Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 04-16-2015, 03:08 PM   #1
postscript

Help re: Detailing a Spandex Bodysuit.

Hello everyone!

I am working on a cosplay of Sasha Ivanoff of Anarchy reigns ( reference pictures here and here ).

While this is not my first time working with stretch fabric, it will be my first body-suit adventure. The armor, I will construct out of worbla or craft foam; the questions I have pertain more to how to construct the details on the bodysuit. Primarily, the white/silver front-panel that covers her breasts and runs down the center of her torso, and the 'webbing' of seams/piping that runs along the legs, arms, and sides of her suit.

At my disposal, I have a dress form and a silver spandex bodysuit. My plan right now is simply to cut the shapes for the front-panel out of a lighter spandex and pin & sew it onto the front of the bodysuit while it's on the dress form. For the webbed seams, however, I'm drawing a bit of a blank. The best I can think of is to make thin strips of silver spandex and top-stitch them onto the suit.

Does anyone have any suggestions about more efficient ways to attach these details (front panel, webbing) to the bodysuit? I am worried about puckering, or somehow messing up the stretch.

All feedback much appreciated. Thank you very much!

Unread 04-17-2015, 04:32 PM   #2
Penlowe

ooohhh.... nifty outfit and yes, definitely a challenge! the webbing to me looks more like raised areas as opposed to something dimensional applied on top. I'd probably experiment with cord or maybe strips of neoprene glued or sewn inside the suit. (or make a cuff that fits your leg out of spare spandex and experiment with that)
Unread 04-18-2015, 01:01 PM   #3
postscript

Oh, neoprene / cord on the inside is a good idea! You're right; it does look more like raised areas on the fabric than an overlay. Thank you!

My only worry is that it will need to be stitched rather than glued because of the fact that the bodysuit is spandex.

If indeed it's stitched, the only way I can think of to go about it is to turn the bodysuit inside-out on the dress form, and hand-stitch the strips to it -- but I feel as though that might just reveal rows of uneven, messy stitching once turned right side out again.