Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > Marvel Universe

Unread 06-02-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
MadPhysicist

Metal Winged Archangel

Hey everyone,

Im pretty new to the cosplay scene and havent really done anything in the past, but Ive always loved the metal winged archangel, particularly the X-Force version. I'm going to be making a full set of 6-7 foot wingspan aircraft grade aluminum wings with the two secondary wings seen in some instances. Here are my references:

For the wings:
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs32/i/20...MarkNewman.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSj9mzVvz9I

For the body:
http://www.toyark.com/news/attach/1/...1297166510.jpg (best I could do, its essentially just the blue and pink costume but in black and silver)

This project originally started as just the wings, but I figured I might as well include the body. My focus, however is primarily on the wing construction. But first I need to know...

Has it been done before? Ive searched for anyone that might have done it before, but Im sure you all will know better than google could tell me whether or not anyone has attempted the metal wings.

Let me know!

Thanks so much,
Adiel
MadPhysicist is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-02-2011, 11:58 AM   #2
leeleeleelee
X-Force Intern

I've never seen anyone do this, but it looks super cool and very exciting! Also, this will be a very relevant cosplay due to the ongoing Age of Apocalypse storyline going on in Uncanny X-Force.
Tron (Tron Legacy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
...what the actual hell. I think you've just guaranteed your romantic doom here.
leeleeleelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 08:54 AM   #3
MadPhysicist

Thanks leeleeleelee, anyone else know if its been done before?

I'll post pictures as I go along so feel free to let me know what yout think!
Unread 06-06-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
Rayonea
Stubbornly Optimistic

I definitely don't think this has been done before, and it sounds like a really cool project!

But on the other hand, if you want to wear these to a convention you'll have to check with their rules first. A lot of conventions won't let you walk around with 6' of metal strapped to your back.
Unread 06-06-2011, 09:55 PM   #5
MadPhysicist

Wow, I never even thought of that! Thanks for the heads up Rayonea
Unread 06-10-2011, 07:40 PM   #6
Kazephyr
Shapeshifter

That would be so epic. *_* I would be concerned about con regulations, though... Some that I attend have a strict no-metal policy (though this primarily relates to weapon props). Have you considered another material? As sweet as actual metal would be, it'd be awful to be turned away at the doors to an event... At the very least, I'd check ahead of time with the staff of the event you're planning to take it to; depending on the con, I've found they can be very responsive about these matters.
Unread 06-10-2011, 11:11 PM   #7
Miyabi-
All Will Be Well

Instead of metal why not make the "feathers" out of craft foam? You can seal them and then use a metallic paint over top of them so they have the look of metal without the weight/danger of real metal.
There's a tutorial for a "Weeping Angel" costume from Doctor Who and I'm pretty sure you could easily adapt the method from these wings for your own project:
http://www.therpf.com/f24/doctor-who...costume-49264/
Miyabi- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2011, 03:23 PM   #8
MadPhysicist

So, I checked the NY Comic Con website and they seem to have a lot of rules about fake weapons, but not much about other things. I probably should email someone to ask, but I feel like this might be one of those times where if you show up, they'll be ok with it, but if you ask them and give them some time to think about it they'll say no. I'll dig deeper.

As for making them out of plastic or something else, that would kind of kill the project for me. I was so intrigued by this project because of the metal and I think its the only way to do right by such an amazing character!

Completed:
-Scale model of wings
-Blow up scale model to make life-size paper templates

Next up: Start cutting aluminum! Woohoo!
Unread 06-15-2011, 01:34 PM   #9
StanLee Wannabe

I'm doing an ArcAngel cosplay myself and while I get your love for real metal, I just don't think you know what you're in for with that. Assuming you dont have a set up that can be setup and broken down easily, just wearing the things are going to be murder. Then, depending on the con, moving around and getting through doors and traffic is going to be insane. On top of that, you're going to have some fool report you or security spot you.

Again, please know that I love this character and want you to succeed. But I say these things to let you know what you might be in for.
StanLee Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 12:10 AM   #10
MadPhysicist

Hey Stan, thanks for the concern, really. Its really nice of you to let me know of the potential perils of this project, I mean it.

With that said, comic con is just one of the places I was hoping to display these babies. I hope to present them at world maker faire in september as well as halloween. I plan on using some pretty awesome stuff called muscle wire to make them move. On a side note, I just found out I have to be out of town for the weekend of NY Comic con, but I'm still trying to make it for the friday.

Here are a few pictures to update what Im up to. Ive cut most of the wings, so I still need to finish cutting a few pieces, bend them, finish/detail them, mount them and add the muscle wire/electronics. Lots to do.

Here are a few photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/25546847@N06/

I created a small scale version of the wings out of paper then scanned them into a computer then projected them onto butcher paper in order to blow them up to the right size. Then I cut out the templates, traced them onto the aluminum and cut them with a dremel. In the picture with me on top of the wings layed out on the floor, the wing is actually missing about another foot off the tip. My sheets werent large enough to cut them from one sheet so Im gonna have to attach the tip to the rest of the wing. After they're done, the wingspan is going to be about 10-12 feet, but should drop down to 3 or 4 feet across when I wrap them around myself. Let me know what you think!
Unread 08-04-2011, 11:07 PM   #11
tarinalove
alsoknownas Katarini

They won't let you in with those. For one, the edges are extremely sharp, and for two, Arch Angel is a CHARACTER.

As a piece of art, fine, but you're going to have to make a separate pair for your entire costume to wear in public. You could set up a private shoot with a photographer, but he can't use any sort of flash, lighting techniques, or anything really without a bad glare back.

Also, it doesn't look 3-d or give the true 'wing look'... They need a lot of architectural details.

You're going to need to make foam/poster board wings, and wings usually can't span over 6' because it's a safety hazard.
Wings are also considered props.

https://www.facebook.com/RinaMeowsir
I take commissions, just send me a message. <3
tarinalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 11:48 AM   #12
leeleeleelee
X-Force Intern

I would email the NY Comic Con people and let them know exactly what you plan on doing. Worst comes to worst, they tell you to edit it. I wouldn't kill the project.
Tron (Tron Legacy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
...what the actual hell. I think you've just guaranteed your romantic doom here.
leeleeleelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 11:53 AM   #13
MadPhysicist

Tarinalove, the wings are not sharp. I have filed them down and are so dull I can comfortably run my hands straight down the edge with no effect on my skin. Completely safe.

Also, Im not sure what you mean about Archangel being a "CHARACTER".

The wings are not even close to being done. I just posted the pictures to show the raw sheet metal being cut into shapes. The wings still need to be buffed, brushed (I want them to have a brushed aluminum finish), bent into curves, have all the detailing engraved into the front and back then mounted to the back plate and add the muscles that will make them move.

Yes the wings are props, but the NYCC website talks only about prop weapons and the wings dont fall under the bladed or blunt category.

Thanks for the advice leelee. I emailed the show director and this is what he said:

Quote:
Hi Adiel, the costume sounds absolutely amazing!!!

Here is the thing - NYCC is extremely crowded, so 4 feet and certainly 10 feet will cause some real problems with you moving around and crowding issues. Your costume does not break any of our rules, but please be aware that wearing it on the show floor could prove nearly impossible and should it become a crowding issue, we will like have to ask you to not wear it on the show floor.

So this is all to say that it sounds amazing and you are welcome to wear it, but we always reserve the right to ask you to not wear it on the show floor if it causes crowding or safety issues of any kind.

See you at the con!

Lance Fensterman
Seems like I probably just need to use a little common sense and I should be fine. A little bit of a stretch for me, but I'll do my best
Unread 09-04-2011, 08:42 PM   #14
MadPhysicist

The wings are done!!!

Well, not 100% just yet. They still need to be finished and detailed, but all the mechanics are finished and functional! Videos are below.

Front View:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3T4XKIiH1c

Rear View:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIeUaYfQzsQ

Now I need to start making the actual body suit. Please comment and let me know what you think!
Unread 09-04-2011, 08:48 PM   #15
MadPhysicist

Also, if you are at all interested in the work that went into it, you can see some of the background stuff at my blog:

http://adielfernandez.blogspot.com/