Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Cosplay Suggestions

Unread 06-26-2015, 02:32 PM   #1
Rahzel
steal back your future.

I found blue fabric and I don't know what to do;;

Hi there~

I'm new, so first of all, nice to meet you! (´3`)
I was cleaning my wardrobe today, only to realize I had some pieces of blue fabric I didn't remember I had.
With that, I ought to work on some cosplays with them.

One of my "dream cosplays" is Ema Skye, from Phoenix Wright. I'm not sure which version I'd prefer to cosplay, though: AAI or PW. For both, I have the glasses, wig, undershirt, wristwatch and lab coat; I don't have the blue lens, pink hat, both tops, both bottoms, red socks, striped tie, brown bag and both shoes.

I'm going to attend a con in 1 month. I've been thinking of cosplaying Rin Tohsaka, for which I already have the costume except for the lens (and the shoes aren't ideal but will do;. Now, it has occurred to me that I might make Ema in time, since I just found these fabrics and I'm on my summer break. Problem is, I don't know which version I'd like to cosplay.

Pros and cons:

AAI version: it's cuter and my friends seem to like it better. I would have to make the tie (not so hard), make a brown bag (can do as well). The brown shorts shouldn't be so hard to find, either. I suppose it would be hard to find a pink beret, and affordable boots. As for the vest, I might use the blue fabric to make it, or just make do with the vest I already have (though it's a darker shade of blue, the shape is perfect - I could use it as a pattern as well).

PW version: I think I like it better, to be 100% honest. I'd have to find red socks and red shoes, which wouldn't be so easy, although I'm not sure if that is supposed to be a schoolgirl mocasin (which I'd have to buy anyway); I'd have to work on a pleated skirt, which shouldn't be so hard and the fabric shouldn't be that expensive either, and I might be able to find a second hand one for sale as well. I would have to work on the vest as well (these fabrics seem to be perfect for it!).

...Now I'm torn. Should I change my plans and work on this Ema cosplay? If so, which version? Should I just drop it all, go as Rin and use that fabric on a Mirai Kuriyama uniform? (I think it should be a bit darker, though!) Would denim work better for Ema Skye's vest?

Please help me with your suggestions!~
Rahzel is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-05-2015, 05:32 PM   #2
Sairas
Cosplay fanatic

What kind of fabric is that ? (Some kind of taffeta maybe ? Can't tell)

Honestly, I think the fabric would work better for the AAI version. I can't tell for sure since it's hard to judge without a sample right in front of me. I think denim's a good choice for those types of vests, since it's sturdy enough while having a good drape.

Your fabric however looks stiff, wrinkles easily and holds them. (opposite of cotton/denim fabric) Now the huge problem with wrinkly+stiff fabric is that they can ruin an otherwise perfectly good piece of clothing (read tops and pants) by giving it a weird shape. You'd need to constantly iron it for it to look well. However, if the fabric is thick enough it can actually work as a vest.

In the PW version, it looks like the top's made out of some heavy wool fabric. (think winter coat) The skirt of the PW is plaid fabric, which is obviously not what you've got.

That fabric looks like it'd work nicely for the MK uniform. It would probably look great for the skirt (since it pleats nicely and holds wrinkles well) but the sweater ? Nope. Forget it. Tight knit fabric FTW. :P

Sorry if I sound confusing, just ask if something's not clear.

TL;DR : For AAI use denim. Your fabric could work as a vest but no guarantee.
PW : Thick wool for the top and plaid for the skirt.
MK : your fabric for the skirt and some knit fabric for the sweater.

Polymanga 2016

- Ruby Rose (Rwby)
- Riven - Standard skin (League of Legends)

Random cosplays

- Daedric Armor Dovakhiin (Skyrim)

Last edited by Sairas : 07-05-2015 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Embarassing grammar mistake
Sairas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2015, 08:13 PM   #3
Rahzel
steal back your future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sairas View Post
What kind of fabric is that ? (Some kind of taffeta maybe ? Can't tell)

Honestly, I think the fabric would work better for the AAI version. I can't tell for sure since it's hard to judge without a sample right in front of me. I think denim's a good choice for those types of vests, since it's sturdy enough while having a good drape.

Your fabric however looks stiff, wrinkles easily and holds them. (opposite of cotton/denim fabric) Now the huge problem with wrinkly+stiff fabric is that they can ruin an otherwise perfectly good piece of clothing (read tops and pants) by giving it a weird shape. You'd need to constantly iron it for it to look well. However, if the fabric is thick enough it can actually work as a vest.

In the PW version, it looks like the top's made out of some heavy wool fabric. (think winter coat) The skirt of the PW is plaid fabric, which is obviously not what you've got.

That fabric looks like it'd work nicely for the MK uniform. It would probably look great for the skirt (since it pleats nicely and holds wrinkles well) but the sweater ? Nope. Forget it. Tight knit fabric FTW. :P

Sorry if I sound confusing, just ask if something's not clear.

TL;DR : For AAI use denim. Your fabric could work as a vest but no guarantee.
PW : Thick wool for the top and plaid for the skirt.
MK : your fabric for the skirt and some knit fabric for the sweater.
Thank you very much for your reply! ( I'm sorry I took so long;; I ended up going with another idea and been working diligently for the past weeks. :') )

I'm not sure myself. The one on top looks a lot less shiny irl, so I'm betting it's not taffeta. It's rather stiff but of course it's no denim. I had thought of denim for the vest before, but I wasn't sure - denim has got a very particular texture, I don't see it being used often in cosplay.

Hmm, yes, you have a good point. It looks like it would need ironing and lots of attention. Seeing as it is a vest, I thought it wouldn't be much of a problem (her vest looks straight enough)

I didn't think of heavy wool fabric before for the PW vest, but yes, it sounds like a good idea. I'll see if I can find it to take a closer look;;

Hmm. I suppose the color isn't near enough for the skirt, but you have a point. (as for the sweater, I thought of buying one, really. I love her sweater but I don't see myself being able to make it in a way that would look fluffy and nice enough, and I feel that it's the most important part of her outfit. And yes, pink tight knit fabric ftw.)

Anyway, thanks A LOT for the suggestions, really! :') And I'm really, really sorry I took so long to answer;; OTL
Rahzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2015, 01:26 PM   #4
Delve

Use interfacing and lining for the vest and it should hold up. There is thick apparel lining you can use.

Initially thought you were looking for ideas the blue reminded me of Chrono Crusade right away.

Anime California & PMX 2015
RWBY
Black Lagoon

Anime North 2016:
Pokemon
Wolf's Rain

Anime Expo 2016:
Rokka
Vocaloid
Gate
Delve is offline   Reply With Quote