my particular cosplay that's the best looking pouch for the part I need. I'm gonna test with paint, thanks
Unread 12-10-2015, 10:34 PM   #6
Dictamnus Albus
visionary

i know this has no bearing on cosplay, but
in real life, the colour diferance is advantageous,

the purpose of camo other than the colour scheme being to blend with environment
is also to disrupt identifiable patterns

ie even if you look exactly like a tree trunk youll get picked off for being the only tree
with a green ring at waist hight

another option though, is to simply sew a cover over it in the colour you want
or make one
even though thier nylon,you can get wide straps in a pattern like they use for backpacks
and make a bag from those then dye that if needed
Dictamnus Albus is offline   Reply With Quote