Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Unread 05-19-2011, 07:04 AM   #1
Pumpkin-Ed
The Hatter

Exclamation Work in Progress costume Lulu from FFX, critique wanted

I'm producing a whole remake of my Final Fantasy X Lulu -costume and I would appreciate every little tip and pointer about the costume as I'm progressing with it (don't forget the poistive sides), since this is the point where I can still change things, if I want to. I'll put a picture of the part of the old costume and a picture of the new part of the new costume and also a detailed picture of the original one every time I'm updating this thread.

I remember myself wanting to make the best Lulu mad ever, but it turned up something soooooo different and wrong, although many people have said that at least it was the most detailed one (besides the helm decorations.) So, this time I'll make things right. If you're interested, you can go and see the first version of the costume in my costumes.

Here you go the original picture:

...And for starters, here's a picture of the front helm decorations now (still NOT ready with it) and before, plus a close-up of the original:

Pumpkin-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-19-2011, 09:45 PM   #2
ChilmarkGryphon
wings! armor! madness!

I don't know if it's just the picture quality, but the painting on the hem decorations looks sort of smudgy and uneven.
Is it the decoration the same black fabric as the rest of your dress? If you use a different fabric (say, faux suede or something else non-fraying) you'd get a nice texture contrast. The way the edges are curling up makes me think you should have interfaced the fabric more before cutting the pattern out.
Because the flowers are such subtle, gradiated pastels, I think it might work out better to start with white fabric and then use alcohol markers (Prismacolors, Copics, etc) and black fabric paint to color them. Also easier to trace your design from the paper template to the fabric if it's a light color.

Selling Arda lace-front and Le Tigre wigs! Check my Marketplace lisitings.

Current Project: Abel Nightroad | Upcoming Cons: Otakon 2015 | Find me on Twitter, DeviantART, or Facebook
ChilmarkGryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2011, 03:21 AM   #3
Pumpkin-Ed
The Hatter

I'm not sure, if there's a misunderstanding here, but, the helm decorations on the top of the picture is the one I'm working on with (natural white fabric as it's bottom surface). The one at the bottom is the old one. It was that horrid before. I'm changing the material to fake leather with a matte surface and I'm probably going to paint it too. For the helm decorée I'll be ironing backcloth with a glue surface before cutting it out and sewing it on the material which'll be very thick. The quality of the pic is awful, so, I believe that I'm taking a new picture with a better camera after I'm finished with this front side helm. My first idea was to stich every single line on some silk and cottonwoolplate at the bottom to have some 3D effect on the costume, but I thought it would've been too riskful and timetaking. Besides, in the pictures I can't see any 3D effect on the helm in profile. I'm just painting the shadows and lights because of that. I'm not still 100% satisfied with the result. Acrylics can be some stiff stuff to blend. I've also used copics with the black parts of the decorée.
Unread 05-24-2011, 04:34 PM   #4
Pumpkin-Ed
The Hatter

Here's a few pics of the sock.

Still not finished although I had planned to get it tonight right... Hey, any tips on attaching this thing on my foot? I haven't figured out how do it yet and that's why it's "alittle" herpderp in the pic. I have been thinking weather I'd hotglue it on invisible stocking.
Unread 05-17-2012, 05:21 AM   #5
Pumpkin-Ed
The Hatter

I'm totally back with making this costume. Here's some pictures and I'm really trying to make things better now. Notice, that the left-side helm border has already been unstiched and ready to face the sewing maching again since it was " a bit" deformed.

The helm will have some paint, don't worry. This is just a wip-picture....

Last edited by Pumpkin-Ed : 05-17-2012 at 05:22 AM. Reason: picture link broken
Unread 05-17-2012, 06:13 AM   #6
Lady Platinum
Fear my gyaru nails

You are doing a georgeous job! Keep it up. I think this is the most accurate Lulu I have ever seen~!
Lady Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
Pumpkin-Ed
The Hatter

Lady Platinum, thank you very much, I guess that's all that I'm able to say.
Unread 05-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #8
Ends Beginning
Onward Comrades!

The detail work you've done is amazing! You even took the time to match the belt placement in the skirt. Very very good job. I hope you post up pictures of the complete project once your done!

2014 Convention Schedule-
ConnectiCon -Hartford CT July 11-13
Another Anime Con - Manchester NH October 17-19

~Cosplay 2014 Progress~
Sinon (SAO:GGO) 30% done (Prop Hecate II and Wig finished)
Ends Beginning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #9
Pumpkin-Ed
The Hatter

Ends Beginning: Thank you very much. I think placing, shaping and coloring Lulu's belts is a basic thing to presume to be in one's costume.
Unread 05-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #10
GenLover

WOW!! The detail you have put into it is ASTONISHING! One of the best Lulu's I've ever seen!!

2014 Convention List:
Indy Pop Con * May 30-June 1
Gen Con * August 14-17
Star Base Indy * November 28-30
GenLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #11
TheCosplayFox

I actually can't even critique this because I see nothing wrong so far, great job I hope to see even more of this costume.
TheCosplayFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #12
Arlanet

You are doing a wonderful job so far. I can't wait to see the end results. Can't really critique anything at this point!
Arlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 11:13 PM   #13
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

OMG its epic!!!!!!!! Cant wait to see the final picture!!!! the only thing i see n it may just be me or the camera but the one red striped belt looks a little too unred? but thats friking minor compared to this epicness! ive been wantin to do her forev but couldnt cause im horribly unskilled!
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 07:19 PM   #14
Thadine

Holy crap.
How in the world...
Where did you get all of those straps? D:
It looks amazing! I couldn't imagine putting all of that together. Oh my. xD
Skull Kid- Majora's Mask
Iceland- Hetalia
Thadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 02:21 AM   #15
FunnyValentine
See You Space Cowboy

This is perfect. I have seen many Lulu cosplays but I just realized they have all been not so accurate. I've never seen someone do all of the intricate details. Absolutely love it and I am excited to see the final product.

Facebook Cosplay Page
DeviantArt
FunnyValentine is offline   Reply With Quote