Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 40 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-09-2012, 08:39 AM   #31
Penlowe

I put my patterns in gallon sized zip lock baggies. It allows me to put the picture face out and squeeze the excess air out allowing me to cram more patterns into each bin. plastic zipper bags are acid free, unlike manilla envelopes. if you have patterns over 30 years old, acid free storage helps their longevity.

Once every ten years or so I buy a roll of 24" wide white butcher paper at Sam's. This gets used for 90% of my pattern tinkering as well as tons of other things. It's just thin enough I can trace through it with good light, but much more substantial than tissue.

One more hint: Sharpie bleeds through pattern tissue quite easily. When I need to copy a pattern piece or a section, I just trace straight over with Sharpie (usually a bright color that does not obscure the original pattern print). The bleed through onto my new pattern is sufficient to use.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #32
Luckifrog
Lucki

If you're not supposed to dry out the fabric by twisting, how do you take the water out? o3o;
Luckifrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2012, 11:12 AM   #33
Syagria
Imperatrix of Star + Wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckifrog View Post
If you're not supposed to dry out the fabric by twisting, how do you take the water out? o3o;
Squeeze the fabric as a bunch, but do not twist it. You can squeeze a pile of fabric to get excess water out without wringing it. After that, you will need to let it air-dry (this can take a day or two) or run it through a dryer.

Current Project: Star Trek Original Series Uniform!
Next Project: Original Creation for AB13
Most Recent Con: Nauticon 2012
Next Cons: PAX East, Anime Boston 2013
Syagria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2012, 04:13 PM   #34
Luckifrog
Lucki

Ah, okay. Thanks for clearing that up. ^^;
Luckifrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 08:50 PM   #35
rosie44442003
Just call me Rosie

your my hero!!!
Saturday-Leafa from Sword Art Online
Sunday-More Steampunk
rosie44442003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 08:18 PM   #36
CosplayJelly
The Greatest Jelly

hey i saw u at otakon in that cosplay from avatar the last airbender a while back
Miss Fortune (LoL)- 0% thinking
Tera Elin- 0% thinking
Hermione- 99% waiting for shipment to arrive
Conventions~
OtakonAnime USAKatsucon!
CosplayJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 10:46 AM   #37
ZombieSaber87

OTL Thank you so much for this
ZombieSaber87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #38
luckikitten
Nutella Dipper

Bless you for posting this!! I have a ton of patterns that I'm trying to familiarize myself with before starting. I've even bought some inexpensive muslin for a few test runs of certain patterns before moving on to the more expensive fabrics.

Animazement 2014:

Friday: Esmeralda (Hunchback of Notre Dame)
Saturday: Machi (Hunter x Hunter)
Sunday: Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony; Friendship Is Magic)
luckikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2012, 10:20 AM   #39
Vardonir
Random Lurker

I'm not sure if this belongs in this thread, but I guess it's worth a shot: Where do I get patterns, exactly? I can't buy anything online, and I looked around at the only fabric store in my area: nothing. Is there a website where I can download free patterns (for a jacket/coat with hood, specifically)? :[
Vardonir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2012, 03:15 PM   #40
Syagria
Imperatrix of Star + Wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vardonir View Post
I'm not sure if this belongs in this thread, but I guess it's worth a shot: Where do I get patterns, exactly? I can't buy anything online, and I looked around at the only fabric store in my area: nothing. Is there a website where I can download free patterns (for a jacket/coat with hood, specifically)? :[
It's not easy to find decent patterns, or patterns for complex items, for free online - if these things were widely available for free, professional pattern-makers would be driven out of business. Additionally, there is also the challenge of ensuring that online downloadable patterns print out correctly off the computer - and then you'll have to trim down, align, and tape together many sheets of paper to assemble the pattern, and then actually cut the pattern itself out.

My go-to source for most patterns is my local Joann's Fabric store. Hobby Lobby and Hancock's should also carry them (I've never been to either). Some super Walmarts still have a fabric and crafts section (many stores have done away with them), and they will stock some patterns as well. Additionally, all of the local independent fabric stores in my area stock patterns - they're not always in an obvious spot, and you might have to ask a salesperson where they are located, if they carry them.

If using a physical storefront isn't possible, or if they truly do not carry patterns, then yes, purchasing online through Joann's or other fabric chain store website, Amazon, Ebay, or directly from the manufacturer's online is the next best thing (some would say better than going to a physical store, since you don't even have to change out of your pajamas to get what you want!). You will need a PayPal account or a credit card, of course, and if you don't have access to either of these, you'll need to make friends with someone who does - ask friends, parents, relatives, neighbors - be sure you ca give them the money for your purchase up front so they don't think you'll skip out on your bill. For people in middle school or high school, make friends with the school's home economics teacher - usually sewing is part of that class, and the teacher may understand your dilemma and help you out. It may take a little leg work.

Otherwise, no, there isn't really some sort of magical central online repository for free patterns. You may be able to find a handful of homemade patterns for very simple items that some enthusiasts have made at home, but you'll have to spend some time with Google and digging through a lot of websites to find them.

Current Project: Star Trek Original Series Uniform!
Next Project: Original Creation for AB13
Most Recent Con: Nauticon 2012
Next Cons: PAX East, Anime Boston 2013
Syagria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 11:44 AM   #41
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vardonir View Post
Why can't you buy online? Is it a matter of not having a credit card or other means to pay? Or just that you don't know where to buy?

Online is the best place for me, straight from the manufacturer. It's cheaper than going to a store, and you can find crazy sales. (Recently bought some Vogue patterns off their site that are normally up to $40 for store retail price, but I got them for $3.99)

Burda.com has some free patterns, but I've never used them so I can't give a review.

Other option, though not as good, requires some fiddling and practice, is to go to the thrift store, find the style coat you want, then tear it apart at home to get the separate pieces.
dizzymonochrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #42
DeAnna Designs
Gypsy Dream Studios

Here's one:
http://kwiksew.mccall.com/k3297-prod...p?page_id=3044

I know that my local Walmart store has patterns and JoAnns has patterns that they regularly put on Super Sale. I never like to pay more than a buck for a pattern, unless it's really, really special or unique.
I am a professional costume designer so your project will be completed with the best details and materials possible for your budget. You will feel all powerful and fabulous wearing a Gypsy Dream Studios costume. It will fit you and be comfortable. Please check out some other costumes I've made here:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1023768600595.2004201.1416633832&type=1&l=b b156d1e1b

Thanks!
DeAnna
www.gypsydreamstudios.com
http://gypsydreamstudios.etsy.com
DeAnna Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #43
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

Comment on Part 1, #4 - not sure if someone has mentioned before, but that is true in JoAnn's in the States, but not at Fabricland. If you shop for patterns at Fabricland in Canada, in most cases you must ask an employee to retrieve the pattern from the cabinet for you. Only store employees have access to the cabinets. But they will let you take the envelope (empty) to the cutting table in order to get the right yardages.

Costume design and fabrication
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sector6labs

Tumblr: http://sector6labs.tumblr.com

Twitter: @sector6labs http://www.twitter.com/sector6labs
dizzymonochrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #44
Ichigogami
Strawberry paper...DEATH

Another good tip for copying patterns, especially going from patterns you don't want to cut, or if you have to use multiple size patterns to fit you

On the opposing side of your pattern (The back) trace out all marking lines that are on the front with a piece of wax based crayon

Make sure to mark all darts, dots, and etc. this will enable your pattern to copy more completely.

Then get some pattern paper or butcher paper or even art newsprint (the paper you can buy in pads at the art store, you could use old newspapers but the transfer may not be as clean and clear and some news print papers are temperature sensative)

After you have done these earlier steps, you put an iron on delicate or light heat, Dry iron

Place your pattern, Correct side up, back side facing your newsprint/other paper then take the iron and go over it, you can let it cool and then peel the top pattern off and you should have a copy you can chop up to your hearts content for modifying patterns and then your original that you don't have to worry about ruining.

Hope this helps anyone who is looking to make copies! ^_^
Unread 02-14-2013, 09:18 PM   #45
PalmTopTaiga
Priority mail

Thankyou!!! you are a godsend I have been trying to find how to use patterns everywhere online but no one explained well enough how to do the math part so again deepest thanks
PalmTopTaiga is offline   Reply With Quote