Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-28-2011, 11:09 PM   #46
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~H~ View Post
I've had a few girls compliment my chest, then ask where I got my boobs done >_<.
*snipped for space*

I know I'm not the only naturally endowed woman who gets this.....if you've gotten a "compliment" like this before, how did you respond?
I've gotten that a lot. I usually say
"well, my mom always says she did a great job naming me after my great-grandmother- we are both short with big boobs"

Or

"in the womb"
"the boob fairy was a little obsessed with me"
"puberty"
"genetics"
"the moon"
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-29-2011, 02:49 AM   #47
Moonsong
daughter of evil

I also despise being called anything such as "baby" "hottie" "sexy" etc. I know a few people who address me in such a manner and, despite me telling them to knock it off, they always "forget." it makes me want to flip tables. And chairs. And desks.

Also..Seconding the insults veiled with compliments thing. I once had a customer at work tell me, "The pretty ones are always so god damn stupid!" I didn't really know how to respond to that in a way that wouldn't have gotten me fired, so I held my tongue. Ah, people.

On hiatus until 2015.

★Saber EXTRA - 100% complete
★Rachel Alucard (Blazblue) - 100% complete

Moonsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2011, 02:59 AM   #48
Rinoa07
Anemic Royalty

Customer1: "I mean this as a compliment: you're like Juno."
Me: o_0 "Whaa..?"
Customer1: "Like, you're personality. Quirky."
Me: "Thank you...?"
I like Juno, and it's not the first time I've been compared to the character personality-wise. Just as long as they don't mean I'm fat T_T Though, I'm a lot more nifty than Juno, if I do say so myself.

or

Customer2: "Thank you, little Heidi."
Me: "Who?"
Customer2: "Like Heidi Fleiss."
Me: "Um...Who's that?"
Customer3: "You don't know who she was?"
Me: "Nope. Is it a good compliment."
Customer3: "I dunno, she did a lot of..not good things."
Me: "Is she pretty?"
Customer3: "...yes."
Me: "Then I don't care."

And for the record, I'm sooo much prettier than Heidi Fleiss.

Oh, and I can't forget: "You definitely have the thighs for Chun Li" when cosplaying Chun Li. Only I get away with saying that dammit >_<

Last edited by Rinoa07 : 05-29-2011 at 03:04 AM.
Rinoa07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2011, 09:24 AM   #49
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

Quote:

I know I'm not the only naturally endowed woman who gets this.....if you've gotten a "compliment" like this before, how did you respond?
I always say genetics. Or "yeah, the universe endowed me with these and massive back issues. I'd be happy to give them back if I could," for when I'm cranky. >.> I don't know why women would want them bigger. They are such a hassle to deal with. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonsong View Post

Also..Seconding the insults veiled with compliments thing. I once had a customer at work tell me, "The pretty ones are always so god damn stupid!" I didn't really know how to respond to that in a way that wouldn't have gotten me fired, so I held my tongue. Ah, people.
I've had that happen before too! There really is no way to respond to it without being sarcastic and getting into trouble/fired.
~ CosPod - A Cosplay Podcast for Everyone
~ The Geek Spot: All Things Geek Chic. Personal Blog.
~ Flickr Photostream ~ TifaIA Cosplay on Facebook ~ DeviantArt
tifaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2011, 03:12 PM   #50
hollowchrist
oi, watch it spaceman.

Kind of related but not really, on the topic of the backhanded compliments.

I saw a documentary once, I don't remember what exactly it was on. Maybe social class or something like that. But they had these black women in a hair salon talking about backhanded compliments. But the compliments they put out there were "You've got nice hair." Just that alone. They're the ones who assumed that we white folk were saying it as "you've got nice hair for a black chick." I was just like.. Jesus. Take the compliment, your hair is pretty.

I'm a little bit of an attention monger so.. I'll take all of them I can get. Unless they're coming from someone being overly creepy about it. Like "You have a nice rack." And then going into intimate detail about nasty stuff that I don't want to hear. >.>

super sailor chibi moon -- 85%
late but lucky (madness returns) -- planning

eBay | FaceBook | Marketplace
Add Me!
hollowchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2011, 03:50 PM   #51
Akiyhrah
She-Geek extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowchrist View Post
Kind of related but not really, on the topic of the backhanded compliments.

I saw a documentary once, I don't remember what exactly it was on. Maybe social class or something like that. But they had these black women in a hair salon talking about backhanded compliments. But the compliments they put out there were "You've got nice hair." Just that alone. They're the ones who assumed that we white folk were saying it as "you've got nice hair for a black chick." I was just like.. Jesus. Take the compliment, your hair is pretty.

I'm a little bit of an attention monger so.. I'll take all of them I can get. Unless they're coming from someone being overly creepy about it. Like "You have a nice rack." And then going into intimate detail about nasty stuff that I don't want to hear. >.>
I told a black woman she had beautiful skin once, and she got offended. I guess she thought I was being backhanded or racist or something, but she really did have nice skin! It was so soft looking and it was this gorgeous dark chocolate colour... and it's not like I said, "you have nice skin, for a black chick" or anything like that. I was genuinely complimenting her. :/
Unread 05-29-2011, 04:32 PM   #52
Ailovelove
Obscure cosplays ;^;

"You're really eloquent/smart/pretty for a black girl."
. . .
WHAT.
Watch all that eloquence/intelligence/attractiveness fly out the window while I try not to strangle you.
Seishun-con 2012 - FORGOT ALL MY COSPLAYS
AWA 2012 - ? May or may not go.

Dream cosplay: Xelha, Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean

Alabama cosplayer, here~

Ay, yo, I got a DA.
Ailovelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2011, 10:30 PM   #53
Miyabi-
All Will Be Well

Quote:
Easy! You take the line from that chick in the Seinfeld episode where he was trying to guess if her boobs were real or not:

"Oh, they're real and they're SPECTACULAR!"

I always get told I'm young looking in veiled insult ways.

I was at work once and noticed this woman walking around and peeking down aisles like she was looking for a salesperson. I stopped and asked her if I could help her and she looked startled and said:
"Oh you work here? I thought you were just some kid running around!"
Me: *points to nametag* "Sadly no! I do indeed work here!" ^_^

I'd get people that would come in and bring up some product from something that would be from my childhood and they'd say "But you wouldn't know about it..this was before your time!"
Me: "....actually I was 10 when that was around."

Though the best was getting carded at the movie theater when I was 26. The mall in question has a curfew and the security guards tried to herd me up to the waiting area with all the teenagers!

Last edited by Miyabi- : 05-29-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Miyabi- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2011, 11:15 PM   #54
Akiyhrah
She-Geek extraordinaire

One time I was at the liquor store buying a bottle of rum and the lady looks at me when I get to the till, narrows her eyes, and says, "I'll need to see TWO pieces of government issued id..." in this really bitchy tone.
So I pull out my BCID and my Care Card, both of which are perfectly acceptable everywhere else, and she spends a good couple minutes reading every detail on both. Then her eyes flick back to me and she's like, "this girl's hair is black. Yours is blonde."
And I'm like, "Yeah, it's called hair dye..." She frowned at me then looked at my ID again like she was trying to prove it was fake. Getting pissed off at this point, I pulled out my credit card, SIN card, bank card, and even my damn check book (basically everything with my name or picture on it that was in my wallet or purse) and dumped it all on the counter. She kind of glances over everything and sees that it all has my name on it, and I guess she decided I most likely DIDN'T steal someones purse and I actually WAS old enough to buy liquor.
So she kind of giggles and smiles at me all sweetly, and says, "I'm sorry, you just look SOOO young, I had to be sure!"

I was so mad at that point, it took all my will power not to call her a fucking old bitch and walk out of the store. ><

Edit: I was 23 at the time, and the legal drinking age here is 19. I'm fine with being asked for ID, but this lady was just ridiculous.

Last edited by Akiyhrah : 05-29-2011 at 11:18 PM.
Akiyhrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2011, 11:25 PM   #55
KnightShade007
Emperor of Fedoras

^ You're missing one very important detail...

What happened to the RUM!?!?
Unread 05-30-2011, 01:19 AM   #56
Stina006
Even in darkness...

'Oh you're so LUCKY to look so YOUNG for YOUR AGE.'
i'm 21 and 4'11'' i look like a 13 yr. old but i dress my age. i always get carted for everything and when i break out my ID it's like they think it's a fake...wtf?
i can't even see a scary movie or drink a nice margarita with my mom without the freaking waiter coming by every 5-10 minutes asking for my ID. D :!
but you try to make me feel better by saying it's a good thing to be treated like a little girl when clearly I've been treated this way my whole life?
man sometimes people just don't THINK. not everyone is fucking 5' 4''-5'-7'' >_>
Edward Elric-Fullmetal Alchemist

Planned~
North Italy-Hetalia
Link-Oracle of Seasons/Oracle of Ages ver.- The Legend of Zelda
Super Sailor Chibi Moon- Sailor Moon
Stina006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2011, 03:14 PM   #57
fujyoshi
half elf flame haze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonsong View Post
I also despise being called anything such as "baby" "hottie" "sexy" etc. I know a few people who address me in such a manner and, despite me telling them to knock it off, they always "forget." it makes me want to flip tables. And chairs. And desks.
this

when I cosplayed matsuri from sola someone told me I looked like a hulked up version of her o_O can't really say thats a compliment but I didn't know how to react to it personally because atleast I know I got muscles /heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailovelove View Post
"You're really eloquent/smart/pretty for a black girl."
. . .
WHAT.
Watch all that eloquence/intelligence/attractiveness fly out the window while I try not to strangle you.
someone actually made a comment about my champ cosplay like black people are always bigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymunchkin View Post
Now that I think about it, I used to HATE being called cute. My whole life I've constantly been called cute, and after a while I felt like nobody was taking me seriously because of it. Especially when I'd work really hard on a project and I'd show someone, and they'd be like, "Oh, that's cute." And it was annoying how nobody ever called me pretty :P

Nowadays I embrace the cuteness ^_^
I still don't like being called cute since I don't exactly see myself as that

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunnyValentine View Post
I don't like back-handed compliments...snap.
this = the entire topic.
Manjoume Jun - Yu-Gi-Oh GX
fujyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2011, 03:21 PM   #58
Formalhaut
Adepta Sororitas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinoa07 View Post
Customer1: "I mean this as a compliment: you're like Juno."
Me: o_0 "Whaa..?"
Customer1: "Like, you're personality. Quirky."
Me: "Thank you...?"
I like Juno, and it's not the first time I've been compared to the character personality-wise. Just as long as they don't mean I'm fat T_T Though, I'm a lot more nifty than Juno, if I do say so myself.
juno wasnt fat...juno was pregnant....big difference...

mine is, gee youre smart for a blonde!
Formalhaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2011, 04:50 PM   #59
UK72

"WOW! You lost so much weight!"

...er, was I fat before???!!
UK72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2011, 05:01 PM   #60
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stina006 View Post
'Oh you're so LUCKY to look so YOUNG for YOUR AGE.'
i'm 21 and 4'11'' i look like a 13 yr. old but i dress my age. i always get carted for everything and when i break out my ID it's like they think it's a fake...wtf?
i can't even see a scary movie or drink a nice margarita with my mom without the freaking waiter coming by every 5-10 minutes asking for my ID. D :!
but you try to make me feel better by saying it's a good thing to be treated like a little girl when clearly I've been treated this way my whole life?
man sometimes people just don't THINK. not everyone is fucking 5' 4''-5'-7'' >_>
I get that a lot.
I am 21 and I often get high schoolers working in retail asking me where I go to High School ~.~
They always looked surprised when I said I was 21.

I don't think I dress TOO childish, I tend to wear just jeans and tee shirts.
It hasn't bothered me much because I don't drink or go to clubs xD it's just amusing.

Especially when I go out places with Boyfriend, he's 26 and a bit taller then me so I tease him that it looks like he's dating a 16 year old so now we tell everyone we don't go on dates we just have scheduled play times.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote