Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-28-2013, 11:34 PM   #46
jess.claflin

Wow! Thank you! this is so very helpful! I am using my first pattern currently for Fairy Tail's Lucy and so happy to come across this.
jess.claflin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-30-2013, 06:30 PM   #47
cosplaycalamity

I looked through the thread and noticed my favourite 'copy' method hadn't been listed.

You know those plastic dollar store table cloths? Those. In a light colour, once you lay them over your pattern, you can just trace over them using a sharpie or pen. then you can make your adjustments (if you're one size on top, and another on bottom) as you go, and use the plastic version for future projects.

Also, this might just be personal preference, but I find Simplicity patterns easiest to understand when it comes to instructions. I was using a Burda pattern once and eventually gave up on the instructions completely and just started putting pieces together.

======= In Progress =======
Kureha - Shining Wind: 10% (drafting)
Khaleesi - A Song of Ice and Fire: 80% (wig and finishing)
cosplaycalamity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 12:55 AM   #48
ViaSapientis

Hello everyone. First of all, I'd like to say THANK YOU for making this thread. I only wish I had found it a few days earlier -- before I spent hours looking on google and trying to educate myself.

(Edit: removed my question. Figured it out. Thanks!)

Last edited by ViaSapientis : 07-28-2013 at 04:43 PM.
ViaSapientis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #49
rebel-cosplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosplaycalamity View Post
I looked through the thread and noticed my favourite 'copy' method hadn't been listed.

You know those plastic dollar store table cloths? Those. In a light colour, once you lay them over your pattern, you can just trace over them using a sharpie or pen. then you can make your adjustments (if you're one size on top, and another on bottom) as you go, and use the plastic version for future projects.

Also, this might just be personal preference, but I find Simplicity patterns easiest to understand when it comes to instructions. I was using a Burda pattern once and eventually gave up on the instructions completely and just started putting pieces together.
I have a couple of basic go-to patterns that I do this with ALL the time. Can't tell you how many times I've used the same pattern pieces and copy-traced them to edit into the proper shapes. (I figure I know the original fits the way I want and has seams where they go, so why not milk it!)

Never thought to use table clothes though. I have a roll of drafting/tracing paper that's slightly heavier weight than pattern paper, so the pieces are easier to coordinate when pinning and cutting etc.
rebel-cosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #50
LoftwingQueen
Being unique is a gift

Hi! New cosplayer here. I have a pattern that has a fold line on it to shorten the pattern, but when I fold it, the sides are all uneven.
Oh and BTW, this is McCalls pattern 3538. It is a floor length dress as well.
So the main issue is that the dress kinda widens towards the bottom and narrows at the waist, so when I fold it, the cutting lines end up all uneven at the sides. Is it supposed to kinda crumple the pattern in the middle to keep the sides straight?
I'm so confused! Please help!

Deviant Art: LoftwingQueen
Facebook: ME
Cosplay Site: LoftwingQueen Cosplay
Etsy Store

Attended Conventions: Colossalcon 2013, Ohayocon 2014, Zipcon 2014, Colossalcon 2014
Upcoming Conventions: Ramencon 2014? Ohayocon 2015
LoftwingQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #51
ElegantVampire
Elegant Insanity

I've been using Simplicity patterns and this is the first time I haven't used one and it wants me to do tissue fitting with the pieces before I even cut out the fabric. It's confusing me and terrifying me. Mostly because I have no clue what to do or why I should do it and I'm just slightly lazy and don't want to do it. But is it even necessary? Please help, I need to make two of these by Halloween I've been putting it off and just realized all of this today. DX

Cosplays done:
Crona (Soul Eater)
Liz (Soul Eater)
Cosplays in progress:
ChristmasStuck! Terezi.
Alois Trancy (Kuroshitsuji 2) ON HOLD
Hopefully future cosplays:
Peppermint Butler(Adventure Time)
Komaeda(Super Dangan Ronpa 2)
Haruharu Haruko(Fooly Cooly)
Crona Kimono version(Soul Eater)
Synchronicity Kagamine Rin(Vocaloid)
Snake(Black Butler)
Gargoyle(My Demonic Ghost)
Haku(Naruto)
Judal(Magi)
Sayaka Miki(PMMM)
Clear(DRAMAtical Murder)
Garry(Ib)
Yui(SAO)
ElegantVampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 01:48 AM   #52
LoftwingQueen
Being unique is a gift

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElegantVampire View Post
I've been using Simplicity patterns and this is the first time I haven't used one and it wants me to do tissue fitting with the pieces before I even cut out the fabric. It's confusing me and terrifying me. Mostly because I have no clue what to do or why I should do it and I'm just slightly lazy and don't want to do it. But is it even necessary? Please help, I need to make two of these by Halloween I've been putting it off and just realized all of this today. DX
I have this really great sewing guide called The Complete Photo Guide to Sewing, and if might help you if you got this book.
http://www.amazon.com/Singer-Complet.../dp/1589234340
It has lots of pictures and even a section on pattern fitting with the paper I think.
Hope this helps!

Deviant Art: LoftwingQueen
Facebook: ME
Cosplay Site: LoftwingQueen Cosplay
Etsy Store

Attended Conventions: Colossalcon 2013, Ohayocon 2014, Zipcon 2014, Colossalcon 2014
Upcoming Conventions: Ramencon 2014? Ohayocon 2015
LoftwingQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #53
Syagria
Imperatrix of Star + Wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoftwingQueen View Post
Hi! New cosplayer here. I have a pattern that has a fold line on it to shorten the pattern, but when I fold it, the sides are all uneven.
Oh and BTW, this is McCalls pattern 3538. It is a floor length dress as well.
So the main issue is that the dress kinda widens towards the bottom and narrows at the waist, so when I fold it, the cutting lines end up all uneven at the sides. Is it supposed to kinda crumple the pattern in the middle to keep the sides straight?
I'm so confused! Please help!
Hello! Sorry, I actually haven't been active on here for a few months, so apologies for the delay in the reply.

This isn't an uncommon problem, if if I understand your description properly - that when you use the shorten/lengthen lines, the edges of the pattern don't perfectly align.

Don't crumple the pattern in the middle - it will throw off other parts of the pattern. Fold the pattern neatly along the lines to shorten it to the length you need, and tape or pin these folds in place so they don't shift or wiggle on you. Then lay out your pattern piece as usual on the fabric - and yes, those edges might not perfectly align. That's ok - but they should be only off by a little bit. This is a situation where I'd definitely advise tracing the pattern until you've dealt with solving this issue once or twice.

Trace around the whole pattern as normal, making sure to transfer all the markings and alignment notches. When you get to the places (there should be just 2 of them) where the pattern edges don't perfectly line up, pick up your chalk about an inch or less before the misalignment, and start drawing again about the same distance on the other side of the lengthen/shorten line. When you take your pattern piece away, you'll have almost the entire piece laid out, minus a short span of about 1-2 inches at the two sides where the adjustments were made.

Grab a ruler or a straight edge - for just about all patterns, lengthening and shortening lines are placed where there are straight or nearly straight edges of the pattern. Use your ruler as a guide to trace in two new pattern lines to bridge the two gaps in the pattern tracing. This will only make very minimal changes to the garment, and will smooth out the shape to make the piece ready for sewing. Hope this helps!

Current Project: Star Trek Original Series Uniform!
Next Project: Original Creation for AB13
Most Recent Con: Nauticon 2012
Next Cons: PAX East, Anime Boston 2013
Syagria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #54
Syagria
Imperatrix of Star + Wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElegantVampire View Post
Honestly, I rarely do this, partly because I'm kinda lazy, too, but also because I've found it to be more trouble than its worth.

For example, most garments (or the easier ones, anyway) are symmetrical: two sleeves that are identical, a back that is either made of 2 identical pieces or one piece cut on a fold, ditto for the front, or two identical pant legs - pattern makers won't waste paper and ink printing 2 patterns for the same piece. They'll just say, "cut 2 out of fabric" or "cut one on fold." So if you only have a pattern for half a back, a sleeve, and half a front, you can't pin that together into a whole shirt, and fitting half a shirt is pretty pointless.

So the only way to get this to work is to get a big sheet of paper, trace all the patterns to make duplicate copies, cut those out, and then pin all the pattern pieces together with enough pins that the pieces make some semblance of a garment - but doing that is time-consuming, and puts a lot of unnecessary holes in the pattern, and then the pattern rips, and then rage rage rage. And most of the time, the exercise isn't even that useful - it ends up feeling like a lot of extra work for little benefit.

I find that if I am unsure enough of the pattern (either it's new, or has odd shapes) that I am hesitant about how it will fit me, then what is <i>more</i> useful is to get some cheap scrap material (like cotton/muslin) and make a quick mock up. This means cutting all the pattern pieces out of the cheap material and sewing it together and trying it on to check for sizing and fit, and is a more useful use of your time and effort. It's usually a pretty quick process since you don't have to worry about finishing seams or hems or anything like that, and it saves a <i>world</i> of grief than using your expensive apparel fabric and discovering later that your garment is too small.

As people get more experienced with these techniques, they may opt to use something more similar to their final apparel fabric than light, cheap cotton, since the traits of the material can have such an impact on how a garment fits, drapes, or wears.

Current Project: Star Trek Original Series Uniform!
Next Project: Original Creation for AB13
Most Recent Con: Nauticon 2012
Next Cons: PAX East, Anime Boston 2013
Syagria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #55
Bisected8
panificium delicatum sum

Sorry to ask an odd question, but; could a pattern for a woman's jacket be adapted into a men's jacket if the measurements are right, or wouldn't that work?

I've been wanting to have a go at sewing a jacket for a while, but men's jacket pattens seem to be a bit thin on the ground. O_o

To do; Dark Link (70%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
Bisected8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #56
Kelley
Devil of Details

It would be a gigantic pain and a lot of work and probably easier to just make it from scratch. Though I guess it depends on what you mean by "jacket". I'm thinking suit jacket - but another kind might not be so difficult to alter.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #57
Bisected8
panificium delicatum sum

By jacket, I meant general overwear. The sort of thing which may or may not have a hood and you'd wear over a shirt but under a coat. Something that might also be called a jersey, jumper (UK English only, apparently), sweatshirt, hoodie, fleece, etc.

Unread 10-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #58
Kelley
Devil of Details

It really depends entirely on what specific jacket we're talking about, unfortunately.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #59
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
Sorry to ask an odd question, but; could a pattern for a woman's jacket be adapted into a men's jacket if the measurements are right, or wouldn't that work?

I've been wanting to have a go at sewing a jacket for a while, but men's jacket pattens seem to be a bit thin on the ground. O_o
Male and female proportions are quite different. Unless you were a fairly skinny, androgynous body type, it likely would not work very well. Men generally have wider shoulders, and straighter lines, where women have more curves and bumps in their bodies. Patterns for women's jackets will take into account round bust, curved waist, and flared hips - all things that most men do not have.

Try searching for some unisex patterns instead if you don't see anything you like in menswear. I find that looking in the costume section can actually turn up some nice looking menswear patterns for shirts, jackets, and pants. It's all fairly basic, compared to women's fashion, so there isn't a large pattern market for it.

Costume design and fabrication
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sector6labs

Tumblr: http://sector6labs.tumblr.com

Twitter: @sector6labs http://www.twitter.com/sector6labs
dizzymonochrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 04:32 PM   #60
Bisected8
panificium delicatum sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley View Post
It really depends entirely on what specific jacket we're talking about, unfortunately.
I was vaguely hoping that a pattern which had options for a woman without many curves might work as a unisex one, since they tend to be pretty loose fitting anyway. Oh well (I can't say I'm confident modifying something as complex as a jacket).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzymonochrome View Post
Male and female proportions are quite different. Unless you were a fairly skinny, androgynous body type, it likely would not work very well. Men generally have wider shoulders, and straighter lines, where women have more curves and bumps in their bodies. Patterns for women's jackets will take into account round bust, curved waist, and flared hips - all things that most men do not have.

Try searching for some unisex patterns instead if you don't see anything you like in menswear. I find that looking in the costume section can actually turn up some nice looking menswear patterns for shirts, jackets, and pants. It's all fairly basic, compared to women's fashion, so there isn't a large pattern market for it.
I definitely wouldn't qualify as skinny or androgynous (sadly) and I have rather broad shoulders (at the risk of blowing my own trumpet), but I have owned a few jackets in the past that I discovered were sized for women when I took a closer look at the label and worn them without any problems.

That last sentence is pretty much why I asked (when I searched on Amazon for patterns, I got this, when I tried narrowing it down to men's patters, I just got a couple of silly/generic looking hoodies).

Unisex jacket/top patterns just seems to turn up baby clothes and pyjamas.

Most mensware patterns for anything above the waist seem to be waistcoats or gilets (aside from the odd shirt).

Last edited by Bisected8 : 10-18-2013 at 04:59 PM.