Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-28-2011, 12:04 AM   #16
Akiyhrah
She-Geek extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveKnight View Post
Me and my Ex used to have some real intense Smash Bros Brawl matches. She is also hands down one of the best people I've played RE5 with. (God I hate when the computer controls my partner...)

The female gamer population is straight up amazing now. I can't even begin to tell you how many ladies I know that keep up in the dps, and heals when I played WoW. Haven't met many female tanks but I'm sure they are out there. Then again I haven't hit up an MMO in awhile...
I usually play DPS because I prefer classes with speed and agility. Tanks can be fun, but I find it gets boring being a meat shield after a while.

One of my best friends is friggan amazing at halo. People are often surprised to discover she is female lol She's also freakishly good at tetris. Seriously, I've NEVER seen anyone play as well as she O_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc_The_Lad View Post
I got "nice ass" a lot actually when I lived in Windsor, I was not to thrilled about it.

Oh and "you're pretty good looking for a nerd", BAH I SAY.
People don't even realize I'm a nerd until I say something nerdy, then I get, "Wow, I NEVER would have thought you were a nerd/geek/gamer/etc!!"

Last edited by Akiyhrah : 05-28-2011 at 12:07 AM.
Akiyhrah is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-28-2011, 12:05 AM   #17
Arc_The_Lad
of Daventry

That's funny, because when I was still playing WoW the girls in our guild were useless turds, them and their boyfriends.

Edit - I pressed enter too soon it seems.

I just find that my experience with girls and video games has been limited or unknown. I'm sure I played with skilled girls, I just don't know because I also notice that skilled girls also don't like telling people they are girls. I don't blame them, speak once in Vent and the white knights line up.

Last edited by Arc_The_Lad : 05-28-2011 at 12:08 AM.
Arc_The_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2011, 12:19 AM   #18
Akiyhrah
She-Geek extraordinaire

Quote:
That's funny, because when I was still playing WoW the girls in our guild were useless turds, them and their boyfriends.

I just find that my experience with girls and video games has been limited or unknown. I'm sure I played with skilled girls, I just don't know because I also notice that skilled girls also don't like telling people they are girls. I don't blame them, speak once in Vent and the white knights line up.
My aforementioned friend rarely talks much when she's playing halo online. She hates being flirted with, babied, or picked on because the other players discover her gender. Can't say I blame her.

There was one time on Lord of the Rings online, one of my low level kin members was in a group trying to get through a really hard quest, and they kept failing. He was whining about it on the kin chat, so I offered to run them through it since I was just farming for mats anyway.
So I meet up with them and we all get on Vent, and the group instantly starts to doubt my capabilities because they discovered I was a girl. So they decided not to listen to me, and they continued to get slaughtered. Finally after several failed attempts and a good hour of me waiting around for them to run back from the res point, my kin mate told the morons just to listen to me, and I guess they finally figured it was worth giving me a chance. I ran them through the dungeon in about 10 minutes with no casualties whatsoever, and after they were all like, "thank you sooooo much!!! You're awesome!!" and they all tried to add me to their friends list. I guess they realized I did know what I was doing, and wanted to keep me around in case they needed help again. I told them all to fuck off.
So yeah. I pretty much avoid voice chat unless it's with my kin or friends.
Unread 05-28-2011, 12:21 AM   #19
BraveKnight

Naw... admittedly I run into female healers more then anything... but man when I run into a girl dps she can be just as cut throat...

*shudders at maniacal laughter of being camped by female blood elves*

I love being a tank but I kinda stink at it too... -.- I try real hard but apparently I was too into roleplaying and looking cool... not realizing that choices that made sense in D&D didn't translate the same as an MMO -.-

Oh well I've stopped playing online games and lost 68lbs and started cosplaying. It seems pretty win to me.

Back on topic though... I think the only compliment I didn't like was one I received while working at a prison...

"You could be my Red Ranger" that came from an inmate who I honestly did not want to hear I was their hero... -.-
BraveKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2011, 12:26 AM   #20
tehkukikookie
Uses galaxies as shuriken

"I'm not racist, but..." or anything referring to me looking like a guy. Seriously people, I don't look anything like a guy and don't like beig called sir. O.O

Otakon 2012
Red Dress/SMS Klang Klang, Kida, Micro Klan Klang, Aisha Clan Clan, Ms.Fortune

Toki Wartooth
tehkukikookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2011, 02:53 AM   #21
rubyspitfire
queen of the closet

Quote:

LOL!

i played dps/tank back when i was playing wow. i picked up cata but lost interest as soon as i was ready to start raiding again. i honestly just don't want to play when it starts to feel like a job, and if you're a tank or healer it is a job but when you're dps you get left out because someone else wants to go and they are personal friends of so-and-so who's an officer... ugh

one night everyone in vent started posting photos of themselves, so i joined in. they didn't believe it was me until i actually said something, and then it was "OMG she really is a girl!". i swear vent had never been so quiet after that, but the whispers were rolling in so fast ingame that i couldn't keep up

i generally don't get bent out of shape too much when people give me what i call "underhanded complements", or complements that are really insults in disguise. something along the lines of "you make a great guy, for a girl" (which could be taken as i'm not very feminine-looking, it's something i hear on a regular basis) will generally get a cheerful "wow thanks!" from me. i usually get embarrassed when someone offers genuine flattery

cosplay schedule
SoDak Con!!
Jean Havoc - Fullmetal Alchemist and FMA: Brotherhood
Sanji - One Piece
Catwoman - DC Comics/Gotham Girls (fanart version)

Ruby Spitfire, official D20 Girl
Support a single mom ^.^

Last edited by rubyspitfire : 05-28-2011 at 02:58 AM.
rubyspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2011, 03:06 AM   #22
Ragtime Mouth
Can + Bakery + ??= Profit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
The only one allowed to call me sexy is Boyfriend.
As only my husband, or else it's just a bit sleazy to me.

As a kid, I hated being belittled as an older character in cosplay, "aww you're cute" wasn't always nice. I don't mind at all now, but as a kid (like most kids) you don't want to look too young for older characters.

(as for wow chat; warrior tanking now is the best fun, teddy tank and pally is just meat shields. Warrior, priest, rogues <3 Though I haven't played since the xpack.)

Last edited by Ragtime Mouth : 05-28-2011 at 03:11 AM.
Ragtime Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2011, 04:47 AM   #23
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

"Oooh, you get to eat whatever you want and not gain a pound, you have a nice skinny figure".

Urgh, I hate being skinny, I just want to throttle the next person who says that because I went through hard times with my weight for many years.
Usagi Tsukino (School Uniform) - Sailor Moon
Sailor Cosmos - Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
Bubbles - Powerpuff Girls Z

x-Steffi-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2011, 05:15 AM   #24
ashwhee

This was actually a compliment (?) from my friend after she met the boy I was dating. "Oh he's cute, for an Asian." o_o
ashwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2011, 05:47 AM   #25
RickyFromVegas
Cosplaying Photographer

"Wow, you are kinda cute for an Asian"

Really?
RickyFromVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2011, 07:38 AM   #26
Bisected8
All glory to hypnoturtle!

People keep telling me I have broad shoulders. I guess it's not really an insult, but I can't see how it's supposed to be a compliment (plus it makes crossplay rather difficult).

To do; Dark Link (80%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
Bisected8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2011, 08:54 AM   #27
Kerodohi
No longer active

I hate it when people say, "Wow, you're really tall!" Yes, I like being tall, but I don't see why it's so special that you have to comment on it. Or why it's even considered a compliment in the first place... I mean, it's okay to comment on someone being tall, but HEAVEN FORBID you tell someone, "Wow, you're really short!"
Unread 05-28-2011, 09:00 AM   #28
Ragtime Mouth
Can + Bakery + ??= Profit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerodohi View Post
I hate it when people say, "Wow, you're really tall!" Yes, I like being tall, but I don't see why it's so special that you have to comment on it. Or why it's even considered a compliment in the first place... I mean, it's okay to comment on someone being tall, but HEAVEN FORBID you tell someone, "Wow, you're really short!"
Always hated this
Ragtime Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2011, 09:44 AM   #29
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
For real though, I always kind of hated people telling me I had and "old soul". Still not clear on what the hell that's supposed to entail.
This. So much. I still don't get it. Can someone explain it to me without it sounded like a backhanded compliment? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiratsukai View Post
anything with "for (a) _________" attatched.
That one too.

"You're good at programming stuff, for a girl." Really? Did you have to add that last bit after the comma? Couldn't you have just left it off?

And another one that others have said: "Don't take offense to this, but..."

Well I know you're going to say something that will probably offend me. So why say it? lol Though that's not really a compliment. >.>
~ CosPod - A Cosplay Podcast for Everyone
~ The Geek Spot: All Things Geek Chic. Personal Blog.
~ Flickr Photostream ~ TifaIA Cosplay on Facebook ~ DeviantArt
tifaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2011, 09:50 AM   #30
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragtime Mouth View Post
As only my husband, or else it's just a bit sleazy to me.

As a kid, I hated being belittled as an older character in cosplay, "aww you're cute" wasn't always nice. I don't mind at all now, but as a kid (like most kids) you don't want to look too young for older characters.
This is relating back to the 'Hey Baby' thing from page one I forgot to mutli-quote with this and I am too lazy to go back to:

It's cute and silly when Boyfriend does it.

It's creepy and sleazy when random guy at A-Cen does it.

I still wonder who the hell pat my ass that one day...

Considering I've been going for 'cute cosplay' for some time I am pleased with that comment xD but when I've cosplayed older characters they've been on the sexier side and I just get guys taking pictures of my boobage.

Which is perfectly fine and expected by me in the first place.

EDIT:
HA I remembered the one comment I got when cosplaying Motoko
I had been walking down part of the hall that was pretty empty but just me and my friend and some random con staff. There's this guy leaning against the wall on the opposite side of the hall, who as soon as I walk past him loudly shouts: "Damn look at those big, bouncing titties!"

At the time I was mortified, but now I just have to laugh about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehkukikookie View Post
"I'm not racist, but..." or anything referring to me looking like a guy. Seriously people, I don't look anything like a guy and don't like beig called sir. O.O
Clearly your all man

/sarcastic/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerodohi View Post
funny enough I get people who comment on my shortness as making me cuter somehow..?
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote