Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Code Geass

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-04-2011, 12:15 AM   #1
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

Fabric Help

so i want to do this version of Euphie... what fabrics should I be looking into for it? I don't really want to use bridal satin, as it was a real pain for my Ciel dress... I want something heavier but not HEAVY... I'm thinking along the lines of a wedding gown style for the base and then something softer for the ruffles...
Battler Ushiromiya from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
Rainbowgasm is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-06-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

NO ONE has ideas? D8
Unread 06-07-2011, 10:42 AM   #3
liivingdeadgirl
Chicken Rice!

Because of the type of dress I would go with casa satin, however the ridiculous amount of ruffles that is going to cost a lot of money, especially if you don't have a serger to use on the ruffles and you have to double them up so you don't see a seam. You could try to find something similar, but in order for it to hav the correct stiffness without looking cheap you will probably have to go with a bridal fabric. =/

Alice (Original) - Alice in Wonderland
Miku (Cendrillon) - Vocaloid
Fuu (Artbook) - Magic Knight Rayearth
Fem!Cas - Supernatural

~*~
https://www.facebook.com/#!/LDGCosplay
liivingdeadgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2011, 12:54 PM   #4
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by liivingdeadgirl View Post
Because of the type of dress I would go with casa satin, however the ridiculous amount of ruffles that is going to cost a lot of money, especially if you don't have a serger to use on the ruffles and you have to double them up so you don't see a seam. You could try to find something similar, but in order for it to hav the correct stiffness without looking cheap you will probably have to go with a bridal fabric. =/
why would I have to double it to to 'not see a seam'? I'm afraid I don't quite understand what you mean there... I already pretty much know HOW I'm going to do the dress, just not the material... because I HATED working with Bridal Satin from my Fabricland (it wasn't very stiff at all, better then costume satin, but it was still not quite as stiff as I would have liked), unless its a very low quality, which means that I'd have to order anything better online, because its the best Fabricland has... I'm more then prepared to spend $300 on this dress once I get going on it in the winter (hopefully I'll have moved and gotten a job in the new place by then)... but I see no reason to 'double up' as you are saying :S
Unread 06-07-2011, 02:05 PM   #5
liivingdeadgirl
Chicken Rice!

I mean in order to close the fabric you have three choices: A) you can fold up the hem and run a stitch along the edge B) you can fold the fabric in half so the stitching is only where it's attached to the dress and not on the ends C) used a rolled hem on a serger. Folding the fabric over (doubling it, essentially) probably wouldn't work because it would take a LOT of fabric, and be too heavy in the end because there are SO MANY ruffles. With big fluffy dresses you want to try and make them as light weight as possible so that they won't be super uncomfortable to wear. Casa satin (about 6-7 bucks a yard) is decent quality and though it frays it's not hard to work with, I had to use about 17 yards of it for my Euphie dress. >_< Other than satin you could try some kind of poly blend that has a satin or silk look/feel too it, though these are usually harder to work with because of the quality.

Fem!Cas - Supernatural

~*~
Unread 06-07-2011, 03:19 PM   #6
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by liivingdeadgirl View Post
I mean in order to close the fabric you have three choices: A) you can fold up the hem and run a stitch along the edge B) you can fold the fabric in half so the stitching is only where it's attached to the dress and not on the ends C) used a rolled hem on a serger. Folding the fabric over (doubling it, essentially) probably wouldn't work because it would take a LOT of fabric, and be too heavy in the end because there are SO MANY ruffles. With big fluffy dresses you want to try and make them as light weight as possible so that they won't be super uncomfortable to wear. Casa satin (about 6-7 bucks a yard) is decent quality and though it frays it's not hard to work with, I had to use about 17 yards of it for my Euphie dress. >_< Other than satin you could try some kind of poly blend that has a satin or silk look/feel too it, though these are usually harder to work with because of the quality.
ah, thats what I thought you ment XP for ruffles I usually use option A and then use some no fray stuff to stop fraying or put some material tape over it... can you get casa satin at most fabric stores? I dont think I've seen it here in Canada at Fabricland..
Unread 06-07-2011, 05:05 PM   #7
liivingdeadgirl
Chicken Rice!

I can get it at any fabric store HERE in the US because it's common, but I don't know about Canada. You can always ask people at your local store, usually if they don't carry it they know of a store that does. I would say just order online but Joann's doesn't ship internationally and I can't think of any other stores off the top of my head that would ship there. =/

You might also check fashionfabricsclub.com. If you find something you think might work you can order a swatch for a small fee. I think they also allow you to ship back the fabric for a refund if you don't like it (you'd have to eat the shipping fee of course - I always recommend ordering swatches first when you have to order a ton of fabric for things like this).

I've never heard of this kind of satin, but it may work. But it's also $10 a yard. >_<
http://crafts.wittyshoppers.com/debu...c-bright-white

Fem!Cas - Supernatural

~*~

Last edited by liivingdeadgirl : 06-07-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Unread 08-08-2011, 03:28 PM   #8
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

New question... do I need a hoop skirt for this? how big of one if I do?
Unread 08-14-2011, 11:19 PM   #9
BlazeEdgeXIII

I'd say a 3 ring hoop skirt and a bit of tulle (3 yards) would do the trick. Heavier the fabric the more hoops you need. but always put tulle on top. It not only hides the hoop skirt but it makes the dress flow evenly. ^^
BlazeEdgeXIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2012, 01:57 PM   #10
purplevix
Daigakusei

I have a bit different idea, that might add a different feel to it. Do that bodice and front panel in the satin, and do the ruffles in a more sheer chiffon, a very fine tulle, or something along those lines. It'll make for a lighter final product, mitigate the fraying issue (depending on what kind you get), and adds an airy kind of feel that kind of works in an Angelic Euphemia kind of way (she is in Lelouch's mind anyway).

And mixing fabric like that is really in with wedding dresses right now anyway |D
purplevix is offline   Reply With Quote