Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > D.Gray Man

Unread 05-22-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
areraswen

Lavi's Hammer

I'm cosplaying as Lavi at Otakon, and my question is a pretty simple one... as I am taking a plane, am I going to be able to check lavi's hammer as luggage, or do I need to ship it to the hotel? (If it makes a difference I'm staying at the sheraton inner harbour and flying continental airlines) His hammer is pretty cumbersome and I'm kinda nervous about how I'm going to get it there.
Thanks!

Last edited by areraswen : 05-22-2011 at 08:57 PM. Reason: added airline name
areraswen is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-22-2011, 09:58 PM   #2
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Question: Does your hammer come apart? Or is it one big piece no matter what? I would say to ship it instead of having it checked at the airport.

Traveling with his hammer is the main reason my brother and I made mine come apart. There is the main hammer head part and then the staff part breaks down into about eight or nine pieces that can be packed very tightly.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2011, 11:17 PM   #3
areraswen

I'm not good working with woods/metals, so my choices are sort of limited on what to get. All the ones I have seen are one big piece, although I continue the hunt for one that breaks apart.
Unread 05-24-2011, 12:25 AM   #4
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

The secret to my break apart hammer handle? Swiffers. Yes, the lovely mop, broom thingy. My brother was working on my hammer when he was cleaning his kitchen and it dawned on him to use the handles from those to make mine. My hammer can go up to 9 ft. tall because of those and breaks down very easily. Also, but cutting off the loop on the end of the plastic handle I got the perfect end point to it.

My righteous hammer built by my awesome older brother: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2602450/
Unread 05-24-2011, 12:29 PM   #5
areraswen

what other materials did he use, if you don't mind me asking? I might ask my nephew to help me put a homemade one together.
Unread 05-24-2011, 01:11 PM   #6
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

The top part of the hammer is made of two very large foam cylinders, then he wrapped some thinner foam around them (using industrial spray adhesive) then there's some sort of craft plastic around the outside and making the ends. Then he painted everything black and the red stripes are red electrical tape. He also created a point that goes on the top out of wonderflex, but I don't have it in the pictures because of the weapons policy at A-kon.
Unread 07-04-2011, 09:41 PM   #7
gdbyexalmondeye
DELETE!

that sounds a little difficult DX
-Misa Amane [95%]

ĄConsĄ
-SpringFestNY '12 [ X ]
-Castle Point '12 [
X ]
-NYAF '12 [
_ ]
gdbyexalmondeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2011, 12:37 AM   #8
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdbyexalmondeye View Post
that sounds a little difficult DX
The only difficulty he had was the adhesive holding at first because it's so humid where we live. Other than that, he didn't have too much trouble. But...I wouldn't have been able to do it myself. I just don't have a mind for building like he does.
Unread 07-05-2011, 09:21 AM   #9
gdbyexalmondeye
DELETE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehdia View Post
The only difficulty he had was the adhesive holding at first because it's so humid where we live. Other than that, he didn't have too much trouble. But...I wouldn't have been able to do it myself. I just don't have a mind for building like he does.
lol well, i want to try and build it how he made it. do you think he or you could do a step by step in a little more detail? that really be great! if not, i guess i have a long trial and error process ahead of me. XD lol how long did it take him to make it??
-Misa Amane [95%]

ĄConsĄ
-SpringFestNY '12 [ X ]
-Castle Point '12 [
X ]
-NYAF '12 [
_ ]
Unread 07-05-2011, 12:14 PM   #10
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdbyexalmondeye View Post
lol well, i want to try and build it how he made it. do you think he or you could do a step by step in a little more detail? that really be great! if not, i guess i have a long trial and error process ahead of me. XD lol how long did it take him to make it??
I will have to get with him on the step by step directions. We don't live together (he's married) so I don't see him every day. But I should see him some either today or some time this week and can see what he did. And if he takes it apart and re-builds it like he wants to (he thinks mine isn't perfect enough) I will ask him to take progress pictures. I don't remember how long it took him to be honest. But I know he did it with just a week or two to go before A-kon last year.
Unread 07-05-2011, 11:13 PM   #11
gdbyexalmondeye
DELETE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehdia View Post
I will have to get with him on the step by step directions. We don't live together (he's married) so I don't see him every day. But I should see him some either today or some time this week and can see what he did. And if he takes it apart and re-builds it like he wants to (he thinks mine isn't perfect enough) I will ask him to take progress pictures. I don't remember how long it took him to be honest. But I know he did it with just a week or two to go before A-kon last year.
omgosh, that would be so awesome and very generous of you. i really appreciate it! i just started cosplaying not too long ago this year and i still dont know my way around making anything yet lol but i'm learning! ^^ i bought my bf a lavi costume so we need the props to go with it still. so thank you in advance for you and your brother's help! =]
-Misa Amane [95%]

ĄConsĄ
-SpringFestNY '12 [ X ]
-Castle Point '12 [
X ]
-NYAF '12 [
_ ]
Unread 07-05-2011, 11:16 PM   #12
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

No problem. I will see what I can do and either post what I find out on this thread or PM you the details. I can't be certain when it will be, but I will make sure to try and get it to you as soon as I can.
Unread 07-06-2011, 08:49 PM   #13
gdbyexalmondeye
DELETE!

hey, take your time! i wont need the hammer until the beginning of october. and from the sound of it, it wont take that long to make. maybe at least until the middle of september i would need everything ready to go so i have enough time. lol so no pressure ^^
-Misa Amane [95%]

ĄConsĄ
-SpringFestNY '12 [ X ]
-Castle Point '12 [
X ]
-NYAF '12 [
_ ]
Unread 07-06-2011, 10:00 PM   #14
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

That's fine. But if you are like me, even if you have time, you want to get started ASAP. Especially if you are working on something you've never done before. But once I get any kind of specifics from him, I shall pass them along. I wish I had picture of all the materials before he started building it...that would have really helped out.
Unread 07-17-2011, 03:53 PM   #15
iaShakezula

yeap you got decide what materials you will be using for Lavi's hammer and You have to decide how big your hammer will be
since you are putting it in a lugguage.

I have some cylindrical foams in my garrage ready to be thrown away.They are not as big as Mehdia but they will work
PMX

I will be cosplaying all Sports Genre anime this time around.

Kuroko no Basket game shorts
Ace of Diamond Seido Team shirt
Haikyuu game uniform and team warmer
Baby Steps Ei- chans tournament shirt

iaShakezula is offline   Reply With Quote